LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox keeps asking to download .net 3.1.0

Zam

So this is the first time I'm even attempting to use Launchbox at all and the software simply refuses to work. 

It asks me to download the .net stuff, So I do that and install both the x64 and x86 versions. But Launchbox keeps asking me to install them when I already did that. I even checked to see if I downloaded the correct version number and it's 3.1.0.

It just refuses to work. 

22 hours ago, Zam said:

So this is the first time I'm even attempting to use Launchbox at all and the software simply refuses to work. 

It asks me to download the .net stuff, So I do that and install both the x64 and x86 versions. But Launchbox keeps asking me to install them when I already did that. I even checked to see if I downloaded the correct version number and it's 3.1.0.

It just refuses to work. 

The LaunchBox installer usually takes care of the dependencies for you. If you try to run the installer, do the dependencies not install for you?

Also, here's a link to the correct .NET Core installer. You'll need to choose .NET Desktop Runtime 3.1.21, the x64 version (more than likely, although it may be worth finding out whether you have x86 or x64 version of Windows).

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/3.1

No. I've tried reinstalling, but whatever dependencies it needs is simply not being installed for some reason. I have also tried installing 3.1.21 but that doesn't work either. I use 64 bit windows 10, but I installed both versions just to be sure. Launchbox still insists that these are not installed.

I would try running Command Prompt as Administrator and running "/sfc scannow" (Without quotes) and letting it run then restarting your computer. Sounds like the OS data that tells us you have the runtime installed has been corrupted or isn't working correctly. That process should correct.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm having this same issue.  Launchbox claims it needs ".NET Core 3.1".
I have installed:
- .net framework 4.8
- .net desktop runtime 3.1.x
- .net runtime 3.1.x
- ASP .net Core 3.1.x

I see this dialog when I install Lanchbox 12.5.  I did not try other versions, but if I go back to LB 10.1, I think it actually works.  I would double check that, but...

When I followed @C-Beats suggestion (which I think has a typo; the '/' should precede 'scannow'), the process said it found and fixed errors.  I rebooted my system and the explorer.exe process will launch, eat up 6 GB of RAM, crash, relaunch, and repeat.  Didn't expect this!  :D
I just reinstalled the OS (Win7) on this tonight, so starting over again is not a big deal, but if you have an suggestions about fixing the .NET Core 3.1 issue please share.  What else could be the cause of the issue?  Why does LB 12.5 need this, but 10.x doesn't?

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

11 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

LaunchBox version 11.3 switched to .NET Core.  Also, starting with version 11.7, LaunchBox is available in 64-bit only.

Thank you for your reply.
That's good to know!  What, then, is .NET Core?
Is it ASP .NET Core?  Or .NET Framework, .NET Runtime, or .NET Desktop Runtime?
Those are all listed beneath the only link on Microsofts site that refers to anything named ".NET Core", and there is no individual download with that name.  I have installed *all* of the distributables in that section, both specified versions and latest versions, of the site except the SDK itself.

Sorry I have to rely on this community to clear up Microsofts messes, but this also seems to be clearly a bug with Launchbox.  Even if I let Launchbox automatically download the version it says it needs, the issue still persists after installing that version (which is almost certainly the same among those I've installed manually).

I am running this on Win7x4 on an HP TouchSmart 610-1130y.  OS was freshly installed.  The system is a dedicated MAME machine.
Thank you for any additional help you can give.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to bump this since it was never actually fixed.  I got my system up and running with LB v10.1 again, but there are still issues with that situation that would be resolved by installing a later version of the software.  In order to do that, I need to figure out the problem with its recognition of its own requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumpity Bump.  I got a whole new gaming rig.  Installing Launchbox 12.5 has the same issue as reported above.  Here were my steps:
- Install Win10
- Set up all the things (typical process, can share details but should not affect this issue)
- Install Launchbox 12
   - Launchbox setup informs user that .NET Core 3.1.6 must be downloaded from the internet for Launchbox to run
   - Quit Launchbox setup
- Install .net-runtime 3.1.6
- Install .net framework 4.8 (included with Win10)
- Install .net desktop runtime 3.1.x
- Install ASP .net Core 3.1.x
  (all the versions of .NET I can find)
- Install Launchbox 12
   - Launchbox setup does not inform user of need to download .NET Core 3.1.6, and Launchbox installs as expected
- Launch Launchbox
   - At startup Launchbox prompts the user that .NET 3.1.6 is required to run, and asks if the user would like it downloaded now

This is kind of silly.  As with all my gaming rigs, this is an offline machine.  Can this issue please be addressed?  I am moving to download the latest version of LB now, since I now have no choice but to run Win10, but...  :/

Thank you for any assistance.

Edited by artician
.net version correction

On 3/26/2022 at 2:33 PM, artician said:

Update *SOLVED*

So it turns out another post elsewhere recommended just installing the SDK.
When I installed the SDK on my Windows 7 rig, the issue did not resolve.
When I installed the SDK today on my Win10 rig, the issue was resolved!  🥳

❤️

What is SDK?

ill google it in the meantime since im having this issue

On 4/1/2022 at 10:18 PM, Dyspare said:

What is SDK?

ill google it in the meantime since im having this issue

It stands for software development toolkit. It's basically tools for devs to develop software, and since Launchbox is built on .NET, its needs these tools to run.

Edited by scooter1974

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

LaunchBox does NOT need the SDK to run, only the runtime. SDK is used to create and compile applications using .NET Core, runtime just has all the code that those programs require to operate on your machine.

I stand corrected. This is why I'm not a developer :P

• 4 months later...

For LaunchBox version 12.14, it requires these dependencies:

Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable - https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=48145 

.Net Framework 4.8 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-net-framework-4-8-offline-installer-for-windows-9d23f658-3b97-68ab-d013-aa3c3e7495e0 (offline installer version) 

My machine already has .Net Core 3.1 installed, so not sure if this is in addition or not.  Attached is a screenshot of the LaunchBox install dependies. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by MooseXP