LaunchBox Community Forums

thimolor

Changing the name. It's going to be called
The Keep

Couple new shots taken from the demo. As you can see from the shots, I decided to show fan art for platforms that have no device image. There will be some smooth subtle animations everywhere. Going to make the Pause and Startup views also and the Options menu. Should look like THE KEEP all the way.

1518275061_BigBoxScreenshot-Lucidity-SystemView-2022-02-0819_16_08.thumb.jpg.417b66961a28ea19cf4db1c07d6c5fdd.jpg

114757788_BigBoxScreenshot-Lucidity-PlatformWheel2FiltersView-2022-02-0819_16_00.thumb.jpg.4a8be724912bc61e21423dc97ea62cd5.jpg

1123470469_BigBoxScreenshot-Lucidity-PlatformWheel2FiltersView-2022-02-0819_20_30.thumb.jpg.2fb3ca7977e316d243e2afa536b8a68c.jpg

• Like 4

The Keep will not happen. After doing extensive testing I'm not satisfied with the performance when using default game assets. For example many of the fan art and box art images are over 3 mb in size. They slow the wheels so much that you will encounter stuttering no matter how good pc you have. So going to go back to drawing board and make the much needed changes to get this theme behaving smoothly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Juketsu said:

The Keep will not happen. After doing extensive testing I'm not satisfied with the performance when using default game assets. For example many of the fan art and box art images are over 3 mb in size. They slow the wheels so much that you will encounter stuttering no matter how good pc you have. So going to go back to drawing board and make the much needed changes to get this theme behaving smoothly.

That's why in other launchers I try to have all my media converted taking in account some limits, like no more than 1920px width size and 1080px vertical size, only PNG for logos and wheels, and more optimizations steps. It's not only for crunch the size of multimedia library, but to make everything more fluid.

I know a lot of people will not like to convert their multimedia library, because they use 2k or 4k displays, or want the maximun detail on boxes and adverts to zoom in. But in term of performance, light files are better.

Anyway, hope you can fulfill your vision on this theme. The preview images are awesome and gives me hope to test this theme someday.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madcore said:

That's why in other launchers I try to have all my media converted taking in account some limits, like no more than 1920px width size and 1080px vertical size, only PNG for logos and wheels, and more optimizations steps. It's not only for crunch the size of multimedia library, but to make everything more fluid.

I know a lot of people will not like to convert their multimedia library, because they use 2k or 4k displays, or want the maximun detail on boxes and adverts to zoom in. But in term of performance, light files are better.

Anyway, hope you can fulfill your vision on this theme. The preview images are awesome and gives me hope to test this theme someday.

I think image optimizer could be a feature in LaunchBox. It could even make smaller file versions from the originals. And like you said Launchbox should only accept png for logos. No need to download png fan art at all.

Edited by Juketsu

3 hours ago, Juketsu said:

It could even make smaller file versions from the originals

Launchbox/Bigbox do already do this on the fly the first time a theme is used, this is what the LB-Cache and BB-Cache in the images folder are, resized images, resized to the size the in use theme requires.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Launchbox/Bigbox do already do this on the fly the first time a theme is used, this is what the LB-Cache and BB-Cache in the images folder are, resized images, resized to the size the in use theme requires.

Nice, didn't know how the caching actually worked. So even with image optimizations turned on it's a struggle to use assets as you wish. Animating and using box shadows kills the performance completely. Well, I just need to find ways to have visual impact without too much candy.

I think the image caching only affects wheel items. If there was a way to load these with the CTC to use as background etc. it could solve many of my problems. It looks like when making themes with CTC it uses only the original assets.

Edited by Juketsu

CTC to my knowledge only loads raw images for it's previews as opposed to cached images. Most image types at this point can be cached, though I believe there are a few that are not (like backgrounds). If you want to use a cached image you can use the FlowImage control and if that image group caches it will use it by default which can speed up load times. I'd be nice to get a theme dev controlled cache item for items/groups you know aren't changing but that isn't in the works just yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

CTC to my knowledge only loads raw images for it's previews as opposed to cached images. Most image types at this point can be cached, though I believe there are a few that are not (like backgrounds). If you want to use a cached image you can use the FlowImage control and if that image group caches it will use it by default which can speed up load times. I'd be nice to get a theme dev controlled cache item for items/groups you know aren't changing but that isn't in the works just yet.

Thanks for the info. I might try my luck with the FlowImage. Then again, I have already made the changes to get things run better.

• Like 1