LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox won't update.

jerryb

On 6/3/2022 at 9:09 AM, C-Beats said:

I've not ever seen this error reported. What are you attempting to do when you get it?

whenever I click to update launchbox, it says it downloads, but then that pops up, like I'm using the updater wrong, but all the input I have is to click is the yes I want to update, , it shuts down launchbox, downloads(apparently) then that earlier error comes up and it didn't and won't update.image.png.1ef85acb8ee410f09e098d0854d9f468.png

4 minutes ago, jerryb said:

I guess since it won't update , there is Never a reason for me to get another license once this one expires   image.thumb.png.68e6c43e363685effe2cc1ba4da61bc6.png

Oh stop with the nonsense threats, it's the weekend. Wait until people are actually back in the office and see your reply first. You like a little bit of time away from your day job right, how about offering the same courtesy to our devs?

• Like 1

I get the same error with every update, but I know why at least.

I moved all Launchbox files to a new partition that I made just for it, skipping the folder Launchbox.
With every update I have to move everything to a subfolder, install the update and move it back to the partition root.

Edited by lexx

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Oh stop with the nonsense threats, it's the weekend. Wait until people are actually back in the office and see your reply first. You like a little bit of time away from your day job right, how about offering the same courtesy to our devs?

Nonsense threats? Just pointing out the obvious. If there isn't a benefit to purchasing then there isn't a reason to do it.   I had tried to install it on drive d:  but it was strange trying to set it up with my games, so a friend suggested I put another drive in and we named it L;(for launchbox)  and he helped me set it up and it worked fine. Until you attempt to update. I've since went back and tried to remove any reference to the first attempt to install on d: in case that was causing an issue, but nothing helps. I've had the license for almost 2 months, and I thing the app does make it "prettier and more concise for my emulators", but I'm not even sure what the updates are for? is it even necessary? I know turning off it asking has been the best option so far. its quite literally all that is on this drive (and the games) so why not just keep using 12.9?   And I'm not trying to sound like a jerk I've been told my typing my thoughts and feelings comes off that way, I am just asking sincerely, that if it won't update, is my best and only choice to keep using the old version and tell it not to check? I admit I was originally hoping to keep all my stuff up to date, but if its not an option, is that so bad?  If I can't it's ok, but I had to try and ask since that was what they used as a selling point over the free version.  AND about a month ago I would guess I had already  posted this problem on here, but I think I may have put it in the wrong topic area...? I never got one reply to it.(which if its not in the right area is understandable)  Oh well have a good weekend, I'm going back and watch some streaming series..  :D 

image.thumb.png.b50a5e391958fb244678093619acd45b.png

Like I said, it happens when you put it into the root of a partition. Move everything to a folder and run the update.
You'll see that it works. After that you can move everything back.

I never reported that issue since I thought it was on purpose. Guess it was not.
Edit: Obviously without the system files as System Volume Information and the Recycle Bin.

Edited by lexx

20 hours ago, lexx said:

Like I said, it happens when you put it into the root of a partition. Move everything to a folder and run the update.
You'll see that it works. After that you can move everything back.

I never reported that issue since I thought it was on purpose. Guess it was not.
Edit: Obviously without the system files as System Volume Information and the Recycle Bin.

It's not actually an issue it is by design. LB will always try to install to a \Launchbox folder. So if the Launchbox.exe and supported folders are in the root of a drive it cannot update that version. In fact if you look in the image @jerryb provided in his last post you can see exactly that. You can see a Launchbox folder within the L:\ folder image. That was the update trying to install the latest version to L:\Launchbox\

Wow that makes my situation worse.  I don't have enough room to have my games on the drive twice, and doing one folder at a time is both time consuming and a pain. I tried it with one of my smaller groups, then figured screw that and tried copying it back, BUT now I can't play them on the older version even though they are there , it says they aren't, but the newer one will play it where I had installed it there also. So now I have 2 versions of Launchbox on. 1 for one console that I really never play, and the older one for everything else. I guess the time and space required, unfortunately made the choice for me. Please let me know if there is a fix or update that will allow my main one in the root directory to be updated. (I literally installed that spare drive of mine just for this) oh well have a great evening everyone.  Wish I had installed in in a sub directory originally, but c'est la vie

Just make 2 folders, call them whatever you like. Put your console stuff in one and the other stuff in the other one.

Having your Launchbox on the root of your drive is just pointless, it serves no benefit and only causes issues.

Set your drive up like this

L-
 - Launchbox1
 - Launchbox2
 - Games
    - sub folders separated by each platform
 - Emulators
    - sub folders for each emulator

11 hours ago, jerryb said:

Wow that makes my situation worse.  I don't have enough room to have my games on the drive twice, and doing one folder at a time is both time consuming and a pain. I tried it with one of my smaller groups, then figured screw that and tried copying it back, BUT now I can't play them on the older version even though they are there , it says they aren't, but the newer one will play it where I had installed it there also. So now I have 2 versions of Launchbox on. 1 for one console that I really never play, and the older one for everything else. I guess the time and space required, unfortunately made the choice for me. Please let me know if there is a fix or update that will allow my main one in the root directory to be updated. (I literally installed that spare drive of mine just for this) oh well have a great evening everyone.  Wish I had installed in in a sub directory originally, but c'est la vie

I would through all your folders that should be in the Launchbox folder into the actual Launchbox folder so that your Launchbox is no longer broken and will work correctly. Then simply change the rom paths for roms, this has to be done per platform but is very quick and easy, just highlight all games in a platform by clicking on one and using CTRL-A to highlight them all, then just head to Tools/File Management/Change Roms Folder Path For Selected Games and point it at the correct folder, repeat for each platform.

And in future dont mess with the folder structure of programs, programs and games are setup a specific way so that the program knows were to look for files and folders if you move those files and folders you are going to break things, i dont expect you install say a game in steam, then go and find that folder and move some of the files or folders in that elsewhere, cause that would obviously break the game, same thing here.

11 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I would through all your folders that should be in the Launchbox folder into the actual Launchbox folder so that your Launchbox is no longer broken and will work correctly. Then simply change the rom paths for roms, this has to be done per platform but is very quick and easy, just highlight all games in a platform by clicking on one and using CTRL-A to highlight them all, then just head to Tools/File Management/Change Roms Folder Path For Selected Games and point it at the correct folder, repeat for each platform.

And in future dont mess with the folder structure of programs, programs and games are setup a specific way so that the program knows were to look for files and folders if you move those files and folders you are going to break things, i dont expect you install say a game in steam, then go and find that folder and move some of the files or folders in that elsewhere, cause that would obviously break the game, same thing here.

I clipped a sub folder "Atari Jaguar" since I don't really like those much. and pasted them in the 2nd level  games folder. I then copied the folder back.  If I want to play them I can go to the sub folder and launch that launchbox.exe. All the others still play on the 12.9. so its no big deal. and truly its not worth a lot of effort to change.  I can play any of my games whenever I want, and I don't even have much time with my job currently to play anyway. the structure is copied back to how it was and I'm sure if I though it was worth the time I could get the jaguar games to work on the old one too. and it would be way less time consuming than trying to get all the others into a newer version. so meh, it works ok. on a side note I don't understand what you were trying to say here, sorry for my ignorance, but again its no biggie.   image.thumb.png.6aacbc967fd250da77ab74f0108c1a36.png