LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox startup video intermittent black screen, audio playing

Gangor

I've been focusing on my cabinet build so I recently fired the computer back up and permitted it to update Launchbox a couple versions. When I start BigBox, the startup video intermittently displays a black screen while the audio plays.  Once the video completes, it then displays BigBox.  I tried swapping videos and using different copies, but this occurs with any video (.mp4) that is placed in the Startup folder.  This issue was never observed before I updated to the latest Launchbox.

Any advice is appreciated.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'd like to bump this. 5 months later, I continue to update to the latest versions of Launchbox, all drivers and Windows are current and I installed vlc as the default media player as I saw it was the recommended player somewhere for Launchbox and the issue still intermittently occurs. Only difference now is the audio doesn't seem to play anymore when the black screen occurs. If I hit any button to bypass the startup video, it then jumps right to Bigbox including audio as if nothing was wrong.

Is there no one that is seeing this issue?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to bump this thread as well. 

I'm running 13.8.

When I start up Big box (either manually from Launchbox or by setting it to boot up as the windows shell) it will only play the startup video about 24-30 percent of the time.  The other times it will boot up and only show a black screen.  It will sit on that black screen until I press the A button on my controller.  Once I press the button I hear the music and it goes to the main screen as it should.  

I've tried downloading multiple startup videos and it happens to them all.  I don't know what is causing this, but it's very frustrating.  It's like I'm playing roulette each time I start it up...sometimes it plays, sometimes it doesn't.  

Thank you

Update from my post on October 5th, I tried putting the media player back to Windows and the issue persists, with both Windows Media player and VLC...both which have been suggested to use to resolve the issue. It is intermittent and does occur with any startup video. Majority of the time when the issue occurs, you can skip to the interface by hitting the button, but sometimes you need to outright shut the machine down.

There are clearly many of us with the issue, so who can we get this in front of to look into this big?

11 hours ago, Gangor said:

Update from my post on October 5th, I tried putting the media player back to Windows and the issue persists, with both Windows Media player and VLC...both which have been suggested to use to resolve the issue. It is intermittent and does occur with any startup video. Majority of the time when the issue occurs, you can skip to the interface by hitting the button, but sometimes you need to outright shut the machine down.

There are clearly many of us with the issue, so who can we get this in front of to look into this big?

Yes, this problem is preventing me from using Big Box as a standalone interface.  

I also tried switching from VLC to Media Player and back.  Same results with both.  However, my videos for each game don't work when I switch to Media Player...they only play with the VLC setting.  I've also tried playing around with codecs on the pc itself (using things like Klite Codec pack) and it made no difference.

Launchbox....Please help us with this issue. 

Thank you

I’ve noticed this as well. All my videos work but sometimes my start up video hangs on a black screen with no audio or video until I hit a button which takes me the main wheel. Never have an issue with any other videos so I’m wondering if Bigbox is taking too long to load something else which is causing the video to hang? At least I know it’s not just me. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone find a solution to this?  I just (grudgingly) updated to Windows 10 from 7 and now startup videos only work 30% of the time on the fresh Windows startup.  It works without issue after Windows is fully up and running if I close BigBox and reopen it though.  Wondering if VLC is taking too long to load and BigBox somehow is loading faster?   I have all the latest VLC updates and GPU updates for Windows 10 already installed.

@Jason Carr @faeran @Lordmonkus Hey guys, I'm not sure who we should be pinging to get the right eyes on this, but hoping you can help. We (everyone in this thread) have spent countless hours building an arcade cabinet and a number of us appear to have a significant bug that intermittently occurs when launching BB. It's quite frustrating to have this occur especially when we are "showing off" our builds to friends and family. I'm happy to work through this with someone from LB, provide logs and anything else. 

Please help, thanks!

I've only had this happen when having Big Box launch automatically at boot of OS. It was random. not once has it occurred any other time. I came to the conclusion it was my own fault for having too many things starting at boot of OS. Think about it, you cannot have X number of apps starting up at the same time and they all somehow, magically, get prioritized. There is going to be a hierarchy of process A before B before C and so on. For ex I notice AHK script tray icons will not display due to this same phenomenon. The scripts are running, just tray icon never populated. The solution is to delay them a bit, say like sometimes just 2 seconds, sometimes more like 20 seconds (you're going to need to use Task Scheduler or some script to launch things at specific timed intervals for this). Point being it puts a strain on the system having a gazillion things launching at once. Videos playing are not immune to this. I would get a black screen video. No audio. But could still hit any input to skip through the startup video as normally intended.

When I launch Big Box say like 35 seconds after boot into OS instead of immediately or just a few secs after, this issue doesn't happen. Frankly, I think we all are expecting too much. You just need to jump through the hoops and play the game (the game of finding workarounds that is, not the video game  lolz). I'd bet if everyone of you just delayed launching Big Box longer after OS boot you would never see this issue again.

I have no experience with using Big Box as shell, just not my preference.

@skizzosjt I appreciate the feedback, but at least in my case I don't believe that to be the issue. I have a dedicated high end PC running the show with nothing unnecessary installed and running. I've experienced the video blackout after numerous scenarios: BB as shell, windows as shell launching BB as soon as PC loaded and after the PC has sat idle and  online for hours which excludes any startup tasks and services.

If I repeatedly close BB and restart it, majority of the time it loads fine, but it's fairly easy to replicate the issue. I've even disabled antivirus and system backup to remove them from the equation.

Any and all suggestions are welcome here guys.

22 hours ago, Gangor said:

@skizzosjt I appreciate the feedback, but at least in my case I don't believe that to be the issue. I have a dedicated high end PC running the show with nothing unnecessary installed and running. I've experienced the video blackout after numerous scenarios: BB as shell, windows as shell launching BB as soon as PC loaded and after the PC has sat idle and  online for hours which excludes any startup tasks and services.

If I repeatedly close BB and restart it, majority of the time it loads fine, but it's fairly easy to replicate the issue. I've even disabled antivirus and system backup to remove them from the equation.

Any and all suggestions are welcome here guys.

I didn't mean to imply this has to do with running a potato PC, like a system that genuinely doesn't have the muscle and bottlenecks. that's a whole different story. My systems would be considered high end too so this issue is not related to a traditional bottleneck. I just mean at boot of the OS is doing a lot and is going to eat a lot of CPU usage during that sequence, so in my case making sure to stagger a few things made a noticeable difference. when I got stuff like Steam, Rockstar, Epic, Uplay, Big Box, scripts, HWInfo, FanControl, remappers, etc stuff ALL getting launched at the exact moment UEFI hands it over to the OS that is too much to ask sometimes. (along with all the other background processes being launched by the system) And doing all that at once would sometimes result in the black screen video without audio. I noticed sometimes FanControl wouldn't initialize properly, and AHK scripts sometimes wouldn't have their tray icons display. Reading up on both of them, the suggestions were to delay their launch at boot so literally all I changed was those two apps and Big Box to be launched later after OS boot and it was enough of a change that the issue hasn't occurred since.

No idea on what else to suggest. I don't find this issue listed as a bitbucket ticket. If you really want to see it addressed, you should fill out a ticket and get other impacted users to up vote it.

1 hour ago, superrob3000 said:

Try disabling the Windows Search Indexer. That worked for me when I recently started seeing this issue. It hasn't happened since.

Does this impact searching for system stuff, such as "disk management" or "registry editor", or would it only slow down searches for files that are normally indexed? for ex "myScriptFile.ahk" located somewhere on your C: drive?

5 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

Does this impact searching for system stuff, such as "disk management" or "registry editor", or would it only slow down searches for files that are normally indexed? for ex "myScriptFile.ahk" located somewhere on your C: drive?

As far as I know it just makes searches for files slower. It's not something I'm concerned about on my arcade and the search index service was definitely what was causing the issue for me when trying to launch BigBox as soon as the OS booted.

I feel this could be related to the issues i have in launchbox with videos playing but remaining black. There seems to be a real problem with video playback in both launchbox and big box that is very difficult to replicate, and when you have the problem it only happens about 50% of the time (for me at least). My setup has worked fine for weeks, and the only thing i have changed are more games added, so i have no idea why i have started having video problems.