LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME roms detected in LB even if they aren't present into my romset

legolas119

hi,

i have a strange issue. Well, until MAMEUI was available (i think until 0.248 version), i imported the complete romset in Launchbox. Later, i changed my frontend, from MAMEUI to ARCADE64: this frontend doesn0t support ALL the MAME/MAMEUI games (for example it doesn't consider not working games, and so on).

So, i totally rebuilt my MAMEUI romset with CLRMAME using ARACDE64 in order to have the new romset supported by ARCADE64. Starting from 0.249, i imported in LB the ARCADE64 romset: the first time i imported the romset i perfomred a new clean import. Later, i updated the ARCADE64 romset in LB choosing this option:

Cattura.png

So i suppose i loaded in LB only the ARCADE64 roms.

But today, checking the missing videos/screenshots mame games, i noticed that there are several games without screenshots/videos and others media..but their roms aren't present into my ARACDE64 roms folder!  Why? FOr example "Conchess" game:

Cattura2.png

this game isn't present in my MAME roms folder...so...why it is detected after the full import romset of Arcade64?

Same issues with several others games with missing media, like Bill Elliott's NASCAR Racing (knascar.zip), Chess King (chesskng.zip) and so on...  it seems that i have into my LB romset games not present in my MAME roms folder...but i don't understand why...

I would like to have only the roms present into my roms folder, supported by ARCADE64 frontend.

When i update the MAME collection, i delete the emulator and then i perform the full import  choosing "Update MAME emulator" (i choosed "Automatically Install and COnfigure MAME" the first time i imported the ARCADE64 romset).

Thank you very much for your help!

5 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

hi,

i have a strange issue. Well, until MAMEUI was available (i think until 0.248 version), i imported the complete romset in Launchbox. Later, i changed my frontend, from MAMEUI to ARCADE64: this frontend doesn0t support ALL the MAME/MAMEUI games (for example it doesn't consider not working games, and so on).

So, i totally rebuilt my MAMEUI romset with CLRMAME using ARACDE64 in order to have the new romset supported by ARCADE64. Starting from 0.249, i imported in LB the ARCADE64 romset: the first time i imported the romset i perfomred a new clean import. Later, i updated the ARCADE64 romset in LB choosing this option:

Cattura.png

So i suppose i loaded in LB only the ARCADE64 roms.

But today, checking the missing videos/screenshots mame games, i noticed that there are several games without screenshots/videos and others media..but their roms aren't present into my ARACDE64 roms folder!  Why? FOr example "Conchess" game:

Cattura2.png

this game isn't present in my MAME roms folder...so...why it is detected after the full import romset of Arcade64?

Same issues with several others games with missing media, like Bill Elliott's NASCAR Racing (knascar.zip), Chess King (chesskng.zip) and so on...  it seems that i have into my LB romset games not present in my MAME roms folder...but i don't understand why...

I would like to have only the roms present into my roms folder, supported by ARCADE64 frontend.

When i update the MAME collection, i delete the emulator and then i perform the full import  choosing "Update MAME emulator" (i choosed "Automatically Install and COnfigure MAME" the first time i imported the ARCADE64 romset).

Thank you very much for your help!

This is all due to you using the MAME fullset importer when you in fact don't actually have a full MAME romset. The way this specific importer works is that it gets the working games list from the mame.exe itself, it doesnt actually scan your roms in any way as it is expected that you have a full romset, when using the full romset importer. If you don't have a full romset you should be using the standard rom importer and specifying it to use MAME naming and metadata in the wizard.

Edited by neil9000

aaah! ok!

so i have to delete again the MAME platform and all its 41 playlis t (without deleting all the media, of course!). Then i perform a Import ROM choosing "Add Folder"  and then:

Cattura.png+

Cattura2.png

Cattura3.png

I check NONE in order not to download again all the media (After the full import, i will select all the games and i will download only the missing media):

Cattura4.png

Same as above, i check NONE:
Cattura5.png

and here i check the last option:

Cattura6.png

Cattura8.png

Is this the right procedure? After that, i will select all MAME imported games and i download only the missing media. And i have to set MAME as parent of all the 41 playlist (unfortunately it is not possible to to that simultaneoulsy). 

If this is the right procedure, which is the procedure for the next time, when i have to update it?  I simply have to do same steps (delete MAME and all the roms, start again the import of the roms folder, etc..)?

thanks!

hi,

thanks.

Well, months and months ago, someone suggeted me here into the forum not to use the "Scan for Added/REmoved system roms" as it could introduce some issues..  Do these 2 functionalities work fine?

I tried Scan for Added MAME roms and it doesn't add any new roms, as I suppose. I tried Scan for Removed MAME roms and it asked me to remove about 240 unsupported roms. Now the total roms amount decreased from 3175 to 2998.

I suppose that if i delete the MAME platfomr and i import it again following the steps i listed above, LB should import 2998 roms, am I right?

thanks!

2 hours ago, legolas119 said:

hi,

thanks.

Well, months and months ago, someone suggeted me here into the forum not to use the "Scan for Added/REmoved system roms" as it could introduce some issues..  Do these 2 functionalities work fine?

I tried Scan for Added MAME roms and it doesn't add any new roms, as I suppose. I tried Scan for Removed MAME roms and it asked me to remove about 240 unsupported roms. Now the total roms amount decreased from 3175 to 2998.

I suppose that if i delete the MAME platfomr and i import it again following the steps i listed above, LB should import 2998 roms, am I right?

thanks!

If you use the Full Mame Romset import option the "scan for" options does not work. That options is really only for when you import roms without using the Full Set importer. 

If you initially imported your Mame roms via the "Full Set" import option you do not need to delete the old import at all if you updated your rom set to a newer version and update Mame as well. The full set importer does not actually import files like the other methods do. It just gathers the list of working rom based off the version of Mame you are running and generates the game list. So anytime you update just run the importer again. 

ok thanks. Now, i could try to delete in any case the Platform and its roms set already imported and import them again following the steps i posted above, in my frst post (checking "Forse using MAME metadata"). After that, i suppose i should have again 2998 roms. And i will not use anymore the FULL MAME romset import as i'm not using anymore MAMEUI.exe, i'm using Arcade64.exe.

When i will have to update the romset, in order to be sure that the update considers the new roms and deletes the roms not anymore supported, it is better to delete the platform again and perform again the import (NOT the MAME full import, of course)? I read time ago that if i simply perform a new import, LB add the new roms but doesn't delete the roms not supported anymore...

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i tried to delete MAME platform and import it again following the steps we discussed above, in this way:

uno.png

Due.png

1st question: after that i manually moved every playlist under the MAME platform: but i notice an issue: with the MAME FULLSET import, i have 41 playlist.  Now, using the normal roms import, i only have 20 playlist...even if i checked as i showed above... why? Half of the playlist are missing...?

list.png

I noticed that in the following step, LB doesn't easily accept "MAME" (it is the name of my platform and all its folder in LB). It accept "Mame" or "MaME".  I have to manually force "MAME". Is this the problem? 

test1.png

test2.png

2) second question: Is this the right procedure if i don't use anymore MAMEUI.exe and i use now Arcade64.exe?   Now i have 2875 games (previously i had 2998 games).

3) third question: when i will need to update the romset (usually i update the romset every 3 months), after updating as usual my roms folder, in Launchbox i only have to choose "Scan for Added roms in currently selected platform and "Scan for Removed roms in currently selected platform". Is this correct? 

thanks!

Edited by legolas119

• 2 weeks later...

is it possible to add the missing playlist into my ARCADE romset? Here below the missing playlist into my Arcade64 configuration:

Cattura.png

i have only these:

list.png

I usppose i can't use the same playlist created during the MAME full import...but how can i create the missing playlist into the ARCADE64 configuration too?

thanks

If you can find MAME category ini files for those playlists you want, you can create the playlists with this plugin.  In the plugin description, it describes where you can find some and also create-and-download them (read this comment) for importing.  You could also create them long-hand if you follow the ini formatting (though may be tedious).

thanks! So, i started to create the 21 missing playlist that were available when i imported the MAME fullset. Now i have creater the  2 Players, CHD Working and Balls & Paddles games and then i put them under MAME parent:

mame.png

This is their name:

arcade2.png

But these 3 playlist don't detect the icon of the playlist and the Clear Logo because the playlist i have created in this way, have different name in the new folder created into the LaunchBox\Images\Playlists section:

mame3.png

It seems that in order to automatically detect both Clear Logo and Playlist Icon,  i have to rename the Nested Name

mame5.png

with the same name of the Playlist icon:

mame4.png

In this way, it seems that LB automatically copy the CLear Logo file from the old name folder to the new one.

Do you know if i have to rename additional files in order to correctly detect every image of the manually created playlist?

Is this the right way?

thanks!

EDIT: i noticed that a lot of the playlist that were automatically created from LB during the MAME full import aren't available in any of the .ini files into the websites suggested into the topic you opied above (i usually download all those playlist at every mame release). It is quite strange, it seems that LB create by itseld new playlist, not considering any criteria from the .ini file from MAME..?

For example I'm unable to find the following 6 playlist: Arcade Beat Em Ups, Arcade Flying Games, Arcade Light Gun Games, Arcade Run & Gun Games, Arcade Shoot Em Ups, Vertically Oriented Games. They aren't present in genre.ini file and in any other .ini file...

Edited by legolas119

hi, pleaase can anyoe have an idea how to add the missing playlist? For example, during the automatic import in LB of the MAME fullset, it created the Fighting and BEat em Up playlist.  If i try to create the playlist as suggested above, using the .ini files from MAE, i can only create Fighting playlist. 

Do you know how i can create the Beat em up playlist?  I still have the missing playlist that i had when i imported the MAME fullset:

mame6.png

but i suppose i can't put them into the Playlist folder because they were related to the MAME full import set. So they aren''t correct for the import of the Arcade64 romset that i perfomed not using the MAME full import  method...

thanks

• 1 month later...

DOne, perfect, it is a really easy way to create all the missing playlist after the Arcade64 fullromset import!  There is only ONE missing playlist not recreated: Vertically Oriented Games.xml and  CHD Required.

I can manually create the CHD required playlist using the method explained in this thread, (see above). But i don't know how to add the Vertically Oriented Games...is this playlist removed from the official MAME playlist? If so, is it normal that LB doesn't create it as a missing playlist. I had it months ago when i used MAME fullset, i don't know why now it i choose Create missing playlist it doesn't re-create it... do you have any idea?

thank you!

Edited by legolas119