LaunchBox Community Forums

Random Black Screen with Audio only on game Videos in Launchbox

darreldearth

For the past few years, I have occasionally encountered a black screen with audio playing when clicking random games in Launchbox. If I pause the video and play it again, it works normally. It also works normally if I click out of the Launchbox window and back into it. This is essentially the same as pausing and unpausing the video by clicking out of the Launchbox window. I am using VLC. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and has managed to fix it. Thank you.

• 6 months later...

Yup, i look at game in LB, change to another and suddenly that game shows only black screen with audio playing. I Switch to other games back and forth , back and forth and after few times videos shows. I did not experience that before (i didnt check LB since summer) so about same time as you.

Sometimes video is not black but instead it is cut down to 1/10th of the size and displayed in a small corner...

P.S

I think it might be theme issue actually. Default one.

I was using default plus before i didnt see that happening there

P.P.S

It's not the theme. Just happened out of blue on another theme

Edited by Undertherainbow

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here, on a brand-new installation of LB using the default theme.  VLC plays sound but just black video on every game in the extra information bar on the right; messing with the video in any way (e.g. maximizing the video, then minimizing it) fixes things for that video, but same issue on all the others.  Not a big deal, and easy to fix by using Windows Media Player, but since LB says VLC preferred, feels "not right".  The only other thing running here is OBS, but it is not actively recording.

• 3 months later...

I have exactly the same problem - both the videos just being a black box (but with the video playing, as the sound is audible), and also the video appearing very small in the corner (less often). Default theme. This is with VLC. With WMP, the videos often don't play at all.

• 1 month later...

This was never an issue on my previous install but now, with a new install, this has begun happening to me as well. I would switch to Windows Media Player but the videos play WAY too loud with that player. Anyone figure out a solution?

Black Screen videos, videos shrinking into the corner and general lag are all VLC issues.

You need to change to WMP in options.
By doing this if you have any videos that aren't in standard mp4 format they won't play at all so installing a codec pack is necessary.

https://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_basic.htm

There's a volume slider in the top bar of LB if they're too loud.

@Audioout
@Retrofrogg

Edited by Rlad