LaunchBox Community Forums

PCSX2 Configurator Next Beta 2

(19 reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

PCSX2 Configurator Next for LaunchBox
PCSX2 Configuartor Next is a plugin for LaunchBox that allows users to easily configure PCSX2 on a per-game basis. The plugin also allows for pre-optimised configs to be downloaded from right within LaunchBox for a whole host of popular PS2 games, from Zombeaver's excellent PS2 Configuration Project.

Installation
The plugin is easy to install and simply needs to be downloaded and extracted. The archive contains a folder called "PCSX2 Configurator Next", this should be placed in the root of the "Plugins" in the user's LaunchBox directory. Any previous versions of the plugin should be removed before attempting to install this version.

General Usage
The plugin is relatively straight forward to use, but has been changed significantly from previous versions. You will first need to have PCSX2 (1.5.0 development build) setup as an emulator in LaunchBox. Then right click on a PS2 Game and choose "PCSX2 Configurator" from near the bottom of the context menu. This will present a menu of options:

"Create Config" - Creates a new config for the game in question based on the users current PCSX2 settings, If a config already exists this will overwrite that config with a new one.

"Download Config" - This will download one of Zombeaver's Config and set it up to be ready to play for the selected game, this will be greyed out if now config is available, and will change to "Update Config" if a new update is available for the downloaded config.

"Remove Config" - This will remove the current config for the selected game, and will be greyed out if there is no current config.

"Configure With PCSX2" - This will open PCSX2 with the config for the selected game loaded, allowing you to customise your config for the selected game (Downloaded Config's can also be tweaked). Once a game has a created config this can also be done using LaunchBox's built in "Configure" from the games context menu. Both these options will be greyed out if there is no config for the selected game.

There is also a "settings.ini" file created in the plugins folder ("%LaunchBoxDir%/Plugins/PCSX2 Configurator Next"), this can be tweaked manually but most settings don't need to be touched in most cases. Some people may wish to change the "GameConfigsDir" which is where the created configs are stored, this deafults to the users PCSX2 "inis" directory. There is currently no inteface to modify these settings, but that is planned in a future version.

Version Info and The Next in The Name
This version of the plugin is the successor to the original PCSX2 Configurator plugin, with a completely re-worked codebase from that version, and full compatibility with LaunchBox.Next (which is now the current version of LaunchBox). The main reason "Next" was added to the name is to initially seperate it from that (now discontinued) verison of the plugin. This release is currently in Beta and the "Next" from the name will probably be dropped eventually for a stable release with more features.

Credit and Support
I have personally put a lot of time and effort into all versions of this plugin, with it essentially being my free-time pet project for the last year and a half. Though I know the plugin would not be what it is today without Zombeaver who really helped me to bring this plugin to the next level, by allow me to integrate his PS2 configurations into it as well as creating artwork and helping me test the plugin. I would also like to say a big thank you to spectral, neil9000, and kmoney for helping me out with testing, and of course Jason Carr for making LaunchBox and implementing some of my requested changes into the plugin engine. I intend to keep working on this plugin, and fix any reported bugs as well as update the plugin with new features. So if you have any problem or feature request's hop over to the plugins thread on the forums and let me know. The project is also open sourced under the MIT license and can be found on my github.

UPDATE (JUNE 2020): This Plugin is now in maintenance mode, and is nearing end of life. I am currently working on a standalone version that will serve the same purpose, which will also be made to work with LaunchBox. The progress of that can be found here

What's New in Version Beta 2   See changelog

Released

New in This Release:

• Custom Command Line Parameters can now be specified a part of a config. A file called "cli.txt" should be placed in config directory with parameters separated by commas and/or line breaks.
  • User can now have multiple versions of PSCX2. The Title of the version that the plugin will use can now be specified in Settings.ini (Pcsx2BuildTitle).
  • Nicer handling of Absolute Paths. All Absolute paths are qualified from the drive's root and no longer reference the LaunchBox directory.
  • Configs directory can now be relative to the PCSX2 directory. This is now the default behaviour
  • No error will be shown if a non critical PCSX2 base config file is missing when downloading a config, before this crashed the plugin.
  • Custom command line parameters will now always update when wrong and/or missing information, but if all information provided is correct edits can still be made.
  • Nicer Drop Shadow on Title Text, also added text-wrap for longer titles.
  • Plugin now uses the PCSX2 Icon.
  • Major Code changes and refactor (Does not affect User).
  • Just a quick note about Updating from a previous release. I advise you first delete your Settings.ini file from the plugins directory, and let the plugin recreate it, as this version handles some of the settings slightly differently.

HOTFIX September 2020 - fix for new versions of Launchbox (11.4+), with new folder structure

HOTFIX June 2020 - fixes issue with issue with pnach files not overwriting existing files, also adds widescreen as default for remote configs

HOTFIX April 2020 - fixes issue with 7zip being moved to third party folder

• Like 23
  • Thanks 19
  • Unusual Gem 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

5 minutes ago, Thornback said:

You legend, thanks so much for the quick fix. Works like a charm now.

^. I gotta remind myself not to update to prevent something like this from happening again. Is there a way to turn off the update pop-up whenever I launch launchbox?

4 hours ago, Yanni said:

^. I gotta remind myself not to update to prevent something like this from happening again. Is there a way to turn off the update pop-up whenever I launch launchbox?

Go to Tools, Options, General, Updates and uncheck the boxes you don't want for auto updating. 

I tested the recent Hotfix in LB 11.4 and now on new 11.5 Beta1. I see the PCSX2 Configurator and its PS2 logo on the context menu when I right-click on a PS2 game but then when I select it, the Menu does not show up. I made sure I delete the previous "PCSX2 Configurator Next" folder from the LB Plugins folder. I am also using PCSX2 version 1.6.. Have you guys, just overwritten the new Hotfix over the previous version or changed something?

Edited by bbneo

10 minutes ago, bbneo said:

I tested the recent Hotfix in LB 11.4 and now on new 11.5 Beta1. I see the PCSX2 Configurator and its PS2 logo on the context menu when I right-click on a PS2 game but then when I select it, the Menu does not show up. I made sure I delete the previous "PCSX2 Configurator Next" folder from the LB Plugins folder. I am also using PCSX2 version 1.6.. Have you guys, just overwritten the new Hotfix over the previous version or changed something?

Are you using any other plugins, like the playtime tracker for example?

No. Just that PCSX2 plugin. 
I did a fresh installation of LB 15.1 Beta1 on a spare SSD and just added PS2 emulator and a couple of games to test. There the plugin work as it should. That's odd. There must be some settings on my main LB that conflicts with the PCSX2 Configurator. I will continue the investigation to what is preventing the plugin to load. Said, there is no log generated by the plugin.

Edited by bbneo

3 minutes ago, bbneo said:

No. Just that PCSX2 plugin. 
I did a fresh installation of LB 15.1 Beta1 on a spare SSD and just added PS2 emulator and a couple of games to test. There the plugin work as it should. That's odd. There must be some settings on my main LB that conflicts with the PCSX2 Configurator. I will continue the investigation to what is preventing the plugin to load. Said, there is no log generated by the plugin.

Yeah its working fine for me on the same 11.5 beta 1.

image.thumb.png.ff7ad71b16f4488a5aabd86d269dac6d.png

Yeah, that some weird things that happened on my LB which I cannot explain atm. I love this plugin and used it often before it crashed on LB version 11.3 release.  Now just replace it by the new hotfix and it no longer starts properly. I will report back once I find the problem. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

No you're not alone.. this plugin  hasn't worked for ages (for me), and my computer is up-to-date and everything else works in the collection...I was also told it was something wrong my collection, but all evidence seems contrary to that; clearly it's something wrong with the plug-in, some sort of conflict with something commonly being used (but not universally?). No idea.

7 hours ago, cleverest said:

No you're not alone.. this plugin  hasn't worked for ages (for me), and my computer is up-to-date and everything else works in the collection...I was also told it was something wrong my collection, but all evidence seems contrary to that; clearly it's something wrong with the plug-in, some sort of conflict with something commonly being used (but not universally?). No idea.

I very much doubt it is the plug-in when it works for the majority. The poster above has advised that it works as intended on a new install which all but confirms that it is set-up related. Especially if you had it running in the past.

6 hours ago, Thornback said:

I very much doubt it is the plug-in when it works for the majority. The poster above has advised that it works as intended on a new install which all but confirms that it is set-up related. Especially if you had it running in the past.

Well you would be wrong, at least in my case, as I've freshly installed it several times since it failed, completely RE-DID my collection at one point, and it still doesn't work.  (also had bought a new PC, so that's ALSO NEW)

4 minutes ago, cleverest said:

Well you would be wrong, at least in my case, as I've freshly installed it several times since it failed, completely RE-DID my collection at one point, and it still doesn't work.  (also had bought a new PC, so that's ALSO NEW)

What does not work exactly?

2 hours ago, cleverest said:

Are you using other plugins as well? Its working just fine here on 11.5 Beta 2, but i have seen evidence in our Discord of it not working if you are also using the Playtime Tracker plugin. So i would remove all plugins and see if it works. If it does work simply add plugins back one by one and test until it stops working to isolate what is interfering.

image.thumb.png.19bf62eef787b5cef588c4ee6473fe94.png

12 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Are you using other plugins as well? Its working just fine here on 11.5 Beta 2, but i have seen evidence in our Discord of it not working if you are also using the Playtime Tracker plugin. So i would remove all plugins and see if it works. If it does work simply add plugins back one by one and test until it stops working to isolate what is interfering.

image.thumb.png.19bf62eef787b5cef588c4ee6473fe94.png

It could be the playtime tracker plugin... although I have no idea when I added that vs. when it stopped working. I'll try to remove that and see what happens. Thanks.

Thank you so much for fixing the plugin!

So the plugin is working again. the only problem im having right now is whenever i set up a configuaration, and open the game via double clicking it, it reverts back to the old configuration. but whenever i choose the configure option and play it from there. the configurator applies. am i doing something wrong?

Hey great plugin!  Can't wait for your successor.  Just wanted to ask, after using it to download the settings, how can I be sure that the custom settings files are even being used when I open the game out of Launchbox?  Do I need to reference these files somehow?

Thanks!

On 9/4/2020 at 12:00 AM, bbneo said:

Yeah, that some weird things that happened on my LB which I cannot explain atm. I love this plugin and used it often before it crashed on LB version 11.3 release.  Now just replace it by the new hotfix and it no longer starts properly. I will report back once I find the problem. 

Cheers.

Ok, I am back with what could have been the issues with the Plug-In not showing up on my LB system... 

Believe it or not but after toying around with files and folders and never being able to replicate the problem on other HDD, I started to think that it was my drive that was the problem. That's when I noticed that my main LB Installation drive was formated with exFAT file system.

To troubleshoot, I istalled a fresh LB copy on an old 2TB HDD that I specially format with exFAT and added just the PS2 platform. The Plug-In did not work. I then re-formated the same 2TB drive with NTFS, did the same installation and guess what the Plug-In worked. 

For those that think this is a random issue, I repeated the test above 2 times and can confirm the exFAT FS was the culprit in this case. 

Sooo, those of you who are still facing this Plug-In issue, check the FS of your HDD. Please share you experience.

Edit: LB version used was the latest 11.8.

I may test LB version 11.5 which the one where I noticed this problem.

Edit 2 and Update: I actually tested former LB 11.2 and used the Plugin version Beta "Released June 24". The result was that all run well on exFAT and NTFS FS. 

So, I think that starting LB 11.4 a change was implemented that caused exFAT formated drives no longer be compatible with the Plug-In.

Edited by bbneo

Hi, the memory cards are not loaded/imported, so I can't continue my progress that I had in PCSX2 standalone before using Launchbox and this plugin.

Is there a way to fix this? The configs are identical for the memory card options.

@alec100_94 This plugin has been killer, and the standalone last year was great also!!! I have been risking it periodically and updating PCSX2 (and making backups previous to...). My last working build with this plugin was 1.7.0-dev-1288 (Sometime in May I think?). Tonight I downloaded 1.7.0-dev-1546, and now the configs do not apply. Everything is default. Not sure if you can pull any quick magic, but I wanted to give you a heads up if you weren't aware. I know you warned us that this may not work with current builds, but until now it was working great! I was able to roll back my PCSX2 version and keep ahold of my configs. Thank you again!!!

5 minutes ago, FangGuard said:

Yeah, its not working with LaunchBox 11.15

You're kidding?!

EDIT: Lies.. I tested with 11.15 and all is working as it should.

Edited by Thornback