LaunchBox Community Forums

BannerBox 2.1

(11 reviews)

5 Screenshots

About This File

Logo.png.7a761e9ba2294e488a6d34cade79004e.png

Welcome to Faeran's BannerBox. A horizontal banner based theme, inspired by 80s retro. This theme requires that you be running LaunchBox 11.10 or later due to its reliance on the new wheel.

The following info is now considered legacy:

Spoiler

This base theme has banners for the following systems (Some System packs will be released separately):

Spoiler

Arcade
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Jaguar CD
Atari Lynx
Atari XEGS
Bally Astrocade
Casio PV-1000
ColecoVision
Entex Adventure Vision
Fairchild Channel F
GCE Vectrex
Mattel Intellivision
NEC PC Engine
NEC TurboGrafx-16
*Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 64
Nintendo 64DD
*Nintendo DS
Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo GameCube
Nintendo Pokemon Mini
Nintendo Virtual Boy
*Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Sega 32X
Sega CD
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Sega Mark III
Sega Master System
Sega Saturn
Sega SG-1000
SNK Neo Geo AES
SNK Neo Geo CD
SNK Neo Geo Pocket
SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
Sony Playstation
*Sony Playstation 2
*Sony PSP
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
VTech CreatiVision

*Only a small amount of banners were created for these systems

Download extra banner packs and install them into:

LAUNCHBOX\Themes\BannerBox\Images\Games\Custom Images 1

Explaination of some files:

• BannerBox.zip - The same theme that can be downloaded from within Big Box's theme manager
  • BannerBox - Base Theme - No Game Banners.zip - Same theme as above, but without any game banners. Use this if you want to create your own banners
  • BannerBox - Template - Create Your Own Banners.zip - Use this file to load into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator to create your own banner images

Learn how to create your own BannerBox Banner Images: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtK2S7Owo8Y

Download banners created by the community in this thread:

BannerBox Community Banner Thread - Platform Media - LaunchBox Community Forums (launchbox-app.com)

Looking to create your own theme? Learn how by:
Following me on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/retrofaeran
Subscribing to me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2C5q0Muy-ehYpZUIIdJ94Q

CREDITS
----------------------------
Theme was created by @faeran
Theme was created using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru
Theme uses some amazing artwork by Rachid Loft. Find his work at: https://rachidlotf.com/

Edited by faeran

What's New in Version 2.1   See changelog

Released

• More controllers added
  • Misc fixes with the theme
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 10

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 hours ago, Alucard205 said:

I love the theme, but when ever I select a game I ge this error messege.

image.thumb.png.a67075bb1ee7214aa83d313e8c2b3693.png

Did you download the theme from the forum, or through Big Box's theme manager?

Seems like an error with the textlist plugin. Maybe @y2guru has some thoughts.

4 minutes ago, faeran said:

Did you download the theme from the forum, or through Big Box's theme manager?

Seems like an error with the textlist plugin. Maybe @y2guru has some thoughts.

Close big box and re-open, does that fix the issue?  If not the @faeranthe listboxscrollcenterns.dll is the older version 

1 hour ago, Skevandar said:

Yeah. It's visually mindblowing, especially if you're using BigBox with TV, but it would just add more assets used solely for this theme.

so true. this theme is beefy.

beef-icon.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skevandar said:

Yeah. It's visually mindblowing, especially if you're using BigBox with TV, but it would just add more assets used solely for this theme.

Yeah, that, and if you have a platform that you keep adding to like say PC Games,...then each time you add a game you have to go use the community theme creator with the template and run a new batch for those games.  If Launchbox could call upon box art and clear logo in one shot like the theme creater referenced, then I think this could be a more universal success.  Because as it sits right now, you have to have a person who will want to use/be comfortable using the community theme creator to run batches of images, as well as want to have at least over 4 gigs of extra images for this. That's where I sit right now and I have about 10 systems left to do.  I can absorb the storage hit just to test out the theme and check it out, but damn,...that's just too big.  It needs to be able to use existing assets.  Hopefully @Jason Carr can work a little magic just for this little area of the program?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, faeran said:

so true. this theme is beefy.

beef-icon.png

By running game-specific images through a conversion process overall size could probably be greatly reduced. From what I've seen very few assets require transparency while most could be JPG instead of PNG.  For example, 2991 of PS2 covers (default theme + separate complete pack) stand at 170MBs when converted to JPG.

Edited by Skevandar

So it may be the .png that is killing it.  Good idea.  Any recommendations on a little program that will just run through them all?

Edited by damageinc86

1 minute ago, Skevandar said:

By running game-specific images through a conversion process overall size could probably be greatly reduced. From what I've seen very few assets require transparency while most could be JPG instead of PNG.  For example, 2991 of PS2 covers (default theme + separate complete pack) stand at 170MBs when converted to JPG.

I actually ran each banner through pngquant, which did significantly reduce the size of them all, while keeping relatively the same quality. If people are creating their own images and are worried about size, pngoo is a pngquant gui interface that works well.

JPG may work as well, although I haven't tested.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

So it may be the .png that is killing it.  Good idea.  Any recommendations on a little program that will just run through them all?

ImageBatch     should work fine. You can set entire directories and doesn't have a limit on number of files which makes it real convenient.

8 minutes ago, faeran said:

JPG may work as well, although I haven't tested.

It's great for sheer file size reduction. I'm not sure how of much a fidelity hit we're talking about, though.

Edited by Skevandar

@faeran I was not able to resolve the game banners issue, but I don't mind as I wanted to use this theme for the categories and platform views (which is working beautifully), and then inside each platform/playlist different themes.
I am in the process of making specific banners for my needs. Sharing them here in case somebody wants to grab them:

Categories: Magazines and Pinball.

Magazines.thumb.png.977618541ff0f93fcd0f60e0834c76d0.pngPinball.thumb.png.b353eb846eadab4f465720382f46bbd5.png

Playlists: Hacks and Fan-Made, IGS PolyGame Master, and Recently Played.

1635054314_HackedGames.thumb.png.7161904d9735952ec8b2cbd1e3c57987.png1838582206_IGSPolyGameMaster.thumb.png.9111482c6a0ca00b7d508e6078f8e757.png534750644_RecentlyPlayed.thumb.png.46f97185e0ea87dc5f1f43b52a0736fa.png

Platforms: Future Pinball and Pinball FX3.

701810974_FuturePinball.thumb.png.c45364876c38ff431a4b6ef4069d4070.png49623554_PinballFX3.thumb.png.0882d0c500536e80b04970bc04544246.png

Missing for my set (that I will be doing next) are Microsoft Windows (from the 90s), 3D Realms (playlist), Openbor, Popcap, Tiger Game.com (platforms).

• Like 4
  • Unusual Gem 1

@rexryan as a heads-up, you are missing the overlay gradient that goes both sides, and as a recommendation you could make the main image do a gradient to transparent when reaching the clear logo at the bottom. 

1 minute ago, Kondorito said:

@rexryan as a heads-up, you are missing the overlay gradient that goes both sides, and as a recommendation you could make the main image do a gradient to transparent when reaching the clear logo at the bottom. 

Ahh..Will do..I do understand that..Thanks bud.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, y2guru said:

Close big box and re-open, does that fix the issue?  If not the @faeranthe listboxscrollcenterns.dll is the older version 

It did eventually work after a pc restart

@Kondorito you guys are using Photoshop for these banners? 

I would to but I find using the community theme creator works just as well. And it preserves the aspects that @faeran thought up. Apart from those awfull stock system images. Of all the images the ST has got to be the worst ?

4 hours ago, Klopjero said:

@Kondorito you guys are using Photoshop for these banners? 

I would to but I find using the community theme creator works just as well. And it preserves the aspects that @faeran thought up. Apart from those awfull stock system images. Of all the images the ST has got to be the worst ?

Using Photoshop in my case, but with the source files from faeran's template file, so everything is the same to my eyes :)

• Like 1

I'm also using Photoshop with faeran assets and giving each game the killer look it deserves, because IF you have time and don't have to do an ENTIRE romset, giving love to each artwork for your big tv is a great thing to do!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scanno said:

I'm also using Photoshop with faeran assets and giving each game the killer look it deserves, because IF you have time and don't have to do an ENTIRE romset, giving love to each artwork for your big tv is a great thing to do!

Maybe we should make a forum thread where we could dump these banners.   WIP for American laser games

American Laser Games.png

• Like 2

Dunno if you like it, but my ms-dos concept was full of point and click like Simon the Sorcerer so i made this category image...
Still i didn't refined it much, as i'm concentrating to mod the theme to my personal tastes, then i probably concentrate on the artworks :) 

MS-DOS.jpg

Is there a way to enable videos to play in this theme banner? I want to add music to the banners so that every banner can have a different feel other than the look of it. Please let me know where I can enable this feature in this theme if possible. Thank you!

Version 1.1 has been released for both the normal version and base version of BannerBox. If you already have BannerBox installed, best to use the base version and overwrite your folder with it.

Here are the changes:

• Added new Platform View - Video music plays in the background
  • Added new Platform view - Detailed view
  • Added new games view - quicker animations
  • Added a few banners from the community

Could be me, I overwrote with base version and only have 2 views..I no longer have the clear logo view on the left, Wall view is gone also.

25 minutes ago, rexryan said:

Could be me, I overwrote with base version and only have 2 views..I no longer have the clear logo view on the left, Wall view is gone also.

Sorry to hear that @rexryan. Download the version I just uploaded of the base theme again.

Rename your current BigBox folder, and place the new base them in the themes folder. Then just copy your game banners into the base theme, which is located in:

BannerBox\Images\Games\Custom Images 1\

28 minutes ago, faeran said:

Sorry to hear that @rexryan. Download the version I just uploaded of the base theme again.

Rename your current BigBox folder, and place the new base them in the themes folder. Then just copy your game banners into the base theme, which is located in:

BannerBox\Images\Games\Custom Images 1\

That unfortunately didnt solve my issue.. I have 3 views in games 2 are just the created game banner and the 3rd is the screen that displays other images similar to the play menu.