LaunchBox Community Forums

Lambda beta 1.1.2

(7 reviews)

8 Screenshots

About This File

This theme attempt to be minimal and modern and maximise screen estate.

Note: this is a beta release and features may change in future releases.

Installation

• Unzip into LaunchBox\LBThemes directory
  • In LaunchBox go to: Options -> Visuals -> Theme: Lambda beta

Windows 7/8 user: Microsoft's “Segoe MDL2 Assets” font ( SegMDL2.ttf ) is required for the buttons and icons to rendered properly. (If you have it it will work but it’s not included here because of licensing reasons.)

Settings guide

tl;dr:

• You may have to tweak your Boxes aspect ratio and spacing. 
  • The top Details image is only visible when Fanart is available.
  • Button bar can't be hidden because of the licensing info.
  • Font and colour settings have no effect (font is based on system font).

Settings used in screenshots are:

Options -> Visuals -> Boxes -> Spacing:

Aspect Ratio: 0.6 * 
Horizontal Spacing: 2
Vertical Spacing: 2
Horizontal Padding: 8
Vertical Padding: 2
Text Spacing: 4
Text Lines to Show: 2

*) For horizontal box art you may need to use a higher value.

Options -> Visuals -> Boxes:

Align Text Vertically : enabled
Align Text Horizontally : enabled
Show Subline : enabled (for platform info)

Other recommended settings:

Options -> Legacy -> General -> Game Details:

Show Fanart: enabled
other options at your own preference

Options -> Legacy -> Images -> Background Priorities :

Fanart : enabled
other options disabled

Options -> Visuals -> Backgrounds:

Background Blur Amount : 100
Background Fade Amount : 0

(Imo. the theme looks best when blurred background Fanart and Details Fanart are the same image.)

Settings that don't have any effect:

• Button bar can't be hidden because the license has to stay visible.
  • Colours are hard coded.
  • Font (including size and scaling) is based on your Windows system settings.

Thanks to Grila for allowing me to use his LBPlex theme code, Retro808, neil9000, C-Beats and Jason Carr for testing and everyone who supported this release on the forum.

Lambda beta theme CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Shadowfire 2020

What's New in Version 1.1.2   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 10/29/2020 at 5:20 PM, shadowfire said:

I don't have retroachievements myself so it's sort of an unsupported feature (the code is copy/paste from a different theme) but according to the Changelog the latest version of LaunchBox seems to have a fix for that.

Thanks for the reply Shadowfire, I can confirm the last update of launchbox fix the problem ;)

• Like 1

Hello! I've been using your theme since you've released it and it's wonderful! It's a much nicer layout and style than the default theme. With the latest Launchbox 11.8 update, we now have Steam Achievements shown in the Game Details sidebar (hopefully other launcher achievements will follow). Will you be updating this theme to include the ability to view those? Right now they don't show up. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Eyssa said:

Wonderful theme, but I wish the name of the game appeared when I put the mouse on the cover, so that I can differentiate between Disk 1 and Disk 2

like this :

833684871_DesktopScreenshot2020_10.22-01_27_35_13.thumb.png.c95edd13440d0c95ae01ece2272deaa1.png

You should set up your games that have multiple discs as Additional Apps. Then they only show up as one game and uses the icon in the corner for "Multiple Discs" (Mine's hard to see right now because I'm using white icons and they seem to clash too much with the box art).image.thumb.png.99d21003d733b881701f2248e9136b7a.pngimage.png.df40545f6e011cbea011a854a9d0a492.png

13 minutes ago, Panthon13 said:

You should set up your games that have multiple discs as Additional Apps. Then they only show up as one game and uses the icon in the corner for "Multiple Discs" (Mine's hard to see right now because I'm using white icons and they seem to clash too much with the box art).image.thumb.png.99d21003d733b881701f2248e9136b7a.pngimage.png.df40545f6e011cbea011a854a9d0a492.png

This is complicated I just want to see the names is there another way in this theme?

On 11/20/2020 at 1:58 PM, Panthon13 said:

Hello! I've been using your theme since you've released it and it's wonderful! It's a much nicer layout and style than the default theme. With the latest Launchbox 11.8 update, we now have Steam Achievements shown in the Game Details sidebar (hopefully other launcher achievements will follow). Will you be updating this theme to include the ability to view those? Right now they don't show up. Thanks!

Yes, I'm working on it so hopefully soon...

On 11/20/2020 at 8:14 PM, Panthon13 said:

(Mine's hard to see right now because I'm using white icons and they seem to clash too much with the box art)

If you are comfortable with editing XAML, there's a "Badges" section in Views/Settings.xaml. Uncomment the line that says:

<!-- <SolidColorBrush x:key="LD_BadgesBackgroundBrush" Color="#ee444444"></SolidColorBrush> -->

Edited by shadowfire

1 minute ago, shadowfire said:

If you are comfortable with editing XAML, there's a "Badges" section in Views/Settings.xaml. Uncomment the line that says:

<!-- <SolidColorBrush x:key="LD_BadgesBackgroundBrush" Color="#ee444444"></SolidColorBrush> -->

lol great! Had I been familiar with theme layouts and knew there was a badge background color, I would have tried this. Instead, I went in to photoshop and started giving the icons a thin dark border. Either way, it looks nice.

thank you.

• Like 1

I love this theme, but I wish I could re-add the LaunchBox text and logo to the top left the way it is in the Default theme. Is there an easy way to do that?

I'm going to make a long-shot request, but would you be able to modify the GameDetails sidebar so that the achievements are in their own scroll box separate from the Notes/Screenshots section at the bottom of the sidebar but remains above the metadata box? I think it could be a little more clean than letting them spawn below all the other details as is.

I'd try myself, but I can't find any good source code documentation for Launchbox Theme creation (only BigBox).

EDIT: Or even if the achievements were in collapsible menus (Locked, Unlocked)

Edited by Panthon13

Hi, awesome theme. I have a problem - how can i make the video background transparent in the game details so i can see the fanart background image? When i click on a game for a brief moment the video background is transparent ()with a white play button) but after a few seconds it turns black.

I'm not a coder so i have no clue what to do. I would appreciate your help.

2021.06.08. (21-21-39).png

20 hours ago, Traveler said:

Hi, awesome theme. I have a problem - how can i make the video background transparent in the game details so i can see the fanart background image? When i click on a game for a brief moment the video background is transparent ()with a white play button) but after a few seconds it turns black.

Hi @Traveler. Is it possible for you to share a video of the issue? I just want to make sure I'm giving you the best answer.

From what I think you are saying, you want to make the black background transparent, the background that appears behind the playing video. Does that sound right?

20 hours ago, Traveler said:

These videos should autoplay; I'm not sure if there's a setting for that. If so, make sure autoplay is on.

Are you using VLC or Windows Media Player as your default player? Whichever it is, switch it to the other and see what happens.

Or you can just disable the videos so that the fanart is the only thing that shows.

17 hours ago, tycho1974 said:

These videos should autoplay; I'm not sure if there's a setting for that. If so, make sure autoplay is on.

Are you using VLC or Windows Media Player as your default player? Whichever it is, switch it to the other and see what happens.

Or you can just disable the videos so that the fanart is the only thing that shows.

Thank you, switching the player fixed the issue. :)

On 8/13/2021 at 12:07 PM, Tony Birt said:

@shadowfireHi Shadowfire, is there a line I could change in gamedetailsview to increase the size of the game details screen shots by a small percentage 50% or so?  thanks

You can change these lines (around line no 297) to change the dimensions in pixels:   

<Setter Property="Width" Value="196"/>
                                            <Setter Property="MaxHeight" Value="196"/>

In case any of you want the filters button, i've edited the SideBarView to add the filters option, just hit the icon to the left of the search bar to pop it open,

This is an interim fix until @shadowfire adds it to a full release. I recommend backing up the SideView.xaml before you replace the file.

SideBarView.xaml

Edited by MadK9
  • Thanks 2

@shadowfire, thanks for the stealth update that fixes Image View with LB 12.2.

Could I request that you also add two other key fixes posted in the past comments of this theme (list view date sorting / search bar filtering function)? Thanks in advance!

As the theme hasn't been getting updates, and I've been fixing things locally as new features cropped up, I may as well fork and compile the fixes for everyone else.

First release here: retroNUC/lb-theme-lambda-fix (github.com)

beta-fix 1.1.2a 2021-12-09
-SideBarView: Fixed missing Filter button on search bar in later versions of LaunchBox
-ListContentView: Fixed column sorting for date-related fields, such as 'Release Date' and 'Last Played'
-ListContentView: Fixed missing column bindings (including Badges) that were introduced in later versions of LaunchBox

lb-theme-lambda-fix-1.1.2a.zip

• Like 3

Is there any way for me to change the game details window,  to re-arrange the order in which screenshots display?  I'd prefer if the Title screen could be 1st in line, as it were.

In addition, in the details area, where it lists Ratings, File, etc - I've noticed that for no reason, it will wrap the File and Play Count to a second row to the right of the left-side row - no rhyme or reason why or for what game - even when there is plenty of room. 

image.png.560a4361320976e01e016f56fb105015.png

image.png.2410a66de9d44f5bb47294eff9f84d3c.png

Any way to force them all to the left-hand side, so they're all in a list?

My Thanks!

Edited by denmiclaw

With the 12.7 update, I rather like the new game details configuration in the default theme. Between the scrollable screenshots with the video up first (akin to the presentation on Steam) and the more aesthetically pleasing detail verbiage with the horizontal rules, my ideal would be this new default theme game details view but the rest of the layout using this Lambda theming...

Yeah, I've never really liked the game detail layout too much in Lambda, and the default revamp is the probably the kicker it needs.

I was only going to compile fixes rather than making more aesthetic changes, but I'll take a look if I get some free time. 

• Thanks 1

Spent some time rewriting Lambda's GameDetailsView today:

• Brought up to spec with the latest 12.7 changes, such as the new image/video carousel and all the missing fields
  • Info pane at the bottom is much more condensed, taking up less room on the overall height

Still needs a bunch more fixes to go, but just wanted to show progress so far. For example, I've never used fanart backgrounds or MAME high score functionality, so that's something I need to investigate and test.

If there's anything you really want exposed as part of the options file, let me know, but should be able to finish this up in the next week or two.

image.thumb.png.0969bda9e0b74f14600fa4fb3fc8f7b5.png

• Like 3

Personally i would love it if you could include your fanart feature in the header as i have been using it since the very beginning.

Also, can you please make the info section like in the new official releasse? I really like the clean look with text lines , screenshot scroll, info / screenshot toggle and everything.

Bascically i would love it if your theme would just have the current official details view + your fanart  / video header, that would be my ideal version of this theme. :)

I know it's a long shot but maybe If you are hesitant to do it perhaps you could release the themes file so we could do it ourselves?

2022.02.14. (04-04-09).png

Edited by Traveler
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Traveler said:

Personally i would love it if you could include your fanart feature in the header as i have been using it since the very beginning.

Also, can you please make the info section like in the new official releasse? I really like the clean look with text lines , screenshot scroll, info / screenshot toggle and everything.

Bascically i would love it if your theme would just have the current official details view + your fanart  / video header, that would be my ideal version of this theme. :)

I know it's a long shot but maybe If you are hesitant to do it perhaps you could release the themes file so we could do it ourselves?

To make it clear, I'm not the original author of the theme! I'm just fixing things as the original author no longer seems to be maintaining it.

If you just wanted the new default details view, you could probably copy GameDetailsView.xaml from the default theme (/LBThemes/Default/Views) into Lambda, but it wouldn't have the fanart background, or have fonts/design generally matching the rest of the theme. 

There's also no 'theme files' for LaunchBox themes, just the XAML data that would have to be edited by hand, or using a more professional-based WPF editor (Visual Studio, Blend, etc.). It's not like BigBox, which has the Community Theme Editor to generate the XAML files.

Edited by retroNUC
  • Like 1