LaunchBox Community Forums

Flat and Classic Mini Consoles 1.9.1

(6 reviews)

14 Screenshots

About This File

This was supposed to be a simple flat theme, but evolved into a 2 in 1, so you have the regular view which is flat and sleek and also you have available an optional view (per device) that resemble some classic mini consoles (including consoles that do not have mini versions as of yet).

Features of this theme:

• Simple flat version that runs fast and looks great.
  • No flashy animations that may affect perfomance.
  • Optional "Classic Mini" view for many systems (WIP).
  • Every Classic Mini view has it's own background music.
  • Improved original design of some "Classic Mini" (Such as PSX and Genesis).
  • Improved UI for some consoles like PS3, 3DS, etc.
  • "Classic Mini" style views for consoles that do not have an oficial Mini version (such as PS2, WII, etc.).
  • Platform/console selection with video (you need to download the video first from regular launchbox menu).

You can check some Videos of the theme in action on my Youtube Channel

Most updates are being posted on my Patreon (nothing is hidden behind a paywall)

patreon.thumb.png.17f9e5f363c64ca81201526bacfca537.png

If you'd like to support my work, you can invite me a coffee anytime! 

https://www.patreon.com/Exodus_cl

P.S.: English is not my first language so I apologise for any mistake.

Thanks to:

@y2guru for your amazing theme editor 

@thiagofirmino for providing SNK Neo Geo and Sega Saturn Mini formats.

-

-

Edited by exodus_cl

What's New in Version 1.9.1   See changelog

Released

Added date and time as suggested 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4
  • Unusual Gem 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi really good. i love the mini themes. by any chance could we get a dreamcast version without the box outline. just have a tile like other themes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mat03111984 said:

Hi really good. i love the mini themes. by any chance could we get a dreamcast version without the box outline. just have a tile like other themes?

Hi matt, thanks for your interest, I have added an optional background for Dreamcast, you just have to go into the media folder of the theme and swap names of files (when you see them you'll know what I mean), cheers!

206309625_Rename_me_ifyou_want_to_use_me.thumb.png.3948c9a772347f2f8c7a392c5c0c77d0.png

really like the gamecube and nintendo wii u one, hows it look with the horizontal boxart?

you might be interested in something where the box only shows when on boxart. I got the idea from one of @faeran themes and code.

Edited by wallmachine

13 hours ago, exodus_cl said:

Hi matt, thanks for your interest, I have added an optional background for Dreamcast, you just have to go into the media folder of the theme and swap names of files (when you see them you'll know what I mean), cheers!

206309625_Rename_me_ifyou_want_to_use_me.thumb.png.3948c9a772347f2f8c7a392c5c0c77d0.png

hi. thanks for the replay. i dont see a difference? its ok though. a great theme, i love the nintendo ones. wii and wiiu are amazing.

3 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Clean, system-specific design, I like it!

Not sure if its me only but the menu music doesnt stop when i load a game.

5 hours ago, mat03111984 said:

Not sure if its me only but the menu music doesnt stop when i load a game.

Hi!

You might want to check the time bigbox waits for the emulator start (in options), also if you don't want to use that bg music, jut go into the theme's folder and rename/delete the .mp4 file for each system :)

Cheers!

Edited by exodus_cl

12 hours ago, mat03111984 said:

hi. thanks for the replay. i dont see a difference? its ok though. a great theme, i love the nintendo ones. wii and wiiu are amazing.

Don't forget that you need to manually swap names of the images in the Theme's folder:
1739459781_Annotation2020-05-22160127.thumb.jpg.d4c3b10e0826a153a973755c4bf626ef.jpg

@exodus_cl this is an incredibly nice looking theme! I was just wondering if you'd be willing to share the Community theme files you used? My only gripe/complaint is with the gameslist view. I'd like to replace the screenshot with a game video (or screenshot when the video isn't available), in addition to removing that black box behind it.

Edited by bundangdon
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2020 at 10:38 PM, DreamyAbaddon said:

How do I switch to the Optional "Classic Mini" view?

I'm new to installing themes. Help. =/

Go to options and assign a key to "Change View" option :)

@exodus_cl Hi, I really like your theme, and however, I made some other platform with your theme as well :)  Is it ok if I could get a community version of this theme please?  I would like to add more platform based on that. 

Here is some of my work

1) Nintendo Famicom : ( cause some of japanese version of game's boxart does not fit in NES Mini , so I make one for them)186005785__16129778012537.thumb.png.049b40c308f5b831358892e4f915d32a.png2) Nintendo Gameboy Advance :

2105642374__16129785697086.thumb.png.b67cf6fcd765d1011108749e9dc912b8.png3) Nintendo DS:1101347494__16129785181910.thumb.png.4e8dbfb0cd2cd59ffb8bb4c668f16dc6.png4) Nintendo Virtual Boy:

1899868353__16130520213106.thumb.png.7db135cd262641417e62e31d7b9b2852.png5) Sega Saturn:

1922256402__16129791014791.thumb.png.da6bb990884c6708472545c2b978487d.png

• Like 8
  • Unusual Gem 1

Would it be possible to use the mini themes for playlists? I have playlists for all the mini consoles and would like to use them there only.

On 4/11/2021 at 4:07 PM, Rlad said:

Would it be possible to use the mini themes for playlists? I have playlists for all the mini consoles and would like to use them there only.

I worked out how to do it! You just copy the xaml file and rename it to whatever your playlist is named, or i guess you could also just rename the original xaml if you only wanted those views for playlists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2020 at 2:11 PM, bundangdon said:

@exodus_cl this is an incredibly nice looking theme! I was just wondering if you'd be willing to share the Community theme files you used? My only gripe/complaint is with the gameslist view. I'd like to replace the screenshot with a game video (or screenshot when the video isn't available), in addition to removing that black box behind it.

@exodus_cl any chance you could share community theme files? Would love to have a video instead of the screenshot aswell.

1 hour ago, hhtien1408 said:

Could this work for Retropie or Retrobat Batocera? Nice themes!

BigBox themes will not work in either of those.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Tmills said:

@exodus_cl any chance you could share community theme files? Would love to have a video instead of the screenshot aswell.

Sorry for the late reply, I'm updating the theme and if everything goes well, I'll add video snaps as first option and gameplay screenshot as fallback.

• Like 2

@exodus_cl I think your theme is still the best for classic console series. Would you do more Japanese versions such as Famicom mini, NEC PC-Engine Mini and Super Famicom mini?

I'd love to show you an example for future reference. It would be great to have:

1. Mini Snap: mini video preview

2. Game detailed info: by pressing down or up button (since Bigbox default down is search)

3. Background Music Off: so that you could hear video preview music instead.

Hey! Yeah, I'm updating the theme in order to add at least Switch and Famicom, I had no idea Famicom and super Famicom mini were different, I'll take a look to see if my Famicom version is better and I'll add sufami too, thanks for commenting! 

Edited by exodus_cl
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 4:47 PM, exodus_cl said:

Hey! Yeah, I'm updating the theme in order to add at least Switch and Famicom, I had no idea Famicom and super Famicom mini were different, I'll take a look to see if my Famicom version is better and I'll add sufami too, thanks for commenting! 

So glad to know that you're working on it! Yes, Super Famicom is SNES Classic edition and I found some reference for you.

And this might give you an idea for background and other details:

https://github.com/ruckage/es-theme-snes-mini

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/12583/snes-mini-theme

No pressure here but if you are updating to next level, video preview option would be wonderful!!!! (and game detail lower third graphic by pressing direction up or down)

Thank you for an awesome theme!

Edited by xmas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mat03111984 said:

anyone got this working with switch? im just getting a coverflow theme... tried both versions

Hey! Is your launchbox updated to the latest version? Can you check if you added correctly the platform (Nintendo Switch)? 

I'll check the file layer today just in case, please comment back! 

EDIT: Tested the file with a new installation of launchbox, Switch "Console mode" shows up fine when changing view  👍

Edited by exodus_cl