LaunchBox Community Forums

Launch Platforms 1.02

(2 reviews)

About This File

This is a BigBox plugin that allows you to launch a game/application directly from the Platform Wheel View level.

Setup:

- Right click on the downloaded LaunchPlatform.zip and click "Unblock" and then OK

1653601623_Unblockzip.jpg.418550e370886be061b33555754867c7.jpg

- Open the zip file and copy the folder "LaunchPlatform into your ../LaunchBox/Plugins/  folder

- Open LaunchBox and create a new Platform.  (i.e. Music Box Alpha)

- In the lower right hand corner click "Add"image.png.adb8a5bb8b4f195caae242862821f4e2.png

- Fill in (at minimum)
   Title: 
   Platform: (select the Platform you just created)
   (click on "Launching") Application Path: 

- Click OK

- Now click "Tools" and [at the bottom] click "Launch Platform Setup"

- Oh... you might first want to create a backup of the Theme folder you use for BigBox.  You shouldn't need it, but always a good idea.

image.thumb.png.93a4ed306ffcafeca629e352ffc071c3.png

- Step 1  In the Available Themes List will be all themes you have.  Click on the one you use (the one you backed up) then click "Setup Theme".  This will now be listed in the Modified Themes List.  At any time you can undo the changes made by selecting the Theme in the Modified Themes List and click "Restore Theme".

Step 2  Select the Platform (Music Box Alpha) in the Available Platforms List and click "Add Platform" (or you can just double-click it).  This will move it to the Platforms Ready List.  When you are done, click "Done".

- Now start BigBox.  (look for the 3 horizontal lines in the upper left, click it and click "BigBox")

image.png.e6e3dba50c0e4f71e3c902460e2b5726.png 

- Scroll through your Platforms wheel until you find your new Platform and select it.

If all goes well, this will directly launch your program (Music Box Alpha) without going into the games wheel.  And if things really go well, when your system is in Attract Mode, it may stop on this Platform, but then move on to the next Platform without trying to go to the games wheel.

@jayjay is the brains behind getting this to work, but I'm the one that threw it all together.  So credit goes to where credit is due.  (you decide :D)  If something's not working right, go ahead and post here and it'll get looked at.  And possibly even get resolved.

What's New in Version 1.02   See changelog

Released

v1.02

Fixed a little "programmer error". :$  

v1.01

Updated to accommodate custom made themes such as those created by the Community Theme Creator.

If you have previously Setup your theme using version 1.00 you will need to Restore them FIRST.  image.png.bfcc06377dac0cb376e996e812e381ef.png  This can be done with either version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

And they said it couldn't be done! Thank you both so much for this. I've wanted this option for a long time. It works great with all the themes I've tried so far.

6 hours ago, Restrox said:

I am trying to use it, but it does not detect the themes that I have downloaded, is there any solution

Can you share a screenshot of what's inside your../LaunchBox/Themes/ folder?

@Restrox  Hmmm... well they all should show when you start the plugin. 😊

This was created almost 2 1/2 years, so I'm having to remember what the heck I did. lol  One thing I did notice is that there're 2 possible files to download.  The one you want is "Launch Platform 1.02.zip".  (Not sure why I left the other one there.)

image.png.375d947aa58b765e12fbcc5bc79bf4a5.png

Exit LaunchBox and remove the LaunchPlatform folder (under Plugins) and replace it with the 1.02 version.  (Remember to Un-Block as necessary)  Restart LaunchBox.  When you click Tools, it will say Launch Platform Setup 1.01.  Ignore that it says "1.01" and run it.

Still working for me. Granted this is my office desktop that I sometimes use for testing, not my full arcade cabinet, but it does have the latest beta and themes are all showing.

image.thumb.png.124c09aade81ae2bd8ac1a5bc7ee9527.png

And just tested on my vertical arcade and its still working there. If I were to guess, I would think you forgot to unblock the file when you downloaded it. 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.6ac89df118d33939511af3617fd7f51d.png

Thanks for your help, I tried it on a clean launchbox instalation and it worked perfectly,  I think some of the experiments I was doing originated it. Again Thanks 😅

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

UPDATE:  I realized that the problem was in the HDD format, apparently when it´s in exFat it doesn't detect the plugin correctly, but in NTFS it works without any problem (even with my previous installation,  where it didn't work before). 🤯

• Thanks 1

Hi all QQ will this work when Platform CATEGORY is the main wheel view being utilized? I had issues with plugin in the past and I think that is why.

21 minutes ago, thefritz11 said:

Hi all QQ will this work when Platform CATEGORY is the main wheel view being utilized? I had issues with plugin in the past and I think that is why.

Assuming you setup the BigBox Theme you're using (Step 1) and added the platform (Step 2), it should.  At least in my quick test, it did.

Make sure the platform that you added in Step 2 is in the Root. (Should be, but double check) This way it will show in BB when in Platform Category View.

Also, in BigBox make sure you're using the Theme you had setup.

image.png.3c508989b1d8de3e0fe15a06f5d01de4.png

Strange I followed everything and I'd say 50% of the time it works. And 50% clicking the steam platform opens the game selection screen and I have to click through. Also strangely sometimes clicking the arcade platform makes the steam program open directly from wheel instead of opening up the child options I have under arcade. Not sure why and really wish this would get implemented officially but really appreciate your help with your plugin over the years lol. Just going to live with it working sometimes for now but definitely strange as this is a clean install. I'll maybe post a video of it happening if I ever figure out how to do that just for shits and giggles and to prove I'm not crazy LOL. 

13 minutes ago, thefritz11 said:

And 50% clicking the steam platform opens the game selection screen and I have to click through.

• Does your Steam platform have just 1 game (or app) in it? 
  • Do you have more than 1 "Steam"?  Like a Platform and a Category?
  • Under 'Parents', is there more than 1 checkbox checked? 
  • And of course, it was setup? 
    • You can know for sure (and even "cheat" and bypass the setup process) by looking in the ..\LaunchBox\Plugins\LaunchPlatform\ folder for a text file named after the Platform.  i.e. "Steam.txt"  (it was a cheesy way to do this. But eh, it works [most of the time.?.?.]). 
    • [The cheat] If it's not there, simply create a new text file named EXACTLY the same as the Platform you want to use.

Also, make sure the Theme you're using was setup and is the default theme for ALL platforms.  Speaking of "Platforms", test it in the Platforms view and confirm that it works (or doesn't work also) there.  Then we can work on Platform Categories. ;) 

And finally, (probably one of the more important things) what view are you using?  This only modifies (sets up) the Platform Wheel Views. Not sure if that was ever mentioned or relevant. 

Really appreciate you taking the time here. To answer in order.

1) Yes one app "steam". It is also named steam

2) Best I can tell steam is only a platform see attached screenshot

3)Nope (see attached)

4) Yes, see screen grab

So after triple checking all the above, even in platform view selecting steam does start the app as expected but the 2nd time I open anything from wheel say Super Nintendo it also opens steam directly the 1st time. Then opening steam no longer opens app but takes me to the platform page. Hopefully these answers sort of help. Really strange.

screen grab.png

screen grab 2.png

sscreen grab 3.png

@thefritz11

On 2/22/2023 at 11:40 AM, JoeViking245 said:

Make sure the platform that you added in Step 2 is in the Root.

Try moving it into the Root only.

image.png.7e3d4fe0793015d28b2dc66d1a573f1c.png

On 2/24/2023 at 11:36 AM, JoeViking245 said:

And finally, (probably one of the more important things) what view are you using?  This only modifies (sets up) the Platform Wheel Views.

Are you using one of the Wheel Views?

Sorry I missed that. I added it to root and removed from computer. In platform view (and yes I'm using a wheel view) the 1st click steam app loads directly as expected. I could not recreate other platforms starting steam app instead of loading platform page BUT the 2nd time I opened the steam app from wheel it went to platform page and required me to click the app/game to open  steam. That isn't as bad as the in platform category view since 50% or so of time when I click a platform category with plugin enabled it starts Steam app instead of intended action of opening platform options. Again this is wtih steam in root only.