LaunchBox Community Forums

1 Screenshot

About This File

**This removes the nag screen that informs you if a rom doesn't work correctly, or if at all, if you use this no nag, then please do NOT go to the mame support site with issues with games, please only use if you understand that there will be no help from anyone at mamedev as you are using a modified version of mame.

Contents: mame.exe - Normal Mame with Nags removed. (Note mame no longer carries the 64 in its exe name changed by Devs in 0.229)

It's advisable to download the full mame official pack and install it, then just overwrite the exe with the replacement, this covers any changes the mame devs may have made to the support files.

After you have done this, make sure you copy the folders artwork, ctrlr, cheat, hlsl, ini, folders and the ini files from the root of your original mame folder, and move/copy them to the new install.  

If you are using your own installed/setup of mame then make sure you also set in the mame.ini  'Skip_gameinfo  1'

If you got Launchbox to setup mame for you when asked, you only need to replace the exe and play.

As some are not sure about  False Positives, and report a virus was detected, As goes for all versions i upload, they are all ran through virustotal before i upload, and if by any chance something did end up with an issue it would be noticed very quickly after upload and would be removed/restricted.

0.266 - https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c3ee94ea7b7e02f4487cceb30f12a50d87ff08b7361494255edfb6a43088ff8a?nocache=1

All NEW versions of the No-Nag will be posted in this download thread only, if you wish to get the new releases every month, either follow myself or the thread, As the download section will not show any new releases.

Edited by MadK9
Updated Virustotal for 0.266 & Tags

What's New in Version 0.266   See changelog

Released

from r/mame

MAME 0.266 is ready just in time for the end of May. The first thing you’ll notice is that Taito F3 video emulation has been reimplemented, fixing numerous long-standing graphical issues. The dynamic range compression used by several Yamaha synthesisers seems to finally be understood, fixing audible distortion. Speaking of sound, a previously missing Game Boy Advance sound channel is now emulated.

Several additional members of Nokia’s MikroMikko 1 line of 8-bit business computers from the 1980s are now supported. In PC emulation, S3 ViRGE video accelerator emulation has been simplified and improved. A couple more cartridge types have been added for MSX home computers.

This release also adds plenty of software list items and arcade bootlegs. Lots of code has been cleaned up and modernised, with various bugs fixed along the way. We’ve also added a workaround for the regression in clang 18 that was causing build failures.

As always, you can read about all the changes in this release in the whatsnew.txt file

• Like 33
  • Thanks 33
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@gavatron I have posted before how to edit the source and compile mame.

It takes time, about an hour to do, remember any mistakes you make may not show up in the compile

untill very near the end so you just waste even more time (ask me how i know). So take your time.

Additionally, the code base changes and as such the diff files will not match versions.

NOTE: use the line numbers as a guide, as the source changes the lines move, and if there is no major change to the source then there will be no diff file for the new version. 

Edited by MadK9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MadK9 said:

@gavatron I have posted before how to edit the source and compile mame.

It takes time, about an hour to do, remember any mistakes you make may not show up in the compile

untill very near the end so you just waste even more time (ask me how i know). So take your time.

Additionally, the code base changes and as such the diff files will not match versions.

NOTE: use the line numbers as a guide, as the source changes the lines move, and if there is no major change to the source then there will be no diff file for the new version. 

This is exactly what I was searching for, thanks for going out of your way to reply here for me @MadK9

36 minutes ago, gavatron said:

This is exactly what I was searching for, thanks for going out of your way to reply here for me @MadK9

I should of added, the only section of mamedev you want is the Downloads, just grab the latest mysys

msys64-2022-01-12.exe 

then close the page, you will not do any of the other stuff.

Edited by MadK9
  • Thanks 1

perfect solutions for removing this nags. I was wondering if it is possible to also remove the screen 'state successfully loaded'. i don't think this message is needed and it looks not nice in a cabinet

4 hours ago, mandermannen said:

perfect solutions for removing this nags. I was wondering if it is possible to also remove the screen 'state successfully loaded'. i don't think this message is needed and it looks not nice in a cabinet

Not something i will do, sorry.

On 1/28/2023 at 9:16 AM, mandermannen said:

Thank you for your response. Is there maybe another way? Are there video's of how to compile mame? Im not an expert in this

On 2/16/2023 at 3:12 AM, BrunoRaji said:

could you share the files you modified? I would love to make a version for linux

Scroll up just a little in this thread you will see i already gave instructions on how to no nag for yourself, its pretty easy to do.

I am having the same issue...I followed the same guide for a launchbox install of MAME.  I downloaded the matching .252 no nag exe and overwrote the one in the mame folder within launchbox, but I will get nag screens when launching games....did I miss something?

3 hours ago, daysgoneby81 said:

did I miss something?

In LB go to Emulators and then confirm that your emulator path is pointing to the no-nag exe.

4 hours ago, daysgoneby81 said:

I am having the same issue...I followed the same guide for a launchbox install of MAME.  I downloaded the matching .252 no nag exe and overwrote the one in the mame folder within launchbox, but I will get nag screens when launching games....did I miss something?

The No Nag will only suppress the Rom Warning window when you run a rom that has known issues, To check this run a game and on startup

does a window show up like for example the following

image.thumb.png.cd1b4f92d5b089326423eddb07e7783a.png

If so, then you have something configured wrong, to check further if you press TAB with a game loaded.

image.thumb.png.ff1a7e064eef5fd2a88019bfafd55219.png

If this line 'Warning Information' is NOT there then No Nag will have done nothing, as it will only suppress Warnings and the Initializing txt.

The no nag is working fine, its tested fully before release and if i made a mistake it would be picked up on the day i release it, this release is at the end of its cycle, and a new version should be out on Wednesday the 29th.

• Like 2

Thanks.  I think I was misunderstood on what a NAG screen was.  I believe what I am talking about are the ROM check screens and bootup within the ROM.  I assume you cannot skip those without booting from a save state.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:52 AM, daysgoneby81 said:

Thanks.  I think I was misunderstood on what a NAG screen was.  I believe what I am talking about are the ROM check screens and bootup within the ROM.  I assume you cannot skip those without booting from a save state.

Correct, you cannot skip that since integral to the emulation.  From a ROM view it is just like powering up the real arcade unit and it will do whatever is done as far as boot cycle.  As you noted, save states are only solution (or using a fast forward button/key assignment).  

On 3/31/2023 at 2:34 AM, Yenome said:

using chrome on windows 10 and 11 latest release reports virus found.

This is a false positive... 

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8022ebd7294319e11bb97f26e223ee1b9e3cb3b2ab5345d051c522da114e32db/detection

I always scan the exe prio to upload to make sure its clean, and if a virus was present i would see everyone that downloaded it reporting the same thing,

Edited by MadK9

Thank you for this no-nag build.
Please, start compiling No-Nag 32bit for Windows XP 32bit as well.
Definitely, it will also be more appreciated.

2 hours ago, Farhan said:

Thank you for this no-nag build.
Please, start compiling No-Nag 32bit for Windows XP 32bit as well.
Definitely, it will also be more appreciated.

Unfortunately this wont happen, you are the first person to ask for this since i started doing the no nags from mame 0.218, nearly 4 years ago. as mame themselves only release the 64bit version compiled now, the demand for it is very very low. My suggestion is to compile it yourself making sure not to use the 'PTR64=1' switch .

I have left instructions on how to compile this no nag several times on this forum and i also believe in this thread, its not hard to do

Sorry i can not offer any more than that.

hey noob here 

I download the no nag .exe replaced the orginal .exe but I still get the "press an key to continue screen" and the load up nags for all games. not sire if I"m doing it right. ROMS and MAME are 0.263. my expectation is that the ROMS should load right to the start. overall everything else in launchbox is working perfectly.

9 hours ago, Gullly said:

hey noob here 

I download the no nag .exe replaced the orginal .exe but I still get the "press an key to continue screen" and the load up nags for all games. not sire if I"m doing it right. ROMS and MAME are 0.263. my expectation is that the ROMS should load right to the start. overall everything else in launchbox is working perfectly.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version for whichever version of MAME you are using?

16 hours ago, Gullly said:

hey noob here 

Per the instructions, did you "make sure you also set in the mame.ini  'Skip_gameinfo  1' "?

Alternately, you can add to the command-line parameters -"skip_gameinfo" (without quotes).

7 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Per the instructions, did you "make sure you also set in the mame.ini  'Skip_gameinfo  1' "?

Alternately, you can add to the command-line parameters -"skip_gameinfo" (without quotes).

Thank you. OK this is probably it. can you expand on this one.  where would I enter the command line parameters or edit the MAME.ini?

57 minutes ago, Gullly said:

Thank you. OK this is probably it. can you expand on this one.  where would I enter the command line parameters or edit the MAME.ini?

Open up Notepad and put in the following text:

mame.exe -cc

Save it as whatever name you want for it like CreateConfig for example and then change the .txt extension to .bat. Put that file in the same directory/folder with your mame.exe and then just double-click on it and the mame.ini, plugin.ini and ui.ini files will be created in the same folder. Open mame.ini with any text editor like Notepad, find the skip_gameinfo line and change the 0 to a 1, save and close it. Next open ui.ini, find the skip_warnings line and change the 0 to a 1, next find the skip_biosmenu line and change the 0 to a 1, then find the skip_partsmenu line and change the 0 to a 1, save and close.🙂

Edited by gh0stp1rate