LaunchBox Community Forums

Add To Games DB AddToGamesDb v.Next

(3 reviews)

3 Screenshots

About This File

*** Updated for Initial Support for LaunchBox v.Next ***

AddToGamesDb:  A plugin to help automate the process of submitting all of your game information and images from your collection to the LaunchBox Games Database.

About the Plugin

This plugin makes use of an application traditionally used in automated testing (Selenium) to automate the process of submitting games to the LaunchBox Games Database.  It will open an instance of your default browser (provided that browser is either Chrome or Firefox.  If some other browser is your default, it will try to open Chrome), and attempt to submit the selected game to the LaunchBox Games Database based on the information provided in your collection. 

• If the game does not exist in the database, it will create a new game entry and submit it to the database.
  • If you have added additional information or images to a game that already exists in the database, it will enter the title and platform, then pause to let you choose the existing game, then add any additional information from your collection to the LaunchBox Games Database.

Installation Instructions

Note:  For this plugin to work, you will need to have either Chrome or Firefox installed.  If you have both installed, it will use whichever you have set as your default browser.  If you are using Firefox as your default browser and have enabled Firefox Profiles, please note that this will run under the default profile.  For any and all other cases, Chrome is the preferred browser.

1. Unzip everything to the Plugins folder.

Usage Instructions

Note: If, in editing your collection, you are prompted to download an update for the LaunchBox Games Database, afterward you will need to close and re-open LaunchBox for the plugin to detect the changes.

1. Open LaunchBox and browse to a game that is either missing from the Games Database, has additional information not in the database, or has images not in the database -- right click that game, and select the appropriate option, it will show either:
    • Add Game to LaunchBox Games Database
    • Update Game in LaunchBox Games Database
    • Add New Images to LaunchBox Games Database
  2. The first time you run the plugin, you may be prompted to login to LaunchBox Games Database.  If so, the plugin will pause here to allow you to login as normal. Check "Remember Me" to skip this step going forward.  Your login information is not read or stored in the code, it is stored in Chrome or Firefox's normal AppData cache on your system.  If you do not login, the plugin will time-out after 5 minutes and close the browser. 
  3. Depending on the game, you may be prompted with a screen that identifies similar titles and you will be asked to either select the correct title, or click the button to add a new game.  If so, the plugin will pause here until you make your desired selection, then automation will resume for the remainder of the process.

Logging

By default, the logging is only set to a general "Info" level and up that contains generic start and submission successful messages, along with any errors encountered.  If you continue to encounter an error somewhere along the way, please take the following steps:

1. Browse to the plugin's folder -- LaunchBox\Plugins\AddToGamesDb
  2. Open NLog.dll.nlog in Notepad or another text editor.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom and find the <rules> section of the configuration.
  4. Find this line: 
    <logger name="*" minlevel="Info" writeTo="file" />

And change it to this: 

<logger name="*" minlevel="Trace" writeTo="file" />

5. Try to submit the problem game, if it is a particular game causing the issue, or another game in general otherwise.

6. Browse to the log file in the plugin's folder -- LaunchBox\Plugins\AddToGamesDb\log\AddToGamesDb.log

7. Feel free to post the error and preceding trace either on the plugin's support page or PM me either the entire log or the part pertaining to the last issue, whichever is easier for you.  From there, I'll investigate and make any updates necessary.

Supported Fields

Auto-population of the following fields is currently supported:

• Name/Title
  • Platform
  • Release Date
  • ESRB
  • Developers
  • Publishers
  • Genres
  • Wikipedia URL
  • Overview
  • Max Players
  • Cooperative
  • Images

Known Issues

• Context Menu (right-click menu) does not refresh on Audit window.
  • If you update the information for a game in LaunchBox (clicking Edit from the right-click menu for the game), you will need to click away from the game (click some other game, for example), and then right-click on the updated game again for the context menu to update.  Even without doing so, however, the correct process should run even though the text and icon on the menu haven't yet updated.

A lot of work has gone into stabilizing the initial release and this latest release, but if you encounter any issues, please let me know and I will be glad to work with you to update the plugin accordingly.

Thanks, Jason, for providing your amazing software and thanks again to Jason, the LaunchBox staff and the community for your support in developing this plugin.

What's New in Version AddToGamesDb v.Next   See changelog

Released

AddToGamesDb v.Next:

• Adding initial support for LaunchBox v.Next.  This only works with Chrome.  Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

AddToGamesDb 2.5.0 Update:

• Support for LaunchBox 8.0+.
  • Confirmation dialog after successful game submission.
  • General bugfixes to support the latest releases.

AddToGamesDb 2.4.0 Update:

• Fixed issue causing LaunchBox to crash.
  • Updated to latest drivers for browser automation.

AddToGamesDb 2.3.0 Update:

• Updated for .NET Framework 4.7 being used in the latest beta of LaunchBox.
  • Updated automation.
  • Updated error checking to skip any Image Types that are not yet implemented in the form.
  • An issue was identified with custom platform names, so for now, when it is time for the automation to enter the platform name, if you have set a custom platform name, the automation will pause while you manually select the platform, then resume after you click "Add Game".

AddToGamesDb 2.2.0 Update:

• Made the Chrome version portable!  You will need to enter your username and password on the login form and select Remember Me again, but now your Chrome profile for the automation will be stored in a Profile folder within the plugin's folder.  No more AppData for it.
  • Also, Chromedriver.exe was updated from 2.2.9 to 2.3.0 this week, and the latest version is included here.  A changelog for the latest version can be found here.
  • Maintenance changes -- stability, flexibility and re-usability improvements in the code.  Now that I've finally gotten around to it, please note that if you're also using Startup Video Manager, you will likely need to update it as well.  They share a DLL or two and that will ensure both are running optimally.  Now that everything's in order, it shouldn't be an issue going forward, but since this is the first time I've moved the code around in this way, both plugins may need to be updated to the current release to guarantee full functionality.

AddToGamesDb 2.1.0 Update:

• Found a race condition that could be encountered when adding images to an existing game that already has other images on it.  This update solves for this possibility.

AddToGamesDb 2.0.0 Update:

• Supports the latest versions of the LaunchBox Games Database submission pages.
  • Relaxed automation code where possible to be more resilient to page changes.
  • Added pop-up dialogs if an error is encountered that caused submission to fail so that the user gets some feedback on any issues.
  • Re-write of all automation code with extensive error handling and logging.
  • Improved support for various metadata fields.
  • Tweaked automation timeout settings to allow for a reasonable amount of time for slower internet connections, without causing too much lag for faster connections.
  • Activated configurable NLog logging to capture everything needed for any debugging issues that may arise from form submission page changes.

AddToGamesDb 1.5.0 Update:

• Fixed an edge case where the automation will pause for an extended period when populating existing games that do not have any images associated with them.

AddToGamesDb 1.4.0 Update:

• Re-wrote the implementation that checks for existing games being updated.  This functionality is working now.

AddToGamesDb 1.3.1 Update:

• Solved for a race condition when choosing to update an existing game that could cause the automation to stop.

AddToGamesDb 1.3.0 Update:

• Added support for multiple Developers, Publishers and Genres.
  • Added support for Max Players and Cooperative fields.

AddToGamesDb 1.2.0 Update:

• Increased timeout for image uploads to ensure that all image uploads have time to complete.
  • Added support for all remaining Image Types -- thanks @Jason Carr!

AddToGamesDb 1.1.0 Update:

• Support added for Screenshot - Gameplay image type.
  • Added initial logging support.
  • Cleaned up underlying code -- better stability, reduced total file size, getting everything ready for more testing and logging capability.
  • Changed the way Metadata.xml (LocalDB) is being loaded to see whether or not a game already exists in the database.
  • Like 23
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I tried it with chrome (with that issue) and moved over to Firefox.

I try to work with it.

is it possible to get an information from the script what I have to do then instead of looking into a browser where nothing happens anymore :-P

@UnderwoodNC with last update it works really good!!.

Do you planning to develope massive updating?, so you can select a few games and the plugin batch multiple operations to create or update games in DB?

Edited by flores9

i have a problem with the login when I want to add a game. Chrome, Firefox and all the others doesn't want to save and auto-login to the database because of the unsafe connection to the page. does this something to do with the plug in? because when I normally go to the games db, everything works smoothly.

1 minute ago, UnderwoodNC said:

Sounds like it's referring to SSL.  What's it saying about an unsafe connection?  This is with Remember Me checked?

yes.

22 hours ago, UnderwoodNC said:

Can you copy/paste or do a screenshot of the message that comes up?

5942f26ee52bc_Bildschirmfoto2017-06-15um22_46_37.thumb.png.e59186b1895bd2ab8acfba5e39e49d84.png

and trying to login makes the chrome browser close automatically complete and that message pops up

5942f2e6bdb00_Bildschirmfoto2017-06-15um22_49_18.png.e5198184d1178ce5c9a4cdc700bdbda3.png

Edited by Chris Kant

On 5/25/2017 at 2:15 PM, UnderwoodNC said:

@flores9, @polocatfan Hi all, I've re-written the part of the code that checks for whether or not it's an existing game, and in my tests it is working consistently.  Please download the latest version and let me know if you run into any issues.

Sorry I've been busy, I shall try it now. 

I cannot add a game to the database. I'm having issues with an error as shown in the picture I've included.

I am using Windows 10 with the latest Creator's Update. Also I'm using Chrome Beta which I suspect
is confusing the searching for a Browser for this plugin and it's set as the default Web Browser.

Complaint.png

I still need to take a look at this.  It looks like you don't have Chrome installed, which is the default browser it uses.  Do you have Firefox installed?  It should pick up Firefox and use that, but I haven't tested thoroughly tested that functionality yet.  I'll uninstall Chrome hopefully sometime this weekend so I can test this out and get a fix for everyone.  

Since some days, i cant "Add Games", he stops at image upload...what can i do?
The error message does not match, i´ve add a new game not an available one

pls help

I think the coordinates are hardcoded ... i can not change them myself :-(
The webpage zo add a game must have changed?!

2017-09-28 18:54:50.3559 Error --------------

Call Site: AddToGamesDB.AddToGamesDbPlugin.LogError
 Exception Type: 
 Exception Message: 
 Stack Trace: 
 Additional Info: unknown error: Element is not clickable at point (585, 1721)
  (Session info: chrome=61.0.3163.100)
  (Driver info: chromedriver=2.29.461591 (62ebf098771772160f391d75e589dc567915b233),platform=Windows NT 10.0.15063 x86_64)

2017-09-28 18_54_59-Auditing Super Nintendo Entertainment System.png

Edited by Expello

On 9/17/2017 at 7:51 AM, UnderwoodNC said:

I still need to take a look at this. It looks like you don't have Chrome installed, which is the default browser it uses. Do you have Firefox installed? It should pick up Firefox and use that, but I haven't tested thoroughly tested that functionality yet. I'll uninstall Chrome hopefully sometime this weekend so I can test this out and get a fix for everyone.

I have Chrome Beta installed. I'd prefer not install another browser just for this. 

Hi I'm trying to use this plugin with firefox and i have an error... it says something related with parent.lock is being used by other process.

Hi all, work has kept me away for too long, but I'll look into these asap.

@Expello - Agreed, it sounds like something may have changed with the form to add games, maybe an ID or class name change, I'll check it out.

@Xirious - It may be an incompatible driver.  The automation tool, Selenium, uses a driver to load Chrome and interact with the browser.  The latest version of chromedriver.exe can be found here:  https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/chromedriver/downloads  Please try updating that driver and replacing the existing chromedriver.exe in the AddToGamesDb folder.  It sounds like that will fix it, but let me know if it doesn't and I'll keep it on the list when I can make a batch of updates.

@Juan-K - Hi Juan-K, other users have also mentioned Firefox issues.  This may also be an outdated driver.  Firefox has gone through some major updates recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if the driver to control Firefox needs to be updated as well.  The Firefox driver in the AddToGamesDb folder is called geckodriver.exe and the latest version can be found here:  https://github.com/mozilla/geckodriver/releases  Please try updating to the latest driver and let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks everyone for your patience!

• Thanks 2

I just installed the new 2.4 version of the plugin. When I try to use it nothing seemingly happens. When I check the log, I see the following:

2017-12-09 19:17:33.7521 Error --------------

Exception Type: 
 Exception Message: 
 Stack Trace: 
 Additional Info: Exception encountered when trying to get the default browser and load the WebDriver.  Error details as follows: The HTTP request to the remote WebDriver server for URL http://localhost:50842/session timed out after 60 seconds.

2017-12-09 19:17:33.7678 Error --------------

Exception Type: 
 Exception Message: 
 Stack Trace: 
 Additional Info: Exception type: Exception

2017-12-09 19:17:33.7678 Error --------------

Exception Type: 
 Exception Message: 
 Stack Trace: 
 Additional Info: The HTTP request to the remote WebDriver server for URL http://localhost:50842/session timed out after 60 seconds.

2017-12-09 19:17:33.7521 ERROR Exception encountered when trying to get the default browser and load the WebDriver.  Error details as follows: The HTTP request to the remote WebDriver server for URL http://localhost:50842/session timed out after 60 seconds.
2017-12-09 19:17:33.7678 ERROR Exception type: Exception
2017-12-09 19:17:33.7678 ERROR The HTTP request to the remote WebDriver server for URL http://localhost:50842/session timed out after 60 seconds.

Firefox is my default browser. I am running Windows 10 x64, build 1709 and the latest beta of LaunchBox (7.15 Beta 11). Please let me know if I can provide any further info.

Hi @UnderwoodNC, I don't use the plugin myself but am a daily moderator. I saw someone uploading a whole lot of new japanese games for the DS but everytime the 3D Boxes are tripled if not 4 times a duplication. I do think this person is using your plugin as before uploading the new games he used your plugin for adding 3D Box images where the duplicate entries also happened but only twice instead of 3 to 4 times. Just thought I mention it, see screenshots for example of one game, there are many many DS games that are being uploaded as we speak with 3 to 4 times the same image, its weird.

Screenshot_20180602-210255.jpg

Screenshot_20180602-210237.jpg

Screenshot_20180602-210224.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are there any plans to update this to work with Launchbox.Next?  I enjoy using this addon, but the standard Launchbox interface will be going away soon and the option is always grayed out in Launchbox.Next.

The creator of this plugin hasn't been on the forums since May 22nd so unless he updates the plugin to work with Next things don't look good for it.

Hey gang, I didn't see these messages, sorry for the delay.  I'll take a look at Next this weekend and see what I need to do to update it.  I also need to go ahead and open source the code on GitHub, I keep meaning to do that.

Thanks guys, hope you've all been well!

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the long delay, all -- moving, new job, lots of changes, but thankfully positive. 

I've updated this plugin to work for the new LaunchBox v.Next -- I haven't made all the changes I want to yet, and I have only tested a few games, but the plugin ran successfully throughout the submission process.  I hope this works for everyone, but if you have any issues, please let me know.

One update I still need to make is regarding duplicate images, as @Mr. RetroLust mentioned above.  I'm still getting caught up on everything essentially over the last year and a half, but that's one issue I want to tackle sooner rather than later.

Edited by UnderwoodNC
  • Like 1

I get this error every time i try to add a game which includes a RELEASE DATE. THIS ERROR ONLY HAPPENS on games which date is set to anything 1/1/XXXX so basically January 1st of any year. 

(Also on a side note it would be great if Compilation could be added to the list of genres because any game which i have listed as such messes up as well because its not currently an option on the website. Not really sure where to post that though)

Untitled.thumb.png.a2111f98997140615f292caba16198db.png

Edited by darreldearth

Hi, i'm trying to use the latest version of the plugin for Launchbox v.next, and I just noticed on the page it says that this only works in Chrome. I have both Chrome and Firefox installed, but Firefox is set as my default browser, so when I try to use it won't work. Is there any way to force the plugin to use Chrome without having to go through the faff of changing my default browser?

Also, despite the game (Tower Unite) not being in the database, for some reason the context menu option reads "Add New Images" rather than "Add Game".