LaunchBox Community Forums

CoverBox 4.02

(27 reviews)

56 Screenshots

About This File

The CoverBox project is one where my goal is to recreate retro console's boxart as a BigBox Theme.

Each theme is designed for 1080p.

P.S. I created graphic assets for the star ratings. Please feel free to use them in your theme.

With the release of CoverBox 4.0, the theme has been completely ported over to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator. I now included the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files that you can use to load into the CTC to make any edits that you'd like. Please follow these instructions to do so:

• Make sure you already have a copy of the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, and you have it set up (link below)
  • Download both the Theme files and COMMUNITY Theme Creator files
  • Extract the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files into your COMMUNITY Theme Creator\My Theme Projects folder (don't forget to right click the archive, go into properties, and unblock the file)
  • Open the Theme files zip, go into the Fonts folder and install all the fonts in there.
  • Open the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, you should now find it in the dropdown list of themes

Installation Instructions

1. Download the CoverBox - Theme Files.zip file.
  2. Right click the file, go to properties and make sure to unblock the file
  3. Open the zip file and place the folder into the LaunchBox\Themes folder
  4. Select the CoverBox theme in BigBox

CoverBox Images

List of Supported Platforms

Spoiler
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 7800
  • ColecoVision
  • Mattel Intellivision
  • NEC TurboGrafx-16
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Super Nintendo ENtertainment System
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • Nintendo Game Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Color
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Mark III
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Mega Drive
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega CD
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • SNK Neo Geo AES
  • Sony PlayStation
  • Sony PlayStation 2
  • Arcade
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Atari Lynx
  • NEC PC Engine
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Nintendo Famicom Disk System
  • Nintendo Pokemon Mini
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Sony PSP
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • Windows
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • WonderSwan
  • WonderSwan Color
  • GCE Vectrex
  • 3DO Interactive Multiplayer

Thanks

What's New in Version 4.02   See changelog

Released

• Text List With Details - Platform videos and platform images should be the same width
  • Text List With Details - Animation has been added to the platform box images
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 15
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Just left a review and wanted to drop a line to tell you thanks for your hard work. I hope this is something you continue to develop for with other systems and really enjoy the updated look & feel.

3 hours ago, JCSRT05 said:

Just left a review and wanted to drop a line to tell you thanks for your hard work. I hope this is something you continue to develop for with other systems and really enjoy the updated look & feel.

Thanks for the kind words. Just know that coverbox will be continuing with more systems in the future. 

Just keep an eye out.

• Like 2

got the SNES and Dreamcast themes for a testdrive. Very nice and well organized look. There is obvious thought and planning put into these themes.

• Like 1

Hey there!

PSX is spinning box art instead of Disc ?

--

edit

ok nvm found solution:

In LaunchBox: Tools -> Options -> Cart Front Priorities -> Select all Cart and Disc related entries, deselect everything else.

Edited by Undertherainbow
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Undertherainbow said:

Hey there!

PSX is spinning box art instead of Disc ?

--

edit

ok nvm found solution:

In LaunchBox: Tools -> Options -> Cart Front Priorities -> Select all Cart and Disc related entries, deselect everything else.

Awesome, glad you figured out the solution.

• Like 1

MegaDrive/Genesis had problems with game details, as noted in OP, but I loved the Wii theme so...

....almost!

Any advice on removing/changing the system logo on top right corner and I'll end up doing platform specific variants of the Wii version.

The blue is nice on the eyes.

And it just looks like a clean modern interface, although Genesis logo stupidly oversized....and hard to fit in the middle...

blue.png

Text color changes...advice on that too. Grey box on lower left corner can't stay gray forever, can it?

Edited by ChurchOfBritain

Also Private Property theme

Pirate-View.png

Just make Wii-Logo translucent.

Iargh!

blackwhite.png

blackwhite2.thumb.png.678d9bd586b20ac8c9425728cb86c24b.png

Lemme tell ya a story about Black and War

https://churchofbritain.com/2018/10/12/flux-capacitor/

15 “Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16 What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.

Job 40 - Behemoth copyright God

Edited by ChurchOfBritain

This theme is amazing! Thank you! I was wondering though, with the new LB update allowing a single theme to support all of the various platforms, would you be releasing that soon? No rush, it's just I haven't tried this theme as yet, but after seeing it featured on the LB 9.4 video, I want to try it. Keep up the great work! We really appreciate it ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MangaAddict said:

This theme is amazing! Thank you! I was wondering though, with the new LB update allowing a single theme to support all of the various platforms, would you be releasing that soon? No rush, it's just I haven't tried this theme as yet, but after seeing it featured on the LB 9.4 video, I want to try it. Keep up the great work! We really appreciate it ?

Hi @MangaAddict. Thanks a lot.

I am currently working on combining all the themes into 1 as we speak. At the same time, I'm going to make a plugin that includes all the CoverBox fonts (there are a lot), so people don't have to manually install the fonts anymore, they will just work.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, faeran said:

Hi @MangaAddict. Thanks a lot.

I am currently working on combining all the themes into 1 as we speak. At the same time, I'm going to make a plugin that includes all the CoverBox fonts (there are a lot), so people don't have to manually install the fonts anymore, they will just work.

I'll definitely look out for it. I'm really glad I found this. Thanks again ?

• Thanks 1

HI @faeran is it possible to remove the scan lines filter while viewing the game videos? I prefer the cleaner look, but refuse to stop using your theme, it's too perfect. Lol

2 minutes ago, MangaAddict said:

HI @faeran is it possible to remove the scan lines filter while viewing the game videos? I prefer the cleaner look, but refuse to stop using your theme, it's too perfect. Lol

Hi @MangaAddict. The simplest way for you to get rid of the scanlines would be to just delete (or rename) the scanline file in this path:

CoverBox\Images\Themes\scanlines.png

I just made a new pc with LaunchBox. I was thinking how awesome it would be if there was a theme that looked like the box art....my dreams have come true!! This is excellent work my friend! I truly appreciate the hard work that has gone into this. I showed the build to my brother in law today’s and he was floored by the theme! Please keep them coming!!! I need these for all the home and ha shelf consoles!!

Congratulations, this is the best theme for me. Anybody can help me with a small problem?

How do I disable these game notes in the video base? sorry for my ignorance.

Notes.thumb.png.cc6711e04b204cddbbd47dc2394d166d.png

2 hours ago, Felipe Cunha said:

Congratulations, this is the best theme for me. Anybody can help me with a small problem?

How do I disable these game notes in the video base? sorry for my ignorance.

Notes.thumb.png.cc6711e04b204cddbbd47dc2394d166d.png

Unfortunately, It is hard coded into the theme. You would need to delve into each system's XAML file and find the horizontal scrolling notes code and delete it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for keeping this updated & adding more systems! I use CoverBox as my main theme, and then use Retrotastic to fill in for the systems that aren't available yet (I also use CriticalZone v2 BlueBox for MS-DOS). Using the T.K.O. Cinematics videos for the systems that have them, captures what it was like as a kid, looking at the box art for the games & system. To me, that's what separates LaunchBox/BigBox from just using emulators. There's something a bit sterile about opening a game in an emulator by itself, but having themes like CoverBox comes as close to making me feel like I'm flipping through a physical game collection as possible. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2019 at 2:57 PM, faeran said:

Unfortunately, It is hard coded into the theme. You would need to delve into each system's XAML file and find the horizontal scrolling notes code and delete it.

Thank you!

This is one of my favorite themes. Every system supported looks great.

I have a few playlists that include multiple systems. (Like a Castlevania playlist) Coverbox defaults to a generic template. Is it possible to have multiple platforms views in a single playlist? Retrotastic is able to switch to each systems custom skin and I enjoy using this in attract mode.

I appreciate all your work on this theme. It really presents everything in a well thought out way.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:28 AM, BendBombBoom said:

This is one of my favorite themes. Every system supported looks great.

I have a few playlists that include multiple systems. (Like a Castlevania playlist) Coverbox defaults to a generic template. Is it possible to have multiple platforms views in a single playlist? Retrotastic is able to switch to each systems custom skin and I enjoy using this in attract mode.

I appreciate all your work on this theme. It really presents everything in a well thought out way.

Hi @BendBombBoom. This is possible with Retrotastic because it's just an image change, while using the same code. CoverBox uses different code depending on which system you have loaded, so there's no changing on the fly. You could apply one of the system themes to a playlist by finding the system specific xaml files and making copies with the name of your playlist, but you can't use multiple system xaml files for one playlist.

7 hours ago, neil9000 said:

@illegalhugs

image.thumb.png.7a3e5a4f710df21b981bb4033dd40d4b.pngClearly stated in red text on the download page.

Damn. Totally thought that was a reference to the multitude of his release work being combined into one iteration, instead of being the disclaimer of minimum requirement for full functionality.

Thank you for the help!

If you're the Dev reading this, please help those of us out by letting us know it's required in the release. I barely have time these days to spend on this hobby, I'm purely going off of what it's front of me. Having some clear language around software requirements would help folks like myself avoid any confusion. Despite the tone, I am grateful. Thank you for your work.