LaunchBox Community Forums

Playstation 1 (PSX) Emulation with ePSXe

Jason Carr

Was able to get Playstation 1 (PSX) emulation working fine with ePSXe version 1.9.0: http://www.epsxe.com/download.php In order to get the emulator working properly, though, you have to download the Playstation BIOS. I grabbed mine from here: [Link removed due to malware] Grab the version you wish (US, Japan, or Europe), extract it, and then place it in the bios folder inside of your ePSXe folder. Then you'll need Pete's OpenGL2 PSX GPU graphics plugin from here (I downloaded version 2.9): http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm#OGL2 Unzip that guy and place the gpuPeteOpenGL2.dll in the plugins folder of your ePSXe folder. Then manually launch ePSXe and run through the wizard, leaving the defaults for pretty much everything. Go ahead and configure your Video and Game Pad however your wish, give it a shot, and then you're ready to connect it to LaunchBox. In LaunchBox, add your first Playstation game, and then go to the Emulation tab in the Edit Game dialog. Check "Use an emulator to play this game" and then add a new emulator. Set the Emulator Name to whatever you wish (probably ePSXe), and then browse to and select the ePSXe.exe file for the Emulator Application Path. The trick to get ePSXe to auto-launch a game is to put "-nogui -loadbin" (without the quotes) in the command-line parameters. This will tell ePSXe to load the game that LaunchBox hands it. Finally, set the platform to Sony Playstation. This will ensure that any other Playstation games automatically use the emulator going forward. You should see something like this (though the Emulation Application Path will be different depending on where you put the emulator): LaunchBox-ePSXe.png Once you have the emulator configured, you merely need to make sure that you've selected the game's ROM file (.bin, .cue, or .iso most likely) in the Launcher tab, and you should be good to go.
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
Hi Jason, I am new to emulation and your LaunchBox front end was the main selling point for me to give it a try. I just wanted to give you a heads up that the download button for the PS BIOS file on roms4droid may have been compromised. If you use the Download button for the American BIOS you get the file "psx_bios_extractor.exe" instead of the proper "SCPH1001.bin" file. The .exe file is potential bad news and is popping up on lots of adware and malware lists. There is a DDL Mirror link just below the button that downloads the correct .bin file, though. The Japan and Europe Download buttons work correctly as well. Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
You need to open the Edit window for the game you want to add extra discs to. Click on Additional Apps. Click on Add Application. Application Name box: Put in something like Disc 2, or Resident Evil: Disc 2 or whatever you prefer. Rom File: Browse to the disc image to be added. Tick the Use Emulator box. Leave the Auto Run Before/After Main App boxes empty. You might get stuck in a loop. Now when you right-click the game's Boxart image you will see the new disc added. When you finish playing a disc and do a memory card save, you can exit the game and then right-click to run the next disc.

• 4 months later...
Here's a good link for the bios set: http://www.emuparadise.me/biosfiles/bios.html My problem is getting the multi-track games working (Doom, GTA). Anyone have a successful method? EDIT: Never mind. Got it by pointing LaunchBox to the cue file instead of the bin file - that is, after I combined all of the bin files together and created a new cue.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Alexkidd580 said:

I have my all my games copied. I do this for backup purposes.

If you are Having Launchbox copy the files at import then it is only copying the .cue file so thats why they dont work. Either copy everything to the Launchbox folder first, or tell it to leave the games where they are.