LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

7 hours ago, cleverest said:

Ran the setup.bat in my launchbox, and it goes for awhile with all the DOSBOX stuff and then tells me, this erro, but then continues, into the !dos stuff...should I be concerned?

exodos_setup_error.JPG

Could the issue be related to it not finding a file at this part that I posted before about, before the !dos copy process begins?

No, that error is expected if you don't have all 5 packs.

Remember, launchbox really doesn't care about anything other than the XML file. It uses that to determine what games will show up.

Go to your platforms folder and check the date stamp on the MS-DOS.xml file.

Also, do you have multiple copies of launchbox installed? I once had an issue where even though I was launching one specific copy, for some reason Windows was launching a different copy. In know because my game lists were totally different, and even though I was launching an exodos version, I was getting a version I use for my arcade.

FIXED it...ridiculous way too...There was another MS-DOS XML in platforms that I had RENAMED once to back it up, like MS-DOSpreviousversion.XML...

I ZIPPED that file and deleted the actual XML, now it loads all games...somehow Launchbox was loading that despite it being renamed....lesson learned!

Edited by cleverest

eXoDOS, would you happen to have a list of the adult games provided in your packages, specifically for 3.0+ releases...I just need to be aware of what to remove if I share these with my friends...some won't be into that. 

I think I found all of them that is in RPG and ADVENTURE, but I'm not sure....I only found one in Strategy (Teenage Queen) so far, but wanted to ask before I went though 1,367 titles...

Thank you for all your help and your hard work on this awesome collection. 

Glad you fixed it! All adult games are marked as adult. Can you sort or filter by rating?

When it was a meagre only collection it asked during install if you wanted to remove adult games. I disabled that though as to do it in launchbox would require XML edits.

I suppose I could create two versions of each pack. One with adult and one without, and then it asks which one you want on install.

In the mean time though, Jason told me that marking them as adult games would give people the ability to delete or hide them.

7 hours ago, cleverest said:

That's extra funny since I work in IT and have for 20 years.  Made me really LOL!

When you get old your brain turns to pigshit, well that's my experience, I forget simplistic commands, I once had to google ipconfig , for my life I couldn't remember it ??

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, eXo said:

Glad you fixed it! All adult games are marked as adult. Can you sort or filter by rating?

When it was a meagre only collection it asked during install if you wanted to remove adult games. I disabled that though as to do it in launchbox would require XML edits.

I suppose I could create two versions of each pack. One with adult and one without, and then it asks which one you want on install.

In the mean time though, Jason told me that marking them as adult games would give people the ability to delete or hide them.

eXoDOS, you said that Jason said that it would let me delete or hide them, but I have no way to filter them in Launchbox and see which games are which...I'll look around more...

I just sort of took his word for it, as I don't know the ins and outs of launchbox as well as most. 

I'm a bit buried in other things right now. Can we put this off until all 5 packs have been released? At that point I can at leats make a master list of "adult" games without having to worry about going back and updating it again later when the next pack hits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eXo said:

I just sort of took his word for it, as I don't know the ins and outs of launchbox as well as most. 

I'm a bit buried in other things right now. Can we put this off until all 5 packs have been released? At that point I can at leats make a master list of "adult" games without having to worry about going back and updating it again later when the next pack hits.

Sure man, really appreciate it.

eXo, you mentioned working on 5 packs, but you do have a Win3x pack as well. I know you had mentioned elsewhere you had planned to go back to that pack for updates at some point, but do you think as part of your LB integration work that you could update that pack as well just for installation purposes? If you had specific other plans for it though, I wasn't aware, lots of threads to keep up with.

Edited by gt46l

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question regarding eXoDOS import. I'm currently importing the eXoDOS strategy collection manually (yeah I know...my preferred method). I have copied across all the images and manuals to the correct locations.

My question is regarding the metadata folders. I see that the eXoDOS strategy zip file has a "metadata" folder. The contents of this folder look similar to the corresponding folder in my own Launchbox/Metadata directory. However, the eXoDOS metadata folder has 3 .xml files - files.xml, mame.xml and metadata.xml.

I'm not sure why the eXoDOS zip has a mame.xml, and I'm wondering why there is no MS-DOS.xml like there is in my Launchbox folder! How do I copy across the relevant XML data so that I can run the games from my Launchbox? Thanks!

On 4/8/2018 at 3:23 PM, gt46l said:

eXo, you mentioned working on 5 packs, but you do have a Win3x pack as well. I know you had mentioned elsewhere you had planned to go back to that pack for updates at some point, but do you think as part of your LB integration work that you could update that pack as well just for installation purposes? If you had specific other plans for it though, I wasn't aware, lots of threads to keep up with.

Oh yea, I will work on Win3x after I'm done with DOS. I'm not leaving that one out in the cold.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Quick question regarding eXoDOS import. I'm currently importing the eXoDOS strategy collection manually (yeah I know...my preferred method). I have copied across all the images and manuals to the correct locations.

My question is regarding the metadata folders. I see that the eXoDOS strategy zip file has a "metadata" folder. The contents of this folder look similar to the corresponding folder in my own Launchbox/Metadata directory. However, the eXoDOS metadata folder has 3 .xml files - files.xml, mame.xml and metadata.xml.

I'm not sure why the eXoDOS zip has a mame.xml, and I'm wondering why there is no MS-DOS.xml like there is in my Launchbox folder! How do I copy across the relevant XML data so that I can run the games from my Launchbox? Thanks!

I'm actually about to put a v3.11 release out. Full details are posted at PD. They will be free for one week. This will be v3.11 of ADV, RPG, and the recent STR release. Lots of new games, lots of fixes, and one of the things I did was change which files are in the launchbox.zip and the metadata zip. When I first started this project I didn't have a full understanding of the way LB parses and stores its data. The new metadata zip files have only info that pertains to exodos in them now. That mame.xml file, and others like it, were all created during my install of launch box. I didn't remove them because they were small enough to not cause concern and I didn't want to risk blowing something up. Just ignore them.

• Like 2

Yes, you can point it to your current folder. That will save a lot of Bandwidth.

As far as your launchbox goes, you should be able to just copy the new platform XML file and the images & manuals folder over to your lb install.

Edited by eXo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eXo said:

Yes, you can point it to your current folder. That will save a lot of Bandwidth.

As far as your launchbox goes, you should be able to just copy the new platform XML file and the images & manuals folder over to your lb install.

Thank you. If we are manually moving it into our collection, which I’ve done with the rest of them, we still have to run the setup.bat right?