LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

Just went through all 33 pages of this thread - whew.

Thank you very much for this eXo! I didn't realize you were the author of the ScummVM collection as well, hats off to you man, I know how much work can go into a project like this!

For anyone like me with worse internet than many 3rd-world countries - at PD, Folding@Home - Upload Credit Incentive Scheme™ should be a close friend!

(I know what my internet will be munching on for a week) ;)

Edited by PhuriousGeorge

And on that note, I'm FINALLY finished updating/uploading all the games from the @eXo DOS 2.0 collection to the database. 

Please note that any games that have changed / been added in the 3.0, 3.1, or 3.11 releases haven't been added yet because I am only mortal. I'm probably going to wait for the 3.11 release of all 5 volumes before I do them. Maybe I'll do the Win3x0 games now? I don't know, I'm tired...so very tired...

Funnily enough I started doing this so that eXo wouldn't have to do as much work importing the collection into LaunchBox, but now it looks like the collection will already have all the metadata/imgaes included, so I guess I just did it for me? Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, your work helps me a lot. I rely on your database entries when I first bring games over to LB. It's a lot slower when I have to add games from scratch versus pulling over most of the data from the DB.

I haven't brought any vol 4 or 5 stuff over yet, so other than the games I add before I do the import, it will make a huge difference for me.

The one field I over write is genre, simply because I like to track several genres not in the lb database.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2018 at 4:20 PM, FistyDollars said:

And on that note, I'm FINALLY finished updating/uploading all the games from the @eXo DOS 2.0 collection to the database. 

Please note that any games that have changed / been added in the 3.0, 3.1, or 3.11 releases haven't been added yet because I am only mortal. I'm probably going to wait for the 3.11 release of all 5 volumes before I do them. Maybe I'll do the Win3x0 games now? I don't know, I'm tired...so very tired...

Funnily enough I started doing this so that eXo wouldn't have to do as much work importing the collection into LaunchBox, but now it looks like the collection will already have all the metadata/imgaes included, so I guess I just did it for me? Sigh.

I have been (slowly) working on putting the win 3.1 games in the database.  If you do end up working on them, perhaps staring with the Z's and working backwards and we will meet in the middle somewhere?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Damn @eXo, you're a machine!

@Dan It's easy enough to import one at a time, all you have to do is to copy the contents of the MS-DOX.xml included in the eXoDOS releases and paste it under your existing MS-DOS.xml contents.  Just be sure to copy from <Game> tag to the end </Game> tag or </AdditionalApplication>.  Don't copy or paste past the <LaunchBox> tag.  Backup before just in case you mess things up, but I can help if you run into issues.

I also know eXo included a merge.bat file for XML, but copy/paste was just too easy :)

No idea Dan. 

To put it into perspective, I first released eXoDOS Adv in 2010 (or late 2009) I believe and it took me until summer of 2013 to get the final volume out. That was nonstop work for nearly 4 years. I don't have nearly the time now that I did back then. My job is more demanding now, kids were born, and in general life changes. I was simply lucky back then to get paid fairly well to not have to do much (automation for the win!).

Obviously it doesn't take that long to release the updates, but the fact I have gotten 3 volumes out in 5 months isn't indicative of how long it actually takes. I had started work on the version 3 release in late 2016. I spent a good portion of 2017 adding games to Adv, RPG, and Strategy and working out the process of getting my work into LB. 

The volume I'm on now, Simulation\Educational\Sports and the one after (Action) have had zero work done on them before now. I have about 200 games I still plan on looking into for the Sim pack, at which point I'll do another check to see if anything new has surfaced. When that is done, I begin the process of bringing everything over into LB.

Action is the real wild card though. I have 550+ games in queue to be added to that one. Some time goes into tracking those titles down, some goes into adding them, and some goes into creating the metadata for meagre. And then, after all that, importing it all into LB.  The work Fisty has done helps a lot in bringing 2.0 titles over, but all the new ones have to be added by hand. So for 500+ titles, that's quite a bit of work.

I hope to get it all done within this year but I'm not interested in trying to predict exactly when. 

Edited by eXo
  • Thanks 2

@eXo I'm in the middle of a job transfer/relocation, but I'm sure if you've got a listing of titles, Fisty, myself and possibly others would me more than happy to assist!

Edit: Also, if you have a list of games you're still looking for, I've ran into a few treasure troves of old rarities here in Texas.  I could keep an eye out for specific titles.

Edited by PhuriousGeorge

For missing titles, I have a thread over at PD that I keep up to date with any known ones. It would be a bit much to duplicate the list here and then keep both of them up to date. The primary issue is they are mainly old shareware/freeware games at this point. Very few were commercially released, which makes them harder to find.