LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

You have to type the line & place a file in your exodos\util\ folder

The file is called "setconsole.exe" and can be found her:

http://prozandcoms.stefanoz.com/setconsole-exe-console-window-control/

after you place it in your util folder, you then have to go to the launch file and add this line right under the @echo off line:

..\..\..\util\setconsole.exe /minimize

Edited by eXo
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eXo said:

You have to type the line & place a file in your exodos\util\ folder

The file is called "setconsole.exe" and can be found her:

http://prozandcoms.stefanoz.com/setconsole-exe-console-window-control/

after you place it in your util folder, you then have to go to the launch file and add this line right under the @echo off line:

rem ..\..\..\util\setconsole.exe /minimize

It works provided I add "..\..\..\util\setconsole.exe /minimize"  -  (WITHOUT rem)

Thanks!

I am doing the same thing, just with a different tool.

I will be creating zip files that contain all of the launch files for Vol 1 and another for all of Vol 2 that have the proper directory structure, so if they are extracted from the proper folder - they will overwrite the old launch files. Apart from adding them to the strategy pack, I will also post them on a file share site for anyone who wants to grab them separately once they are complete.

• Like 2

i went and changed every launch file for all 5 packs. I've also created zip files that contain all the fixes for Adventure and RPG packs.

Adventure patch includes:

Fixed launch files that no longer show console window

fixed 7th guest conf file that now loads the right cd images

fixed Jame's Clavell's Shogun, which had the game file missing

note: the Shogun and 7th Guest issues are also both fixed by adding RPG 3.1

RPG patch includes:

Fixed launch files that no longer show console window

fixed Shadow Sorcerer conf file which was calling the wrong executable

fixed Might & Magic 6 cycles

I now need to write a batch file that applies the patch properly. I'll probably get to it tomorrow and then post the patch online and give a link here.

Edited by eXo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it's a DOS game, it's in my collection. DOS games that are supported by ScummVM will prompt you on launch as to whether or not you want to play the game in DOSbox or ScummVM.

There are some ScummVM games that are not in eXoDOS, simply because they aren't DOS games.

I happen to maintain a separate collection called The Complete ScummVM Collection, however I don't have any plans in place currently to shove it into launchbox. I may do something at some point though.

Edited by eXo

Eh... I think it is easy enough for someone to take my scummvm collection and add the games they so choose to their launchbox setup. Unlike dos games, they don't require any setup and launchbox already has scummvm support. It seems redundant to me to release games I've already released simply because they aren't DOS games, so that probably won't happen.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, eXo said:

Eh... I think it is easy enough for someone to take my scummvm collection and add the games they so choose to their launchbox setup. Unlike dos games, they don't require any setup and launchbox already has scummvm support. It seems redundant to me to release games I've already released simply because they aren't DOS games, so that probably won't happen.

Exactly ScummVM have their own full set bss the v# It can be separate in LB

Exo, for the SCUMMVM/DOS games in the collection, when it prompts you for which one....what is the advantage of choosing one or the other?  Does one provide a better experience in some way? Are they identical, any negatives/positives you can highlight?  Does it vary on a per game basis, or not really?

The short answer is, I give both options because certain people have certain preferences. If I forced dosbox, there would be people asking for ScummVM support. If I forced ScummVM, there would be people complaining that some games aren't "original" in ScummVM. Giving the option puts the choice in each person's hands.

That said, ScummVM does fix a few bugs here and there that were never officially fixed by the original developers. It also offers different scaling options than DOSbox. From an audio perspective, it supports MT32, which while possible in DOSbox, is much harder to get working. ScummVM also offers enhanced soundtrack support for some games. So unfortunately, yes, it is on a per game basis and it has to do with how much advantage each person wants to take of the extra features that ScummVM offers. I would say that in just about every way, playing a game via ScummVM is going to be a more stable experience as it is vigorously bug tested. 

I generally stick to ScummVM myself on games where I have that option. But I can see why folks might prefer DOSbox in some cases. 

It really is a matter of preference, but if you want my advice, go with ScummVM. If it happens to be a game you grew up on and means a lot to you, try it both ways and see which one feels more authentic to you.

On 3/19/2018 at 2:28 PM, Dan said:

Ah I C! Yes, regarding your ScummVM collection, it might be worth releasing a pack of all those ScummVM games that aren't already in you DOS packs (or your Windows pack for that matter, once the update is released). :D

There is a complete ScummVM pack on a private tracker site that eXo released. Version 2.0 back in December. Gee.

Edited by JamesBond@ge

The 3.1 packs don't play nicely with the 2.0 packs unless you understand the packs well enough to know how to combine the files.

Apart from that, if you want to combine packs you simply copy them into the same folder as eachother before running setup. It is that easy.

Just now, eXo said:

The 3.1 packs don't play nicely with the 2.0 packs unless you understand the packs well enough to know how to combine the files.

Apart from that, if you want to combine packs you simply copy them into the same folder as eachother before running setup. It is that easy.

so it can be done out combining.