LaunchBox Community Forums

Using multiple emulators?

Imgema

2 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

If you have a few games that need a different emulator, you can just edit the entry and select a different emulator for that game.

This is not the same thing.

This is about fast switching emulators on the fly through a context menu. Like right click on a game and "run with" and select from a list of emulators you have setup for that system. This is about having huge collections of games and want to test which emulators run best with which games. Also, emulators get updated all the time. Again, a context menu should allow for a fast switching and testing, even when a game has a different default emulator selected. Please, look at my QuickPlay example in my previous posts. It's a different thing. And very useful.

Edited by Imgema

8 hours ago, Imgema said:

This is not the same thing.

This is about fast switching emulators on the fly through a context menu. Like right click on a game and "run with" and select from a list of emulators you have setup for that system. This is about having huge collections of games and want to test which emulators run best with which games. Also, emulators get updated all the time. Again, a context menu should allow for a fast switching and testing, even when a game has a different default emulator selected. Please, look at my QuickPlay example in my previous posts. It's a different thing. And very useful.

I never said it was, I know what you're talking about (if you read earlier in the thread I said the run as / run with option), but in light of not having anything if it's 1 or 2 games then it's really not a big deal with how it's set up.

• 3 months later...

I really want to see this option as well.  I am using Big Box over Nvidia's Gamestream and stream to multiple TVs in the house.  Dolphin supports stereoscopic 3D and one of my TVs supports 3D, but there are no command line arguments to enable the feature.  So I have to enable 3D in Dolphin if I want to use it, and disable it when I'm done.  It would be awesome if I could just have a seperate Dolphin install configured for 3D that I could launch instead.  Would love to see it function similar to the additional applications where it adds a new option like "Dolphin 3D" that could be used if I am in front of the 3D TV, or I could use the standard Dolphin if I am using my other TV.

In the latest beta, guys, is the new multiple ROM versions stuff. What you *could* do is just put in two different additional apps for the game, each with a different emulator. This stuff is new in the latest beta, but that should allow you to do exactly what you're looking for, though there's no way to set it up automatically in batch.

I want to use this feature in Bigbox with rocket launcher so I can have an option to load a game with different visual settings. An example would be a selection to load an NES game with a CRT filter and another with upscaled graphics. The NES classic has something similar were you can change the output. I'd like to see this but setting it up for each game would take a long time.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I personally could care less about integrating a separate app like RL. I would like to see the ability for example while in Big Box when I click on a game to have a window pop up with the emulators that I have listed in the system. It would be nice as well if the window was aesthetically pleasing to the eye. That is what I am waiting for. [emoji5]

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/13/2016 at 5:48 AM, SagaXIV said:

One way that could work would be to slect the roms you want to run with a different emulator, right click, select edit, then slect the favored emulator for those roms. This would only work in the case you use certain emulators for certain roms, and not, say 2 different emulator for 1 rom. I havnt tested, but I "think" this should work in such case.

I don't think this works.  But I'm new to launchbox and haven't be able to test everything. I believe choosing a different emulator that has different associated platforms will cause it to do nothing because the game you're trying to run is under a different platform.

Can anyone verify this?

I thought by creating 1 platform for Capcom, and using Retroarch with all the cores using the same Capcom associated platform, would cause it to run through the cores till it found one that worked. However it did not.

Yes and no.

If you need specific command-line parameters (as is the case with Retroarch in order to indicate the core dll and possibly specifying a custom config) then you have to have an associated platform for it in your Retroarch emulator entry (and corresponding parameters). If, however, it's an emulator that doesn't require any special parameters and you're directing a compatible rom type to it, an associated platform isn't necessary.

For example, if I were to direct a C64 rom to Vice 64, and the only associated platform in my Vice 64 emulator entry was "SNES" or something, it would still work because it's a compatible rom and I don't have to specify a command line parameter for it to work. I'm just saying "I want you to direct this file [rom] at this executable [Vice 64]" and that's it.

For Retroarch you have to specify what core (only one) you want to use for the game you're about to play. So you're saying "If I use Retroarch to play an SNES game, use the BSNES core. If I use Retroarch to play a Genesis game, use the Genesis Plus GX core" and you're specifying the names of those as dlls in the command line parameter field for each of those associated platforms.

I just tried running Willow for Cps1 to test. When trying it with the emulator I set up for Cps1 which is retroarch core fbalpha. It doesn't work. So I ran it direct through RA testing different cores and found it working on fbalpha2012. 

I got it working by telling it to use custom command line. Only issue now is a 7zip window pops up just before launch asking to extract the game and it remains there when closing out the game. I found pressing escape quickly before the game launches causes it to close but I can't find the command for escape to add to the custom command.

The custom command is a simple fix for this issue, but I'd like to figure out something better since I'm sure I'm going to run into this issue with many of these arcade games.

Cps1_02.JPG

That's definitely not how you want to do it...

You make an emulator entry for Retroarch, add in the associated platforms (they have to match the platform names in your library) and add in the appropriate core dlls that you want to use for each platform.

5929aa880869d_Retroarch-EmulatorEntry.thumb.png.5bb97c66fba767ee145ea7d0f1cbc4e9.png5929aa91ab473_Retroarch-AssociatedPlatforms.thumb.png.0996813c663d10b9e036d886a8848ee3.png1941.thumb.png.60601a47b95e7b43d8d6ce43b0413dfa.pngIf you decide that you want to still use Retroarch but a different core for the same platform, you can make a new emulator entry for that:

5929ab7d54f30_Retroarch-MAME1.thumb.png.8d25ac3b3b5b780f47a086e342c52690.png5929ab8668d5c_Retroarch-MAME2.thumb.png.3e40fd6f720b80ffbf12c59784ced982.png5929ab92d80cc_Retroarch-MAME20141.thumb.png.286fd04937a0757d2b68e6358ba5a42f.png5929ab9a56d0a_Retroarch-MAME20142.thumb.png.bf221f55f0f8f85cd093b15d6c5e7f64.pngThen just assign them on a case by case basis as needed.

5929abc934006_19412.thumb.png.154bc96d9fcd8baf78d7cd839d523f69.png

• Like 1

+1 for simple "run with"

+1 for LB to evolve (and stay) as a completely self-sustainable front-end without need of middle-ware (by all means support the middle-ware just render it less and less a need)

I vote for it too and would like to see it.

Seems like it might be a good one for someone to create a plugin for, if plugins have access to all that is needed for this menu option. Don't know if it can work for BB as a plugin? 

This feature has lots of votes in bitbucket. Hope Jason adds it in the next release.

The whole point of this request is a fast way to test/run games using every emulator you have assigned for the systems. Without having to edit and re-edit the "default" emulator every time you want to use a different one. By double-clicking the rom, it launches the default emulator and that's fine. What we are asking is that, when you right-click on a ROM, you get the option to "run with" any of the other emulators that support that system, without editing anything.

I posted this in the first page but i'll repost it for the second, in case anyone missed it

oqYljbe.jpg

You can see this in QuickPlay. It allows you to change emulators on the fly, without re-editing every time you want to test a different emulator. And it only shows the emulators that are compatible with the system you want to play. This is one of the best features of this program.

Edited by Imgema
  • Like 2