LaunchBox Community Forums

Childhood frustrations with super DIFFICULT games

RiftCreeper

What games made you so frustrated as a kid you wanted to scream?!? Megaman 2 although one of my favorite games, it has scared me emotionally during childhood from the shear difficulty... Disappearing blocks anyone. Ghosts n Goblins.. nuff said. Last but not least.. Battletoads! Damn good game but I never could make it past the turbo tunnel. I eventually did a few years ago .. with some help ahem *save states* ahem. I swear the collision detection in that turbo tunnel is off! One of these days I'm tearing into the assembly to figure out how it all works Wink megaman1nes.jpg32234-ghosts-n-goblins-nes-screenshot-a-haunted-forests.jpgBattletoads_gameplay.jpg

You and I had similar childhoods, haha. Especially Battletoads. The few times I managed to get passed the jetski intestine part, I was so frazzled and had so few lives that I just couldn't perform anymore haha. Add to the list Marble Madness (NES), Ghostbusters (NES), Friday the 13th (NES), and lastly The Smurfs for my friends Atari 2600. That game... True story, I just picked The Smurfs back up recently and discovered YOU CAN DOUBLE JUMP. It all makes sense now.

My first system was the Intellevision. So yes I have been gaming from the early 80's. I never really had any game make me overly upset...until the online FPS came around. 3 seconds after spawning getting killed by some 10 year old on the other side of the world before I even know where I was, lol. Probably why I don't play online multi-player games now...

lordmonkus said Childhood ? I'm getting more scarred by games now in my old age. I'm looking at you Souls series games, so muc swearing at the TV.
I've been playing Dark Souls 3... it's just punishing. I think it may be harder than the previous games, but I have read people saying that it's easier. That may just be e-brag though. But yeah... back in the day when you couldn't save console games... dying meant starting over. You had to really want it. lol *edit* On the flip side though... when you beat one of those games back when we were kids we were celebrating and jumping around... it was a big deal. You beat a game now and you are like... eh, when's the DLC? haha

I never liked hard ass games. I am a casual gamer and I absolutely hate games that will break my neck. Hmmm.. the most frustrating I can think is maybe Chip and Dale on NES? I remember I played that with a friend and loved the game, but it was hard as sit at some points and never finished it back then. I guess for me it was more like how much I liked the game, rather than how hard it was though. Even if my memory is not good, I can confirm this feeling with Dwarf Fortress that is newer. God I hate that game. Not only it is hard, but it is 100% unfair and does not care one bit about giving a breath of air to the player. I have never managed to advance too much, even if people say it can be really easy, but even if it kicks my ass every time and even if I hate it so much, whenever someone asks me about it, I tell them it is an awesome game. I just can't help myself liking hard games I guess, as long as they are pleasing me. One of the weirdest moments of my gaming was with Wild Guns on SNES. It was so well made and it looked awesome and when I eventually played it with a cousin I beat it.. but this is one of the good games I played, that for some reason I did not enjoy. Maybe it is because when I was a little kid I used to play in an arcade machine Cabal. What an awesome game. I never managed ot beat it, but it felt so awesome... and yet Wild Guns that was better.. didn't reach me I guess. I can also point out Ghosts and Goblins... but honestly even if the game frustrated me, I eventually jsut gave up on it. I am considering that one, a game that never made an impact on me, be it good or bad. I played it from the Arcade version up to the last one being the SNES version that was.. Super... well at least it had super in the title. Really hard ass game, but low motivation for me sadly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...