LaunchBox Community Forums

Pc Games Video Snaps

ssmoker

Hello all Can anyone here tell me where to get video snaps of my current Pc games like fallout 4, Witcher 3 & left for dead? EmuMovies has VERY little when it comes to these video snaps. I am mainly using this in BigBox. Thanks in advance.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7382-steam-wheel-creator/ I know this tool is geared toward Hyperspin, but the artwork and videos it creates can be used for BigBox. Have never used it yet but have heard good things about it. Pretty much it grabs the videos from the games Steam page. Another option would be to download videos from YouTube.

I am looking at what we have as far as PC Games and currently we have 904 video snaps but there are an unlimited amount of games really. I have thought about scraping in steam vids but in actuality trailers and such play very differently than our edited video snaps. If anyone would like to submit captures for us to edit and package up please let me know and we will get them added for all.

• 2 years later...
On 8/1/2016 at 9:52 AM, circo said:

I am looking at what we have as far as PC Games and currently we have 904 video snaps but there are an unlimited amount of games really. I have thought about scraping in steam vids but in actuality trailers and such play very differently than our edited video snaps. If anyone would like to submit captures for us to edit and package up please let me know and we will get them added for all.

Has this ever gotten anywhere. I am also looking for PC game video snaps.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:32 AM, mviars said:

Has this ever gotten anywhere. I am also looking for PC game video snaps.

Unfortunately not. Most PC video snaps on emumovies are for games that can be played on arcade cabinets. 

I think Circo relies on people's submissions to create the video snaps, so unless people submit them, we're not going to get them. Same goes for DOS. What I did was get an unlicensed copy of Fraps. The unlicensed copy records for 30 secs at a time. Very convenient to record videos snaps. Not the same quality as emumovies with the title screen at the end but good enough for my setup. I then run them through handbrake to reduce file size.

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2018 at 11:31 PM, circo said:

We cover about 6000 different pc games in em Sync but there are always more.  

Sorry, I'm new here. What's "em Sync"? 

I'm currently trying to create a library for Steam/GOG games as classy as for old console games, with all the descriptions, images, and ideally video snaps...

Thanks

7 minutes ago, an531 said:

I'm currently trying to create a library for Steam/GOG games as classy as for old console games, with all the descriptions, images, and ideally video snaps...

Thanks

emumovies sync, its a program for premium emumovies subscribers to scrape artwork/videos for there games outside of doing it directly in the Launchbox UI.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, an531 said:

Thanks

To be honest, the PC game videos at emumovies are really old. You better off recording your own with something like Fraps. The free version only records 30 seconds but that's all you need. Emumovies are only 30 seconds long anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Styphelus said:

To be honest, the PC game videos at emumovies are really old. You better off recording your own with something like Fraps. The free version only records 30 seconds but that's all you need. Emumovies are only 30 seconds long anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is that I have hundreds of PC games. The perspective of installing each of them (some AAAs being in the tens of GBs in size) and then recording video snaps honestly scares me. I don't think that it would take one person more time than there are atoms in the universe to complete such collection, but it could get close. Perhaps it would be easier to make video snaps from youtube gameplay videos, since at least I wouldn't have to install all the games, but it would still take lots and lots of time. To be honest, I would be happy to even have gameplay images for each Steam/GOG game, but it's usually only the cover, which sadly says very little about how the game actually looks during play through. I doubt that I'll even play most of those games, but by grouping them into a nice collection it would definitely help me make best use of my free time and game resources.

1 hour ago, an531 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is that I have hundreds of PC games. The perspective of installing each of them (some AAAs being in the tens of GBs in size) and then recording video snaps honestly scares me. I don't think that it would take one person more time than there are atoms in the universe to complete such collection, but it could get close. Perhaps it would be easier to make video snaps from youtube gameplay videos, since at least I wouldn't have to install all the games, but it would still take lots and lots of time. To be honest, I would be happy to even have gameplay images for each Steam/GOG game, but it's usually only the cover, which sadly says very little about how the game actually looks during play through. I doubt that I'll even play most of those games, but by grouping them into a nice collection it would definitely help me make best use of my free time and game resources.

Use this plugin to download trailers from youtube.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Use this plugin to download trailers from youtube.

Many thanks for sharing this info with me!

This method is a pretty good compromise in terms of time vs. quality. However, youtube videos, or steam trailers for that matter, are not ideal for video snaps. For one thing, they are too long and hence take up too much HDD space. More importantly, though, the rarely show the actual game play. What makes those video snaps for old consoles so great is that you can have a look at a single picture or a few seconds long video snap and you know exactly what that particular game is like (and whether you want to play it or not).  Youtube videos and Steam trailers often make a very looong intro with black screen, developer logos, game menus, animations etc., which IMO spoils the front end experience. 

Youtube Scraper would be much more functional IMO if you could crop a video by selecting the beginning and the end of extracted videos. This way one could both (1) select as short video as one wants (even, say, 10 seconds of actual gameplay would be enough), thereby saving HD space; and (2) select exactly what one wants to see in the video, like actual gameplay, rather than developer logos or game menus. Is there any plugin that allows this?

EDIT: I found an extension for Chrome, called Chrome Capture, that allows to select a part of the screen and save it as .gif; however, quality is not great, size is not standardized/optimised for youtube and it takes a while to download the file; also, it would need to be imported to LaunchBox;

EDIT2: Some online youtube video croppers seem better than extensions; odownloader is pretty simple and fast;

Edited by an531

I've had some luck by filtering the youtube search results for gameplay down to 2 minutes and under setting and then refreshing the search.  When it's that short, usually people are doing legit gameplay real quick.  Some trailer creators are getting better at jumping into it quicker and showing more gameplay. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...