LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem with TurboGrafx CD

Mizar

Hi guys, I have a problem with playing the japanese cd games (PC Engine CD) of TurboGrafx CD. I followed the video tutorial on youtube to how setup and running TurboGrafx 16 and CD games, and thats perfect, works like a charm, but i couldn't find any info on how to run the japanese ones. I did try to fiddle a bit, changing the bios with the japanese one on PCEjin but still won't work. Is there something i'm missing or is not possible to run those games? Thanks a lot in advance!

SentaiBrad said For others who may come across this thread, how did you fix it?
Sure :) It's not the best practical way, but it's working. -Download Ootake emulator and add it to LaunchBox. (On associated platforms, make sure to add TurboGrafx CD but not check the box, also no command line needed). -Open Ootake and load the japanese bios " Super CD-ROM2 System V3.00 (J)". -Open LaunchBox and import all the japanese PC Engine games you have. (This step, make sure you create a new category [ex. Nec PC Engine] because if you use the TurboGrafx CD and you have american games, will probably cause conflict). -Then download and install Daemon Tools(the lite free version works fine). -Now, open Daemon Tools and mount the .cue file of the game you want to play. -Now when launching the game from LaunchBox list will work no problem :) I hope its clear enough :) Its fiddly, but my objective of launching all of my games from LaunchBox was my goal. :)

I was just curious, but Japanese and American games being in the same System in LaunchBox makes no difference. So I am confused as to why you had to go through all that trouble. I just opened to Japanese games in RetroArch through LaunchBox. I think you're watching my tutorial, and I probably need to go back and update it to be honest, but I can confirm games are working regardless of region just fine.

SentaiBrad said I was just curious, but Japanese and American games being in the same System in LaunchBox makes no difference. So I am confused as to why you had to go through all that trouble. I just opened to Japanese games in RetroArch through LaunchBox. I think you're watching my tutorial, and I probably need to go back and update it to be honest, but I can confirm games are working regardless of region just fine.
Lol i wish my were working as the american ones, but for some reason they don't. I tried everything, the only work around was this :/ Maybe i'll try again if you make or update the tutorial for japanese games. -Edit. Hangon, did you said RetroArch? I was trying to run my japanese games with PCEjin. While the american works fine trought it, the japanese don't. I haven't tried the japanese through RetroArch to be honest.

I know, and that's part of the reason why I said I need to update the tutorial. I've since gotten them to work in RetroArc. A combination of bad rips (which there is a specific website that gives our horrible rips of any disc based system), and a combination of wrong BIOS. Some emulators are less picky, but I am wondering if that's the combination here.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm using Ootake with LaunchBox or BigBox as well. I could load PCE without problem but I'm having hard time playing CD-ROM games due to lack of knowledge..

When I click the CD-ROM game from LaunchBox, Ootake screen shows with main bios page(Super CD-ROM) but I don't know how to automatically load ISO image to 3rd party app such as Daemon Tools or MagicISO.

I believe that I would need to add custom command-line so that I could load CD-ROM and then run Super CD-ROM bios page simultaneously.

I only use Ootake for PC-Engine+CD-Rom since it runs Japanese games without any issues. Could any of you help on this? If I had to add command-line, please use Daemon tools as an example.

Thank you guys for awesome app and I'd continue to support LaunchBox!

7 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Is there a reason you have to not use Retroarch and the Mednafen PCE-Fast core for TurboGrafx and TurboGrafx CD games ?

It runs everything just fine and you don't have to go through the hassle of mounting disks.

Thank you for your comment. Well, to be honest, I haven't tried Retroarch+Mednafen and I will after your comments. But main reason I've used Ootake is because I read Japanese and I play old Japanese RPG games such as Tenshi no Uta or Tengai Makyo II and so far Ootake has been showing me really good performance. But, definitely I should learn how to use Retroarch and Mednafen. Could you kindly leave me a link of tutorial video for those? Once again, thank you so much for your comment.

So it took me some time to learn all about retroarch settings- particularly on awesome custome shaders !! I made my LCD 50" TV to look like old CRT with S-Video. Clear+Analog tone and noise and interlaces. It was really amazing experience. 

Well, to get to the point,

I was able to play most of games with PC/Engine/PCE-CD (Mednafen PCE FAST) and when it loads it seems to work great.

But, the problem is that my favorite games such as "Tenshi no Uta" and "Tenshi no Uta II" crashes with unexpected error message.

I have any other games run fine without any problem. I've found reddit article that someone brought up this issue and here's a link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3g89ys/pc_engine_cd_and_retroarch_how_to_get_it_to_work/

I have tried with 2 version:

1.cue+iso(track2)+wav

2. cue+iso rom

Both didn't work....

Yeah the one with the wav files will most definitely not work.

Generally you need cue + bin. I would suggest either trying to find a copy that is just cue + bin. One work around that could possibly work is to mount either of the disk images with Daemon Tools Lite (Virtual Clone Drive may work too) and try and re generate a new cue + bin using something like ImgBurn.

I have not tried doing this to fix TG CD games, but it has worked for Saturn games.

oh my god. Problem solved. I opened up .cue with notepad and found that file name and what's written there is different. I removed all "_ (underscore)" and that was the problem. Now everything works great. I'm so excited to run retroarch+launchbox with beautiful customization. Thank you again for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried ootake , didnt care for it much , way to much stuff setup in my eyes , ,I use Magic engine for roms and retroarch mednafen for Images  ....makes it a lot simpler and i  feel way  better compatibility , plus you can adjust the screen to Fullscreen and use shaders in both retroarch and magic engine to give a more updated look .

90% of my TG-16 collection is japanese imports so it will play fine in japanese .

And all of mine are CUE+BIN