LaunchBox Community Forums

What Kind of music do you listen?

nmc

10 minutes ago, nathanddrews said:

Is that what it's called? I'm pretty terrible at identifying genres.

There are a couple of related subgenres like Darkwave (more Cyberpunk inspired - this is stuff like Carpenter Brut, Perturbator, Dan Terminus, etc.) and Chillwave (stuff like Tycho and Lucy In Disguise) but Synthwave is kindof the larger umbrella genre under which they all fall.

Some good sources for finding this stuff are:

NewRetroWave's YouTube Channel
Synthwave Tag on Bandcamp
WeRuleNation's Youtube Channel

I've got a playlist that I put together and shared on here that I use in conjunction with the CityHunter theme that you might be interested in as well:

• Like 1

I've heard of Tycho and Carpenter Brut, but not some of those others. My path to Synthwave feels unusual. I was way into The Orb, Boards of Canada, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method in the 90s, then got into more Drum and Bass (Sub Focus, Evol Intent, Mayhem, Pendulum), then more melodic, bass-heavy stuff like Lusine, Bassnectar, Sasha, Cutler, but now I'm back to loving those soothing 80s synth chords. Well, at least as it comes down to electronica/techno.

That's not that unusual - there's a lot of cross-pollination between genres in the electronica sphere anyway. I ended up getting into it years ago thanks to some Synth Pop bands like Chvrches and iamamiwhoami and some rabbit-hole browsing habits. That led me to Bandcamp and digging through pages and pages of Synthwave albums. NewRetroWave's channel is actually a great starting point too since they post single songs from various Synthwave artists several times a day. It's a great introduction to a lot of bands that fall into the full range of Synthwave styles, from 80's dream pop like Timecop1983 to heavy stuff like Daniel Deluxe.

This was the first impressive song I heard that was way different from what I had been listening to.  BTW, this is over 40-years-old!  I first heard it in 1977.  Sorry, no flashy video - just music.  ;)

Shortly before 30sec the pace really starts pickin'-up.  Clarke himself is a Bass Player - here's his Website.  He really starts kickin'-in shortly after 3min (the entire track is several minutes long).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I love Joe Bonamassa. He tends to be a little boring to watch, but he's super talented.

I agree. He comes off a bit awkward, like whatching a super talented person with autism. But he's got some great music. I own his Royal Albert Hall Concert DVD and often turn it on just for background.

Wheres the real love? Wheres the Industrial guys hanging? This is bitpopmania and all things electronized :)

and for the WTF just happened I have this guy from Berlin on my list

I'm only Swe/Eng but tend to get most kicks out of german music.

Vaporwave is friggin' weird (but I kinda sorta like it).

"why does it go from super calm and nice to satanic and trappy?"

"idk"

"Oh my god this is way too chill I'm melting f***"

"Listening to it while high has twice the effect"

"This is what happens when you leave music in the microwave for too long."