LaunchBox Community Forums

What Kind of music do you listen?

nmc

Just now, Zombeaver said:

@dmjohn0x years ago in one of my college courses (Poli Sci major) we had to write a paper on one piece of music or film that we thought described American culture. I used Vicarious :P

Sounds like cheating since that is exactly what the song is about. Hell, half of that album is just a running commentary on America.

Well I got an A so it worked.

I was gonna go with Scarface but it was already taken.

Oh, no. It was a great choice, just so good It couldve been considered a "cheap" way out. But you cannot deny that it's a bleak take on modern society in America. Gratz on your A and for having good taste in music.

I've seen arguments saying that Right in Two is told from the perspective of Satan pre-dissent of humanity as a whole, which is cool to think about but I personally believe it is told from the perspective of a choir of Angels and their view of man in relation to God. Like a conversation amongst themselves on how men seem damned to war.

The funny thing was that the professor wanted to actually hear the songs or watch the movie that people chose (the class was fairly small), and he was this Albert Einstein lookin' dude with crazy white hair going everywhere, so having him listen to TOOL and seeing his reaction to it was pretty great. I'm fairly certain this guy went to Woodstock in his younger days though so he was pretty cool with it. He was one of the few genuinely great professors I had in my college years.

1 minute ago, dmjohn0x said:

I've seen arguments saying that Right in Two is told from the perspective of Satan pre-dissent of humanity as a whole, which is cool to think about but I personally believe it is told from the perspective of a choir of Angels and their view of man in relation to God. Like a conversation amongst themselves on how men seem damned to war.

Could be, although I think people tend to read a lot into TOOL lyrics, probably more than is actually necessary (and I say that as a huge TOOL fan).

Could be, although I think people tend to read a lot into TOOL lyrics, probably more than is actually necessary (and I say that as a huge TOOL fan).

Well Maynard doesnt exactly dissuade it, even revealing cryptic meanings behind some songs in the past. Both in Tool and APC. Many refer to Tool as "Intellectual Rock" but it's hard to justify that with songs about fist fucking, "prison sex", and "Hooker with a penis." Not to mention how album art and music videos often allude to the opening of a 3rd Eye or "minds eye" and trippy imagery of spiritual enlightenment.

Anyone down with Perturbator? Here's a small playlist of some 80s-esque artists I listen to that includes stuff by Perturbator, FM-84, Com Truise, Gunship, Timecop, Miami Nights, etc.

https://music.amazon.com/user-playlists/36ea6642836743e9880c59efa51aa2ccsune?ref=dm_sh_a7e6-5dc5-dmcp-b5e1-95cfa

I've thought about integrating some of these tracks into my Big Box attract mode.

Edited by nathanddrews

40 minutes ago, nathanddrews said:

Anyone down with Perturbator? Here's a small playlist of some 80s-esque artists I listen to:

https://music.amazon.com/user-playlists/36ea6642836743e9880c59efa51aa2ccsune?ref=dm_sh_a7e6-5dc5-dmcp-b5e1-95cfa

I've thought about integrating some of these tracks into my Big Box attract mode.

Just go back through the thread pages :)

Probably 80% of my posts in here are Synthwave haha

• Like 1