LaunchBox Community Forums

Mednafen Saturn Setup Tutorial

Lordmonkus

Yeah officially it doesn't support PAL but one night in chat with Zombeaver he mentioned the SRP and we messed with it with mixed results.

Examples being Keio Flying Squadron worked perfectly, while Discworld loads but at the screen where it says to "Press Start" the game doesn't recoginise that the button is being pressed so you can't go beyond that. Discworld II loads and plays but everything is pink.

Yeah the program is SRP 3.0 (Sega Saturn Region Patcher)

I've converted over Discworld, Frankenstein: Through The Eyes Of The Monster, Jewels of the Oracle, Keio Flying Squadron 2, and Z. Discworld is the only one that hasn't worked for me and according to monkus Discworld 2 has issues as well.

• Like 1

I actually got the idea to look into it because of Deep Fear. Deep Fear was never released in NA, but there was a prototype version that was discovered (and ripped) that was based on the PAL version. I noticed that it worked fine in Mednafen (despite the fact that Mednafen doesn't support PAL currently and that game was never officially released in NA, but the prototype is NA region coded).

My guess is the issues with Discworld 1 and 2 will present themselves to a larger audience once PAL is added in. I doubt them adding in PAL support will suddenly fix it or that region patching the roms is actually the cause of the problem.

It's very possible the PAL games are PAL optimized and may present issues on real hardware.

However I will tell you if you use a Japanese KOF 95 ISO with a PAL KOF 95 cart rom (just rename it per the instructions) it does work great! I think the PAL and Japanese release use the same cart though so it may not count.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having a bit of an issue with it. can't seem to get the game window to fill the 4:3 screen all the way. there's quite the gap at the bottom. I'm using a 1920x1080 monitor. also using Rocketlauncher for the bezel support. Now I know it's not RL causing the problem because it does this when i launch Mednafen all on it's too. Any suggestions?

20161003171849.png

A couple of things could be done to possibly to alleviate this.

One thing to look at first is are you using integer or non integer scaling in the video settings ? Integer will leave black borders at the top and bottom, especially on a 1080 screen.

Also take a look at setting a custom resolution to resize it to fit the screen better but this may cause issues in other games since not every game uses the same resolution.

Try setting your aspect ratio to 4:3 and integer scaling to off. This should get you full top to bottom screen fill unless the game ran at a weird vertical resolution. This will also have the possible side effect of ugly scanlines if you use a crt shader, some shaders do not work right with non integer scaling.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...