LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame BGFX Shaders - Tutorial

Lordmonkus

So switching to the standard Mame64 command line version fixes the issue; I simply set hlsl_enable to 1 and placed the custom raster file in the appropriate directory. This setup looks great, but I'm curious if there's any way to get it geometric, like in the crt-geom filter, or if I should just switch to the BGFX crt-geom filter instead? Thank you for your time!

You may want to try out GroovyMame and HLSL then.

You can learn more about it here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151459.0.html?PHPSESSID=9tmcng4q57rekvsems3qppg554

The download link itself is there but a little bit hidden5a8dc611a0a4e_2018-02-2114_17_56-GroovyMAME0.194-Switchresv0_017g.thumb.png.2630318b3ff0a4bbc58e3b8856569bf9.pngThen you can get my HLSL presets here:

Setting up GroovyMame is for the most part identical to normal Mame. Set your rom path and any option you may need like syncrefresh to get rid of screen tearing and your video driver to D3D. GroovyMame even has the added benefit of a frame delay setting which normal Mame doesn't have which helps with input lag. This is a setting 0-9 representing a percentage of delay, the higher the number though the more CPU power is required to drive, you will have to experiment to find the setting that works best for you.

Or you could even try out the new Retroarch 1.7.1 release which has D3D11 support, though I don't know if the Mame core supports it or not, I haven't tested it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 10:51 PM, noiseordinance said:

So switching to the standard Mame64 command line version fixes the issue; I simply set hlsl_enable to 1 and placed the custom raster file in the appropriate directory. This setup looks great, but I'm curious if there's any way to get it geometric, like in the crt-geom filter, or if I should just switch to the BGFX crt-geom filter instead? Thank you for your time!

I didn't see this question until now, but if you feel like messing around, try changing these options:

distortion                0.05
cubic_distortion          0.0
distort_corner            0.05
round_corner              0.10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I only just discovered you could do this with MAME. I applied the crt-geom also across my MAME64, MAMEUI64 and MAMEUIFX and it looks awesome! I went with crt-geom as well as that is what I was already using in RetroArch. So thank you very much for this tutorial as it has made things a lot more visually enjoyable. Now if I could only work out how to apply the Exodus CRT Overlay as a border I would be happier than a pig in mud.

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2016 at 3:28 PM, Lordmonkus said:

The one downside to BGFX for now is that you cannot easily save and load configuration files for these shaders. You can edit them while in game using the "tab" menu within Mame but you cannot save them out, once you close the game those changes are gone. Hopefully in the future this will change.

Isn't this a huge downside, and deal breaker? It seems that if I have to set up each game before playing, it just would not be worth it.

On a side note:
I am setting up all the bezels and tweaking the sizing to get the screens to fit perfectly within the bezels for my monitor/setup. I am having to  slightly stretch/shrink some of the X/Y aspect ratios to get the game window to fit perfectly within the bezel windows. I have a feeling this will come into play since it essentially changes the pixel layouts for the games. Does anyone have any experience on using bezels and how tweaking the X/Y aspect ratios affects to look of HLSL and this BGFX look of the scan lines? It seems that a lot of the bezels I have downloaded do not do a great job of preserving the exact aspect ratio of the games, and I am afraid it may affect the scan line effects of the MAME HSLSL and BGFX tools.

Edited by ItchyRobot

9 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

BGFX can be set in the MAME.ini now (and has been able to for some time) the post you are quoting is almost 2 years old

OK, thanks. Maybe the guide needs to be updated, or a side note about that added.

Do you have a preference over one or the other, HLSL/BGFX, now that both have evolved? I was about to dive into the scan line part of my collection once I get my bezels set and would rather start with the better of the two options.