LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

On 6/16/2017 at 2:35 AM, tallpr24 said:

are you using a xbox 360 wireless controller?,  if you launch mame and the controller is not on, mame doesn't see the controller and it resets the controller settings.  I tried reinstalling mame and different versions.

I was using Mame good few months back with four wireless xbox 360 pads for parties etc. The button configs would continually clear themselves at random times. Sometimes after a pad went to sleep or when Mame was re-started. This is also using Mame ui. I would have to re enter the buttons all back in via the tab menu in game on the fly when it happened. Occasionally it wouldn't recognise the pad at all, and Mame had to be completely re-started once again.

In the finish I moved to four wired Xbox one pads and the settings were solid then and never changed. I'm back on Mame now using a single Xbox one pad with zero issue.

Wired pads are a pain with wires trailing about I know but it seems to be the best option.

As the X 1 wired pad works better than wireless, a wired 360 pad I presume would give the same result. 

Edited by Silentnight

• 3 months later...

ok i have to download MAME again last time was 0.170 back then i got MAME 0.178 ROMs (Torrentzipped-split) and MAME 0.178 CHD's Split.

now i don't  see anything called CHD Split ? actually not 100% if the one i got is corrent

MAME 0.190 CHDs (merged)

MAME 0.190 ROMs (bios-devices)

MAME 0.190 ROMs (merged)

MAME 0.190 ROMs (non-merged)

MAME 0.190 ROMs (split)    :D(I GOT THIS)

MAME 0.190 Software List CHDs (merged)

MAME 0.190 Software List ROMs (machines-bios-devices)

MAME 0.190 Software List ROMs (merged)

MAME 0.190 Software List ROMs (split)

23 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

both the software list chd and chd packs only come merged on PD also if you get the full split set you don't need the bios device set as they are already in the full set.

Ok so MAME 0.190 CHDs (merged) would be the one i download with the Rom set. 

I'm  trying to add my rom path to the IN file. As explained by Monkeys. 

In my default IN out any changes it looks something like this. I wasn't sure if i put the path between or if the last "roms" is an example and can be deleted. 

rompath              roms 

Screenshot_20171006-122757.jpg

9 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Nice! Internet went down here so didn't see this until now.

Yah it works appreciate the help. I do have one question as i understand Mame is also considered the best emulator for a bunch of non arcade systems. I know there ones was a list posted (Nonmame) or something.  But those systems like that require extra steps? Bios and such .

edit found it http://nonmame.retrogames.com/

so lets say WonderSwan  does mame need anything extra for a system like that. what about save files i never really considered that for arcade systems but what about the other systems.

Edited by ALIE

yeah they require the bios for the systems which are already included in the full sets and they also require that you setup command line to name the system and the media type so for example Atari 5200 is a5200 -cart a5200 being the bios name and -cart is the media type

• Like 1

Just now, DOS76 said:

yeah they require the bios for the systems which are already included in the full sets and they also require that you setup command line to name the system and the media type so for example Atari 5200 is a5200 -cart a5200 being the bios name and -cart is the media type

ok bios shouldn't be a issue where are those placed?.

but the other part sounds a bit daunting .

On 6/10/2017 at 2:50 PM, DOS76 said:

they go in LB as associated platforms for your mame emulator under manage emulator no different then setting up new cores in RA just have to know the right syntax

Oh so nothing i need to do inside mame. 

I'm not sure on a source for the info but basically for most stuff its the name of the software list and the media type so as examples
Colecovision coleco -cart where in LB Colecovision is the Associated platform coleco is the software list name and -cart is the media type
Intelevision intv -cart

so if you have the software list games already just look at the name of the folder of the system you are interested in that is the 1st part of the command and then the -cart -flop -tape depending on the media type follows after it.

• 1 month later...

Hello all. First time posting, long time Launchbox user.

I recently switched to MAME ver.191 and updated my ROM set, however, something curious happens when I  try to run a game from Launchbox. The emulator opens, but acts as if it still had the old out dated ROMS, giving me a missing files error message. Keep in mind I can run the ROMS perfectly fine from the emulator itself, but for some reason it doesn't run from Launchbox.

I have checked the directory paths and they are correct, I have nothing else checked in the edit menu of the emulator, just the name and application path, so I'm out of ideas at the moment. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Maybe the new version of MAME needs additional command line parameters I'm unaware of? 

Ed