LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

Both are for the most part equal with minor differences but I prefer the stand alone personally.

If you do go the RA route though just keep in mind that if you upgrade the core to the newer versions make a backup of your previous core first. It's a real pain in the ass rolling back to a previous core because they don't keep regular archives of past versions.

Hey! We have lift off!

I have been able to load into a few games now so i am almost there.

I don't suppose I can ask you how to setup a wireless Xbox controller with MAME too?

It's the windows XBOX 1 controller using the official dongle, so it doesn't always register as an input in emus, looked in the tab menu for MAME and it wouldn't readmy button presses.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, WuTangDan said:

Hey! We have lift off!

I have been able to load into a few games now so i am almost there.

I don't suppose I can ask you how to setup a wireless Xbox controller with MAME too?

It's the windows XBOX 1 controller using the official dongle, so it doesn't always register as an input in emus, looked in the tab menu for MAME and it wouldn't readmy button presses.

Thank you!

Wireless xbox one controller works just fine, but you will need a keyboard to set it up at first. As you said hit tab/input general/player one, just use arrow keys and enter to select buttons then press the button on your controller.

Can confirm it works just fine, I was just being an idiot :P

Will need to look into how to configure the buttons in general though as its confusing.

Anyway off to bed now, thanks so much guys i really thought this was going to be a lot worse than this. Now i can start getting it looking how i want in bigbox :D 

Edited by WuTangDan

14 minutes ago, WuTangDan said:

Can confirm it works just fine, I was just being an idiot :P

Will need to look into how to configure the buttons in general though as its confusing.

Anyway off to bed now, thanks so much guys i really thought this was going to be a lot worse than this. Now i can start getting it looking how i want in bigbox :D 

No probs, any other questions just ask. :) 

11 hours ago, DOS76 said:

There's a method man to my madness

You know, I'm pretty new here. Long time fan of emulation, but never really kept up to date with any of the newer stuff. FInding the tutorial channel and learning more about retroarch/launchbox has been a revelation. That said, you made me laugh, and that is worth a slow clap and my first post lol. 

• Haha 1

I am wondering if i may borrow from the fountain of knowledge once more?

I got everything working last night with your help, which I am super happy about, but from the very limited testing I did before i fell asleep, it seemed that the CPS III ROMs were not loading through MAME.

I think this is a common issue, but i couldn't find a definitive answer online on how to fix this.

Any help would be much appreciated :) 

Many thanks!

p.s. if you have any tips on scraping the MAME ROMs i would also love to hear it, as quite a lot of them do not scrape any pictures or information at all from wiki/LB/emumovies, and going through all of them manually would be a mammoth task.

CPS III games require .chd's to play in MAME. CHD's are basically CD images as the CPS III was a relatively new system the games came on CD, so in order to play those you will need to track them down, bear in mind that they can be quite large files due to them being CD's. Pleasuredome has the full set of .CHD's but that is around 650GB in total, so that's up to you if you want the full set, I personally do have them, just so I can play the likes of Street Fighter 3 Third Strike.

As for the scraping that's just the way it is with arcade games, all the well known games should have artwork though, as long as you scraped the games as Arcade you will have everything that is currently available. If you want to remove games with no artwork you can use the audit feature. Just select Arcade on the left then Tools/Audit Arcade, then once the window loads you can sort by various ways, like Front images and such, it will put all the games missing images to the top of the list, you can then highlight all the ones you don't want, right click and hide or delete.