LaunchBox Community Forums

Crash N Burn for 3DO

DOS76

I was messing with some 3DO games today and I came across Crash N Burn I've found two different ROMs but both seem to only play a demo of Total Eclipse and every time you push any button it resets the demo and if you let it play it just restarts the demo yet there are YouTube videos of people playing the game and there is even a video  in LB but the game at least the two different versions I have don't do anything. Does anyone else have this game working for them.

• 11 months later...

I may have a negative bias towards the system but it really has very few games worth bothering with in my opinion. The top tier games on the system has ports that are equal or better on other systems like the PS1 and Saturn.

To me the best games would be:

Super Street fighter II Turbo
Samurai Shodown
Road Rash
Fifa
Star Control II

The only exclusive that is even remotely interesting would be Captain Quazar.

You can check out the GameSack video on the 3DO as well to get a bit of an overview.

12 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

I may have a negative bias towards the system but it really has very few games worth bothering with in my opinion. The top tier games on the system has ports that are equal or better on other systems like the PS1 and Saturn.

To me the best games would be:

Super Street fighter II Turbo
Samurai Shodown
Road Rash
Fifa
Star Control II

The only exclusive that is even remotely interesting would be Captain Quazar.

You can check out the GameSack video on the 3DO as well to get a bit of an overview.

Yeah I am starting to notice that as well. Just for the novelty of it and when I show off LaunchBox/BigBox at the Arcade Expo this year someone may be interested in playing it.

Just now, Omen said:

Thank you  @Zombeaver

No problem!

1 minute ago, Omen said:

idk why I could't find anything on it.

Probably because it's a 3DO game and not that many people care haha. There are a couple reports on github though. I can confirm that it works correctly in standalone though.

https://github.com/libretro/4do-libretro/issues/18
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/4093

OK, I got to come defend one of my favorite underdog systems the 3DO!  I got mine back in the day mainly because it had the only home port of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It also had, by far, the best home version of Samurai Showdown at the time (the SNES and Genesis versions are horrible). So being a somewhat serious fighting game player I picked one up but also quite enjoyed a number of games on the system. My recommended games:

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - Was the only port at the time, it's not the best port anymore (no "old" versions of the characters and missing a few frames of animation) but it has the best music of all the versions.

Samurai Showdown - It was the best port at the time and still a good one (I think it has trouble in emulation on 4DO, however).

Return Fire - My favorite game on the 3DO and made the system worth it for me. My brothers and I played the heck out of the multiplayer. One of my favorite multiplayer games of all time and also fun in single player when you want to just blow stuff up. There was a Playstation port but only the 3DO version has the awesome Maps O' Death expansion, which adds a ton more of awesome single and multiplayer maps (and works with 4DO standalone).

Road Rash - The best version of Road Rash ever, with good graphics, fast, fun gameplay, and awesome licensed music. Also got a ton of playtime by me back in the day. It got a port to the Playstation and Saturn but I still prefer the 3DO version.

The Need for Speed - Fun racing game. It got a port to the Playstation and Saturn but those versions are speed up, more "arcadey" while the original feels more like a sim.

The Horde - A fun, unique, action strategy game starring that kid from the TV show Growing Pains. You build up your village and defenses during the day and fight of "the horde" of goblins at night. I think it also got a PS and Saturn port (not sure).

Star Control 2 - Ahead of it's time space strategy game. Deep gameplay. Not sure if ever ported.

Bunch of FMV games - Mad Dog (I and II), Crime Patrol, Brain Dead 13, Dragon's Lair, Supreme Warrior (fun, cheesy, old time kung fu "fighting game") - Most of these were also on the Sega CD (which I also had at the time) but look a lot better on the 3DO.

John Madden Football - May seem somewhat dated today but was amazing and a giant step up from previous games at the time. Still fun to play, old school Madden.

Wolfenstein 3D - probably the best console port of Wolfenstein 3D (we won't talk about the Doom port......).

• 7 months later...