LaunchBox Community Forums

The Movie Topic

Charco

Hi all, just thought I'd make a topic about movies and see what people are watching right now.

Went to see Doctor Strange last week (we get Marvel movies a week earlier than the States in Ireland). I really enjoyed it, Benedict Cumberbatch looked like he was made for the role and the visual effects were mindblowing. Went to see it in 3D and would recommend it even though I am normally not a fan of it.

What was the last movie you watched?

The last movie I watched was Outrage (available on Netflix in the US); it's a yakuza thriller starring and directed by Beat Takeshi (of the infamously bad Takeshi's Challenge Famicom game) and it is INTENSE. No punches pulled when it needs to be violent, and a lot of very nuanced tension in even the quietest scenes. I highly recommend it!

Dr. Strange was awesome lot of cool looking psychedelic stuff happening in there. The last thing I saw at the movies before that was TMNT. I'm more of a TV binge watcher these days then a movie guy they can tell much more complex stories with greater character development in a 13 episode TV season then you could ever hope to have in a tow hour movie.

15 hours ago, FistyDollars said:

starring and directed by Beat Takeshi (of the infamously bad Takeshi's Challenge Famicom game)

Also the totally awesome Takeshi's Castle a.k.a. MXC. And of course a lot of other legitimately great stuff. I love Takeshi Katano so I'll have to check Outrage out. Have you ever seen his incarnation of Zatoichi? I love all the old Zatoichi films (even though they're kindof all the same movie) and really enjoyed Katano's interpretation. A lot of people of course associate him with Battle Royale, but I've always considered that one a bit overrated - not bad mind you, just not as amazing as some people make it out to be.

The last thing I watched was The Thing (1982) - it's my yearly Halloween ritual (and my favorite horror movie of all time).

I'm planning to go see Dr. Strange this week. I'm a big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch so I'm looking forward to it.

Indeed! They're apparently working on a reboot (or prequel?) to Escape from New York at the moment, although I don't think Snake's role has been filled in yet - originally it was going to be Gerard Butler but he's backed out and the most recent name that I've heard is Jeremy Renner. I don't think anything's final at this point though.

They're also remaking Big Trouble In Little China and apparently The Rock is playing Jack Burton... I actually like Dwayne Johnson but I'm not sure about this one. I guess we'll see. Then again, Big Trouble In Little China is cheesy and campy as crap, and Johnson tends to be great at that haha

I like the old Zatoichi movies too... I think I have seen them all.  

As for Big Trouble in Little China... enough with the remakes already... lol.  The appeal of movies like that is that they are completely unique to the 80's... the combination of culture, budget, recording style, etc will never be duplicated and the remakes just fail every time.  I love those movies because they are weird and unique to the time.

We saw Dr. Strange last week... I thought it was really good... one of the best Marvel movies, IMO.  Marvel Studios seems to be the only one that can get the comic book movies right.  The DC and Sony ones seem terrible to me by comparison.

Well, we didn't end up making it to the theater last week, so I still haven't seen it yet. I'd like to go see The Arrival as well. I'm a sucker for sci-fi :/

This weekend we watched Blood Father and 10 Cloverfield Lane.

I thought Blood Father was...pretty good. For a fairly straight-forward action/thriller flick it was decent but some of the writing was a bit questionable. There are a few times where Mel Gibson goes on grizzled-life-lesson tangents and it was kinda cringey. There are times where I found it a bit exposition-heavy as well. I liked seeing Mel Gibson back in the saddle though, and I hope we'll see him in more things in the future. I need to break out Payback again... haven't watched that one in a while. Love that movie!

10 Cloverfield Lane was actually great! I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was better than I anticipated. It has very little to do with the first movie (which I guess could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask; I actually liked Cloverfield quite a bit) and is actually more of a thriller. It has some really tense moments that are fostered by an excellent performance by John Goodman. It's the best I've seen him in quite a while. It also has these moments of dark humor that I think make the whole thing even more unsettling. It has a number of twists that I didn't see coming. I really really enjoyed it.

Just back from seeing Arrival. It's definitely worth checking out. Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner are both good and it was a new idea as regards an "alien invasion" movie. It does what any good sci fi movie should do and that's have you leaving the cinema thinking about a novel concept and making you want to watch it again. Recommended.

Just watched Don't Breathe, pretty good stuff. I had heard about it this summer but didn't get around to seeing it in the cinema. I agree with most of what Mark Kermode had to say about it below, although I thought it was a bit better than he did. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to watching Captain America: Civil War.  I liked it.  I pretty much like all the Marvel flicks.

Anyone planning on going to see Assassin's Creed next week?

I might watch Warcraft or Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice tonight, but as DOS76, I've been doing more 'series' binge-watching, as well.

Might be a long night as I gotta start prepin' for a colonoscopy tomorrow.  :/  Most of ya are probably way too young to be needing colonoscopies, but the 'prep' is 'crappy'.  I wish I woulda remembered to get some Depends.  :P

I'm supposed to get my cast off tomorrow, too.  :D

Edited by CadetStimpy
Punctuation