LaunchBox Community Forums

Open - ScummVM Media Scraping - Issue #342

illfated

Hey,

I imported the ScummVM 1.9.0 Set into Launchbox but it couldnt find most of the Media/Artwork.

the 1.9.0 Set (and the ones before) use the full game title seen here https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/

But the media scrapers I use and probably most other people too (HyperSync, Emumovies), use the short gameid for artwork instead of the full title.

example:

Broken Sword 1 The Shadow of the Templar (CD PS1).zip gets imported as "Broken Sword 1 The Shadow of the Templar"
The artwork I found would be called "sword1.png" because the gameid is "sword1".

Is there a tool that renames either the artwork to the full name or (probably easier) the "Roms" to the short name?

I replied to the original thread you replied to, so I'm just gonna copy and paste that response here:

Well that's new, a PS1 game in ScummVM? If it's using regular names now though, most of them are from DOS, so you can scrape your ScummVM platform as DOS, however that doesn't fix an apparent PS1 game? If it's using regular names now though, for everything, this makes Jason and I much much more excited and makes our job easier as there wont need to be any internalization. However, we don't have media for ScummVM because it's not a platform, it's an emulator. We're getting away from platforms based on arcade boards or emulators, and this wouldn't be much different. However, ScummVM doesn't get separated out like MAME can, and you can create as many custom platforms as you want with MAME Games, and just scrape them as properly. You can do this here, if you don't mind multiple ScummVM Categories. Put all DOS ScummVM games in a platform and scrape it as DOS, put all PS1 ScummVM games in a platform and scrape it as PS1. As a combined platform, that's a trickier thing to do.

Edit: Also no, here, most people don't use Hyperspin scrapers. Sure there are some people who do, and some people are converts who kept their media, but a bigger majority here doesn't use HS at all, and there are quite a few who do and just use our Database. Of course there's nothing wrong with using it if you want, but the Database is widely used here.

Well, it's a bit different than the Arcade platforms. We were debating on dropping it, but it's... more unique than Arcade. It's ironically a lot pickier in many ways, so it's debatable. With Arcade, you can create as many custom platforms, and then just scrape as Arcade, where ScummVM you would create a custom platform to scrape as one system, then create another custom platform to scrape as a completely different system. So... I don't know. I'd like to hear what @Jason Carr @Vlansix @CriticalCid and @lordmonkus think about it. With Arcade we can make an easily identifiable case, the MAME set can be split with software, or users can find specific sets out there then just scrape as, but with ScummVM it seems much much more confusing.

• 9 months later...
  • Vlansix changed the title to Open - ScummVM Media Scraping - Issue #342
  • 3 months later...

Yup, just register to be a contributor and upload your stuff, it will be moderated by a team of moderators specific to the database. Unfortunately right now you have to make a separate account for that, @Jason Carr did mention something about tying the accounts together into a single sign-up / login but I am not sure if that ever happened or when it will if it hasn't been done.

https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/account/signin?returnurl=%2fgames%2fadd

There is also a plugin that @UnderwoodNC created to upload it from your Launchbox if you have the information already added into your setup. Looking at the comments for the plugin it seems there may be some issues with it so use it at your own risk, uploading manually could be more reliable. I personally stay away from all the database stuff, I leave it to others who are more qualified and interested in that sort of stuff.

yes.. that's the program I have aissues with.. I keep getting messages that there were errors adding to the DB (althougfh I have to admit that it has been months since I last tried that)

with 2.0 alot have games been added... it's quite diverse, as you can see.

• Cranston Manor
  • Full Pipe
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Gabriel Knight 2
  • King's Quest VII
  • King's Questions
  • Leisure Suit Larry 6 (hi-res)
  • Leisure Suit Larry 7
  • Lighthouse
  • Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe
  • Phantasmagoria
  • Phantasmagoria 2