LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

On 07/01/2017 at 8:41 PM, zetec-s-joe said:

I'm sitting at just under 20k games, every single one is in 7z and gets unzipped to my Solid State C drive automatically upon playing (RocketLauncher)

I am so anal about artwork so dont have hardly anything added to my Big Box setup.

Aiming for every HyperList set Complete just for OCD reasons lol

Okay, after a little bit of work I'm now at 32,650 games, this is spanned over 84 complete HyperList sets

11 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

Okay, after a little bit of work I'm now at 32,650 games, this is spanned over 84 complete HyperList sets

Hmmm I just imported several thousand C64 game s(what a multi-disk mess...they didn't combine for the most part, ugh) and I'm now at 26,250 games....wonder what else I'm missing?...I know I still need to do colecovision, atari 5200 and stuff like Game&Watch...Got like 1800 Amiga/AmigaCD games in total, 560 PS2 games, 1544 PS1 games...616 GC games, but only like 66 WII games...etc...

Would you be willing to take a screenshot of your PLATFORMS settings window in Launchbox, widened to see the roms per category in your collection Zetec-s-joe?

Thanks!

- Brett

Edited by cleverest
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cleverest said:

Hmmm I just imported several thousand C64 game s(what a multi-disk mess...they didn't combine for the most part, ugh) and I'm now at 26,250 games....wonder what else I'm missing?...I know I still need to do colecovision, atari 5200 and stuff like Game&Watch...Got like 1800 Amiga/AmigaCD games in total, 560 PS2 games, 1700 PS1 games...616 GC games, but only like 66 WII games...etc...

Would you be willing to take a screenshot of your PLATFORMS settings window in Launchbox, widened to see the roms per category in your collection Zetec-s-joe?

Thanks!

- Brett

Nice collection you have there too!

I'm going to be honest, I have hardly any of my sets imported atm, barely any. Got into the scene about August '16 and am filling my 5TB atm (Will need to go bigger!)

I still have C64 to add, I swear its like 8k games!
New_Text_Document.jpg

Every folder on this drive is COMPLETE set other than PS2, PS1, Wii, Wii U. My drive also does not included MAME yet :o

I know I have cheated :P I just want to get things perfect before importing all to LB

Edited by zetec-s-joe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zetec-s-joe said:

Nice collection you have there too!

I'm going to be honest, I have hardly any of my sets imported atm, barely any. Got into the scene about August '16 and am filling my 5TB atm (Will need to go bigger!)

I still have C64 to add, I swear its like 8k games!
New_Text_Document.jpg

Every folder on this drive is COMPLETE set other than PS2, PS1, Wii, Wii U. My drive also does not included MAME yet :o

I know I have cheated :P I just want to get things perfect before importing all to LB

Very cool...hey, would you be willing to click TOOLS up top in launchbox and click MANAGE PLATFORMS, then wide/enlarge that window and share a screenshot of that?  Shows a game count on the right side :-D

I've attached mine?

I have a 8TB drive prepared for this collection, but haven't been able to fill it yet...:-) I think I'm just over/around 5TB at this point...but I compress everything in a format that doesn't require a long decompress to play when available...GCZ for gamecube (realtime loading)....wbfs for WII (realtime loading), GZ for PS2 (realtime after FIRST load, creates a small temp file per game, in the MB in size), CSO for PSP (realtime loading)...really trying to max out the possible space I can use...

Fun doing this!

platforms_lb_011217.JPG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cleverest said:

Very cool...hey, would you be willing to click TOOLS up top in launchbox and click MANAGE PLATFORMS, then wide/enlarge that window and share a screenshot of that?  Shows a game count on the right side :-D

I've attached mine?

I have a 8TB drive prepared for this collection, but haven't been able to fill it yet...:-) I think I'm just over/around 5TB at this point...but I compress everything in a format that doesn't require a long decompress to play when available...GCZ for gamecube (realtime loading)....wbfs for WII (realtime loading), GZ for PS2 (realtime after FIRST load, creates a small temp file per game, in the MB in size), CSO for PSP (realtime loading)...really trying to max out the possible space I can use...

Fun doing this!

platforms_lb_011217.JPG

I have all RAW files in 7z format atm, but am thinking about the PS2, GC, PSP compressions when collection expands.

I can't take a screenshot as I hardly have anything in there ATM :( I will do down the road once added some of the collection in.

24 minutes ago, zetec-s-joe said:

I have all RAW files in 7z format atm, but am thinking about the PS2, GC, PSP compressions when collection expands.

I can't take a screenshot as I hardly have anything in there ATM :( I will do down the road once added some of the collection in.

Awesome, would love to see what you end up with...maybe we could collaborate, share knowledge on what we are missing, etc  :-)

Edited by cleverest
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

tcm is new to me, I'll need to check that out. To be honest, the reason I primarily used that software was because I have a hacked Wii (and vWii), so they were like that for the consoles benefit. If you're just using Dolphin though, the other two methods should be fine.

Yeah, that makes sence, For anyone just using Dolphin though, from what I remember, the .tcm is a massive saving. I used to think the only way was original files, but im coming round on the idea of compressing if theres no difference when playing

Cool....GCZ is realtime too....but do you have a link to the TCM download/instructions; can't seem to find it..I want to see if I can convert and test the compression ratio difference (I believe I can revert gcz back to uncompressed too) - thanks.

Edited by cleverest

Okay, I got it wrong, it's GCM, work for both GameCube and Wii clean ISOs, it doesn't remove anything just compresses them magically and should still work on modded Wiis etc and the new title of converted games comes out as

Super Mario Galaxy (USA).dec.iso 

To reverse just run through the easy to use program again, you can add a whole folder or drag and from to batch convert

All credit goes to the creator who is known as LedZepperlin68? If any of the creators etc want this down I will delete the post.

Let me know your results please comparing. It's meant to be the new best way for Wii and GC

NASOSbeta2.rar

Ah yea, GCM, this I know. Here is some info about all of this, and it might help clear up a bit of confusion.

Some examples:

• Super Mario Anniversary (Wii): 4.7 GB (original) > 12 MB (GCZ) (!!)
  • Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii): 7.8 GB (original) > 7.1 GB (GCZ) (main cause is FMV's low compression)
  • Xenoblade PAL (Wii): 7.8 GB (original) > 6.3 GB (GCZ)
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii): 4.7 GB (original) > 1.8 GB (GCZ)
  • Tales of Graces (Wii): 4.7 GB (original) > 4.2 GB (GCZ) (game data already fills the disk)
  • Animal Crossing (GC): 1.4 GB (original) > 26 MB (GCZ)
  • Zelda Four Swords Plus Japan (GC): 1.4 GB (original) > 480 MB (GCZ)
  • Zelda Twilight Princess (GC): 1.4 GB (original) > 1.4 GB (GCZ) (game data already fills the disk)
  • Megaman Collection (GC): 1.4 GB (original) > 1.1 GB (original) (sound data is stored as uncompressed stream to fill disk)

Dolphin can't play game dumps off compressed archives (7zip/zip/gzip/rar...) directly.

People used to resort to WiiScrubber (Wii) and GCM Utility (GC) to scrub/trim games to end up with dumps that while they had no immediate size change, their randomized garbage data (like "dummy", "padding" or "znull") was still there but zeroed out making archived dumps using zip/7zip/rar formats have stunning gains (from 1.4GB uncompressed to 26MB zipped for Animal Crossing for example!). Of course the file still needed to be uncompressed to its full size everytime you wanted to play it.

NOTE: Trimming and scrubbing (in Wiiscrubber terms) aren't the same! While they both are terms for "zeroing garbage data" to make it more compression-friendly, trimming does not just that like scrubbing, but takes the extra step of relocating the garbage data to the end of the file, hence altering its TOC and requiring the disc to be fakesigned, for a not-so-big compression gain. Hence why scrubbing is by far the most authentic and safe way to solve the garbage data problem.

However compressed formats incorporating the "padding zeroing" part were made since then, and Dolphin supports them! (Of course, if you're into modding/rom-hacking games, the previous tools might be of interest to you, but this is a story for another time...)

GCZ (Dolphin native archive format) - GC/Wii

• Archive-quality dump? Yes for GC games, No for Wii games (doesn't keep MD5 hash)
  • Gain: Immediate (ISO dump size lowers). Considerable, depending on game.
  • Tools Used: Dolphin emulator
    You need to add the games in your game list under Dolphin (Configuration/Paths).

Select game in game list (you can hold Shift and select multiple ones).
Right-click and choose "Compress selected ISOs". Choose a directory.
It saves a compressed GCZ copy. You might want to delete the original uncompressed ISO.

• Can be reverted? Yes. You can right-click on the GCZ-compressed (in blue) ISOs in Dolphin and choose "Uncompress selected ISOs". Garbage data is still there but zeroed out, which has no effect since it's randomized anyways.
  • Playable on Hardware? No
  • Playable on Emulators? Only Dolphin.

• Like 1