LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

I uncompressed this GameCube game from .GSZ format and re-compressed it with that tool you attached Zetec, and this is the result.

(uncompressed) Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Chaos Bleeds (USA).gcm 1.35 GB (1,459,978,240 bytes)

GCZ compressed Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Chaos Bleeds (USA).gcz  1.12 GB (1,209,656,207 bytes)

DEC (Gsm?) Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Chaos Bleeds (USA).gcm.dec 1.25 GB (1,348,354,048 bytes)

---

Looks like GCZ was the clear winner, at least in this example....about to try a very large (Wii) game I haven't been able to compress to WBFS (because it splits it into more than one file...) so I leave it as an ISO...we'll see what that does...

Edited by cleverest

LOL the WII game was worse....

Original ISO:  Xenoblade Chronicles [Wii][PAL][Scrubbed]-TLS.iso 7.92 GB (8,511,160,320 bytes)

GCM/ISO  Xenoblade Chronicles [Wii][PAL][Scrubbed]-TLS.iso.DEC  7.95 GB (8,543,785,984 bytes)

Actually larger than the regular ISO....

Conclusion;  I'm sticking with .GCZ!

Thanks anyways!

Yea, this is the info I went off on, along with personal experience, when I made the tutorial. I made it with the stuff that I did to achieve the results that I have without ever using an archive. I wanted to make sure it was reversible (in every bu 1 situation it is), and that it didn't destroy the game data.

3 hours ago, cleverest said:

I'm a bit confused, in DOLPHIN it allows me to right click my existing already compressed (GCZ) games and choose DECOMPRESS ISO / SAVE decompressed GCM/ISO

I'm gonna use that tool Zetec and let you know what it does...

I'm sure it is a new format, it's very recent and seperate to dolphin, the file extensions end up as Super Mario Galaxy.dec.iso

9 hours ago, drtechnolust said:

Compressing the GC games with Dolphin is taking an incredibly long time... I have about 600 more games to compress. Is there any magic trick or sorcery to speed this process up?

2017-01-15_23-34-26.png

Not really, like Sentai said above...a faster CPU.....don't run other stuff while doing it...it's worth letting sit overnight....the space for 600 games is considerable....I let mine sit for hours and slept, went to work, etc..I have over 620 GC games, buy YAY now I get to add more stuff, lol....

8 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

I'm sure it is a new format, it's very recent and seperate to dolphin, the file extensions end up as Super Mario Galaxy.dec.iso

Actually they ended up being iso.DEC in my case

And larger than GCZ, so I guess I'll stick with GCZ... :-\

Edited by cleverest
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cleverest said:

Actually they ended up being iso.DEC in my case

And larger than GCZ, so I guess I'll stick with GCZ... :-\

I've just caught up on the other posts I missed in this thread. Thanks for the info, was worth a try, the ROMShepherd Forum guys swear by it lol

My whole collection of Isos are untouched inside 7z, I was just thinking of options 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, XC-3730C said:

What PC specs are recommended for running all of this? I live Raspberry Pi 3 and Attract Mode, as well as Hyperspin, but time for something like LaunchBox.

I mean, technically there is a dos build, but I'd probably reccomend a win7 capable machine at minimum. From there it really depends on what you want to emulate.

I made a budget build PC from ebay that seems to be capable of most everything out there including some Cemu games for under 250. So you can probably do something similar if you are here in the  states.

Got an old T3500 with a xeon w3520 (underpowered 6core) in it and 12gb RAM for $35. Then I got an x5677 (Higher Binned quad core xeon with hyperthreading) @ 3.8ghz turbo Xeon for $35. Swapped cpus then picked up a used GTX 1060 3GB for $180. Then I found a 3gb WD Greed HD for $12 usd. And This system is my new htpc. with the added benefit of being able to play pretty much all current gen titles.

But I can tell you now, I had this running on an e8400 system with 4gb RAM and a gtx 680 and it was fine. Ultimately, I think any win7 machine will run it but you'll want some horsepower for dolphin/PCSX2/Cemu.

Dreamcast wont take much. Dolphin is pretty optimized anymore too. PCSX2 would at minimum need a strong dual-core at near 4ghz. I'd reccomend a gen 2 i5 or better. For Cemu, That emu is still in developement, but basically, as it isnt optimized, you can get too much power for it. I find it playable on a Xeon x5677, but thats a server grade i7 quad, probably close to an i7 2600. So about there is probably minimum. And no less than a gtx 1050 for cemu.