LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

On 4/19/2018 at 3:28 PM, Dane said:

Hello, out of the approximate 51k there’d be about 100 gaming magazines but all the rest are games. I have broken quite a few of my systems up into regions and only imported the Japanese exclusives. I actually have seperate categories for translations for the Game Gear, NES, SNES and Mega Drive where I’ve made my own custom main menu clear logos. I like to try and get rid of duplicates, demos and betas too. Though for various systems I have seperate categories for hacks and homebrews like the Atari 2600 for example where I’ve got over 2k games. I have a Sonic the Hedgehog hacks category for the Mega Drive with about 180 games, I find those fun. I’m starting to add all the old pain in the arse computers now which will be frustrating but fun too. Your collection sounds like it’d be very organised and tidy, which I really dig.

Awesome work. This is something that the database could benefit from. Lists of regional exclusives. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

Awesome work. This is something that the database could benefit from. Lists of regional exclusives. 

Thanks, yes it would be good to be able to split stuff up via some official list housed in the database. Although there are sites and forums out there which one can discover lists of exclusive titles for various titles sometimes you do have to dig a little which can be time consuming.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cleverest said:

Cool. JBOD or RAIDED?  Or do you run x3 different instances of LaunchBox?

Nup one instance of launchbox and the three 10tb are just plugged into the mobo and all games extracted. I then have five 4tb with the games zipped and turned off for a backup.

• Thanks 1

Last I checked, I had something in the ballpark of about a TB or so, but I mostly stick to ACTUAL game consoles (NES, SNES, N64, Sega--MS, MG, CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast--PS1/2, Gamecube, just to name a few). Yeah, I did get a whole collection of Commodore 64 games and a bunch of crap on MS-DOS but that's not important. I mostly don't bother with the really obscure/outdated stuff nobody's ever owned, played, or heard of: Casio Loopy, Apple Pippin, outdated computer systems (Amiga, Acorn, Atari ST/800, that type of thing), Action MAX, and I kinda feel like if you have MAME (which I was under the impression had a very wide and very deep pool of arcade emulation power, if not universal arcade emulation or the closest to it), then having extra arcade things would just feel redundant, right? I'd love to know how to expand my library, but storage capacity is a major factor. There's gonna be people telling me to move LB into my Dropbox (which I did), and as an extra precaution I'm even upgrading to the bottomless storage of DB Business Advanced. Anything somebody can recommend to expand my roster (without resorting to loading down my program with a bunch of obsolete computer systems or obscure nonsense)?

Sidebar: on a somewhat unrelated note, what can people recommend for me on these systems (assuming, if I can't get a full library, I MUST have these); they are as follows: Microsoft Xbox (that's Xbox OG, Xbox Classic; not to be confused with the Xbone or 360), Sony PlayStation 2, Sony Playstation Portable (or PSP for short), Nintendo Gamecube and/or Wii, 3DO Interactive Multiplayer (or just 3DO, if you prefer), and Atari Jaguar CD. I would add the Nintendo DS, but that's just going to be time-consuming and require sifting through a lot of shovelware titles (difficult, very frustrating, but not unyielding).

Yeah, the storage space is the struggle. I got about 10TB for games. RAID for now, though now that I have unlimited cloud backup for 5$/month (Backblaze), I might get rid of RAID just because I can :) OTOH as I

1) buy everything from cloud these days (GOG, Steam) there's no real reason to have them locally once I'm done playing and

2) my retro collection is more or less completed and

3) I'm not moving to next gen/dvd-era up until something magical happens in storage prices

the storage requirements are not increasing too much anymore.

To get the retro stuff to fit in as small space as possible, everything's 7z'd.  This has required some annoying scripting to create bat files in order to, when clicking the game in LB, unpack the 7z and then mount the image with daemon tools before the game is launched. LB has the "run this command before running the game"-feature, but in the example you need multiple commands to be ran in sequence before launching the game, which it's not capable of. If I had unlimited space, would love to get rid of this annoyance.

3 hours ago, viritys said:

Yeah, the storage space is the struggle. I got about 10TB for games. RAID for now, though now that I have unlimited cloud backup for 5$/month (Backblaze)

Is your RAID storage in a NAS or local PC? Took a look at Backblaze, but they don't seem to do NAS at the price point you mention - you have to move up to a business deal which is much more expensive.

• Like 1

$5 a month?!?! I tried to look up Backblaze and it seems to have a huge every amount of hatred and backlash behind it. I’ve been using Dropbox to move files and that’s about $12 for Unlimited Storage. 

Also, by “DVD-Era” do you mean stuff like PS2 and junk? Cuz I know how much of a pain in the ass PS2 storage is; that’s like 4-8 gb PER GAME!!! 

I don’t know EXACTLY off the top of my head, but I remember my total broke (or close to breaking) 13k, maybe around 15k with NDS stuff. I hope eventually Retroarch has PS2 compatibility, unless they’ve already got that cuz PCSX2 has no backwards compatibility like the REAL PS2 did and it’s a pain in the ass to figure out. 

4 hours ago, DOS76 said:

why does PCSX2 need backwards compatibility when there is perfectly good PS1 emulators?

Let’s see: A) cuts down on disk space by combining both emulators into one; that’s why it’s easier for people to use Retroarch rather than downloading 20 different emulators. B) it simplifies things by having something that can play both PlayStation 1 & 2 games, since they function mostly off the same hardware and clears any redundancies. C) it feels more authentic and allows you to only need to bother with 1 emulator rather than toying around with 2 equally difficult programs. D) why are you asking that like it’s weird that people would a more streamlined experience and a simplified program? It’s not like we’re talking about constructing a PlayStation 4 that plays Xbox OG, 360, One and Wii-U all at once here. 

• Like 1

PCSX2 does have some support for PS1 games, it just needs a lot more work done on it, https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-to-play-PS1-games-in-PCSX2

Just because PCSX2 emulates the PS2 that doesn't mean it should automatically support PS1 unless it becomes a cycle accurate emulator which it is a very far ways away from.

Also if there was a Retroarch core to do PS2 that doesn't mean it will save you much drive space. The core itself will take space, compare the Mame core to the stand alone, the core is nearly 300 megs where a freshly extraced stand alone Mame is 389 megs. Yes, there is a slight difference but the 100 megs is minimal when many 99% of all PS1 games are way more than 100 megs.

I would love to see a good RA core for PS2 emulation but until someone does it there is no point in worrying about it. The RA devs have said they have no intention of porting PCSX2 to a RA core because of its plugin nature. That isn't to say it won't ever happen, just don't expect it any time soon unless someone with the skill set is willing to do it.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, Dan said:

Is your RAID storage in a NAS or local PC? Took a look at Backblaze, but they don't seem to do NAS at the price point you mention - you have to move up to a business deal which is much more expensive.

Buffalo DriveStation (connected with USB), so that's covered. When I have something backup-worthy on my NAS, I need to back them up to my local HD or that Buffalo first.

On 6/7/2018 at 5:20 AM, Bl00dsh1n3 said:

$5 a month?!?! I tried to look up Backblaze and it seems to have a huge every amount of hatred and backlash behind it. I’ve been using Dropbox to move files and that’s about $12 for Unlimited Storage. 

Also, by “DVD-Era” do you mean stuff like PS2 and junk? Cuz I know how much of a pain in the ass PS2 storage is; that’s like 4-8 gb PER GAME!!! 

Yeah, for $5, I'm sure something sucks :) I'm not expecting everything to break simultaneously, but should that happen, restoring everything from the service would either suck OR cost plenty of money, As long as you're dealing with single HD breaking down, downloading the stuff is convenient enough; I tested it once and it worked just fine. If you found some specific evil they are doing that I didn't just cover, I'm definitely interested.

DVD-era: Exactly what you said. From 6th gen, Dreamcast and Gamecube are completely doable, PS2 and Xbox are not. 

Edited by viritys
no need for two posts
  • Like 1

"Cuz I know how much of a pain in the ass PS2 storage is; that’s like 4-8 gb PER GAME!!!  "

Just want to point out that a lot of PS2 games run anywhere from 15MB (yes MB, EX: Retro Classics - 8 Arcade Classics from Yesteryears (Europe) ), to 7.3GB (XenoSaga Episode 1) , but I use real-time .GZ compression for my PS2 games, setting 9 to achieve this, with many PS2 games, in the 300MB to 3GB range..it makes it much eaiser to store on the cloud if you wanted to (not to mention a drive) and with .GZ I don't sacrifice any speed once the game launches at least one time in my collection, it stays compressed and it's in real-time.

My Nintendo GC cames run 338MB to 1.4GB, so it's not that much of a difference, depending on the game we are talking about..

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2018 at 3:39 AM, cleverest said:

Curious HOW you guys are storing your collections...I just use an 8TB Seagate USB external drive, but now I'm starting to struggle with space now with my 46k collection (I also have 7k more TotalDos games, but they are a mess and I'm going through deleting what I already have on their from eXoDOS collection, but it's a slow process...

1x HD WD 2TB for 1657 games and 26 system. I will buy hard drive 4 or 8 TB

22000 games. I expect that to rise to about 23000 because I'm importing an assload of Wii and PS2 games. 90 systems but I'm thinking of getting rid of Bally Astrocade, Magnavox Oddyssey 2, Tigergame.com, Wateroo Supervision, Casio PV-1000 and Epoch Cassette Vision because I think they are useless systems and they start to piss me off whenever I see them in my platforms list lol.

Edited by JamesBond@ge

On 4/20/2018 at 9:53 AM, Dan said:

It would be pretty handy for there to be a feature in LB which lists ALL of the possible systems and perhaps the number of available games for those systems. I don't think that the LB Games Database does this?

You never did say how many games are in your collection Dan? Just nitpicking LaunchBox again as usual.

NUMBERS MEAN LITTLE TO ME. MY FLASH GAMES COLLECTION ALONE NUMBERS 350,000. I WOULD HAVE TO CITE GRAHAM'S NUMBER TO BEGIN TO APPROACH ANY CONCEPTUALISATION OF THE ENORMITY OF MY COLLECTION. Back at the ranch - I'm migrating from HS to LB so not actually sure how many games are in my collection, but should know soon. Though there are 350,000 flash games. Thanks Romfrosk.

"Numbers mean little to you"

Yet your first post in this thread was about how LaunchBox should tell you the number of ALL possible systems available and 'perhaps' how many games available for each system.....blah blah. Yeah. You tried that once with your stoopid PDF, and failed at Big Fish. I guess your shoehorning of the word "conceptualisation" in your post is to fool us into thinking you're smart. Too many Flash Games will rot your brain, bro.

Edited by JamesBond@ge