LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox volume control issue

IronSnowman

I've mapped 2 buttons on my control panel using winIPAC to VOL up and down.  Works perfect in windows explorer.  I've also mapped the buttons to VOL up and down in BigBox.  When I hit either volume button BigBox freezes and continues to apply whichever volume button I hit for 30 seconds, then it proceeds to raise and lower the volume while not allowing me to do anything other than ctrl+alt+del.  Everything else works great, but the volume control in BigBox is the last piece of the puzzle before actually start to build the arcade cab.  

I had a similar issue with BB totally freezing until I enabled the BB setting to use all controllers. Just a long shot, but maybe give it a try? For me BB totally freezes simply by enabling my second controller or at launch time if both controllers are enabled, if I don't set the setting to use all controllers. So, it's different than your issue, but related to controllers and BB freezing...

On 1/13/2017 at 9:03 PM, ckp said:

I had a similar issue with BB totally freezing until I enabled the BB setting to use all controllers. Just a long shot, but maybe give it a try? For me BB totally freezes simply by enabling my second controller or at launch time if both controllers are enabled, if I don't set the setting to use all controllers. So, it's different than your issue, but related to controllers and BB freezing...

I did a bit of a 180 and disabled all controllers in BB. The only commands it responds to are that from the keyboard.  Even the mouse and trackball are disabled when in BB.  Volume is working now.  

• 4 months later...

Ok I have exact same issue as described above. Only enabling all or disabling all controllers didn't do it for me. The problem is only in BigBox. Not in Launchbox. It also only happens in the menus interface. If I am in a game both volume buttons work fine. If I am in a menu screen within Bigbox and hit either the volume up or down buttons Bigbox will freeze. This happens if I hit the keyboard volume or control panel volume. I am also up to date on the latest release.

• 2 years later...

Just updated luanch box and installed ipac 2 and know freezing occurs when using volume buttons.

I have unplugged the iPac2 and the problem persists with the keyboard. Tried to reinstall settings but no change.  Is use big box as a my music front end this is a bummer.

• 5 months later...
59 minutes ago, yorketto said:

I have the same incredible problem that something as simple as the volume turns into a tragedy !! when I set any key from my controller to bigbox to raise and lower the volume nothing happens. not even with the keyboard. bahh

It might seem simple, but there can be many things that cause issues and trying to track down the cause is not always simple. We have seen a couple users post issues with volume controls not working in LB/BB or with some emulators. A couple fo those fixed their issue. 

Here is a prime example and turned out it was a setting in RA that needed changing. A few other users it turned out they had multiple commands bound to the same button/key. 

Some troubleshooting might be in order. 

• 4 weeks later...

I also have this problem now. It worked perfect, didn't change anything, now if I press a volume button BB crashes only in tnhe BB menu @Jason Carr @Retro808

In the video you see me using the volume buttons in youtube, a mame game and BB menu.

watch the volumebar in the top left corner when I change the volume in the menu it goes crazy

Edited by SpuRge

I just found the problem why BB is crashing when I use a volume button.

At first I had a problem with the volume buttons working in the Big Box menu but when I launched any game they stopped working.

I did not understand why they did not work in a game because they were mapped correctly in BB.

I use the Ipac Ultimate and had the letters M and N mapped for volume control, but like I said they did not work in game, only in BB menu.

I tried to map the volume to other keys but still nothing worked in a game.

I opend WinIpac and found something I didn't knew before........you can map your button as Vol Up and Vol Down in WinIpac!!!!

So stupid I did not see that before.

Now everything worked perfect in BB and in all my games. You even don't need to set the key bindings in Big Box. 

Untill yesterday

I was adding some Key bindings in Big Box and I saw the Increase and Decrease volume keys were blanc, so I added them again.

Today I noticed those crashes when pressing the volume buttons and after a bit of searching I clearded the volume bindings in Big Box and everything worked normal again.

So the problem is when u have your keys programed in WinIpac as volume keys DON'T set them as volume keys in Big Box!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SpuRge

• 2 months later...