LaunchBox Community Forums

ClassicMini

Grila

ClassicMini

View File

ClassicMini.jpg

ClassicMini is a lightweight theme inspired by the NES (and Famicom) Classic Edition that was recently released. It doesn't feature all the flashy videos that seem to be the rage nowadays, but it's simplistic pixel design will take you back to the days of yesteryear. 

• 16:9 aspect ratio is suggested, I haven't had time to test at any others so don't complain if it doesn't look right.
  • Working game ratings if you have them set in LaunchBox

ClassicMini Changelog:

v1.2.1 (01/23/2017):
- Changed the font to a normal sans-serif (Segoe UI family) to help with overall aesthetics and readability
- Added filter/platform details to the text filter/platform view

v1.2 (01/21/2017):
- Changed the binding of the cover images to use the transition presenter instead of calling them directly

v1.1.1 (01/19/2017):
- Added a missing opacity mask for the text platform and text game view

v1.1 (01/19/2017):
- Added a Famicom styled theme. I had to make it a seperate theme because of the way BigBox shares some of its views.
- Re-named the NES version of ClassicMini to ClassicMiniNes to reflect the addition of the ClassicMiniFamicom theme
- Added Famicom skin images
- Skinned the platform text view, system menu, and options menu
- Minor changes to various image files

v1.0 (01/16/2017):
- Initial release

Screenshots:

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png8.png

• Like 13

Nicely done theme, Grila.

I'm browsing through the code right now to see if there's anything i can steal :D. I really liked the way you used opacity-masks for wheel and video. Just as a test i modified the masks with opacity gradients to see what could be done with the function. This opens up so many posibilities.

Edited by Jegeroel
  • Like 1

Nice job recreating the Nes classic, this them would be nice on a media center pc or if small pc. But I have a problem that for some reason in the platform view, the year gets cut off like you see in the screenshot. BTW, I uploaded the music that you hear in the background when you in the Nes Classic menu and thing i would like to see in this theme is the name of the platform on the lower left hand corner like it is on the nes clasic.

Issue.JPG

Nes_Classic_Menu_Theme.mp3

42 minutes ago, ea4492 said:

Nice job recreating the Nes classic, this them would be nice on a media center pc or if small pc. But I have a problem that for some reason in the platform view, the year gets cut off like you see in the screenshot. BTW, I uploaded the music that you hear in the background when you in the Nes Classic menu and thing i would like to see in this theme is the name of the platform on the lower left hand corner like it is on the nes clasic.

Issue.JPG

Nes_Classic_Menu_Theme.mp3

What aspect ratio are you running? I see the platform title is low also, both should be centered as in the original screenshots. I've tested this on 4 devices, 2 computers and 2 TVs (all 16:9) and can't re-create your problem. If you're not at 16:9 that could be what's causing it. Let me know and I can adjust it. 

1 minute ago, Grila said:

What aspect ratio are you running? I see the platform title is low also, both should be centered as in the original screenshots. I've tested this on 4 devices, 2 computers and 2 TVs (all 16:9) and can't re-create your problem. If you're not at 16:9 that could be what's causing it. Let me know and I can adjust it. 

Yeah its weird because my aspect ratio is 16:9. I may know what the problem is. it could be cause im using a laptop and it could be because the DPI scaling is at 125% because my laptop is 15.6'. ill test it on my 24' monitor and see if i get the  same problem.

ClassicMini has been updated to v1.1 with the addition of the Famicom skin. Because of how BigBox shares some views, I had to split this into 2 different themes. They are both packaged together in the .ZIP file. Just know that to change between the two you need to actually change the theme, not just switch views. Thanks guys/gals :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, master333 said:

Don't rush Grila, your work is fantastic but your kids need time with their dad. I will look for an update when you are ready.

OK, after updating to 7.5 I've had a few null exception errors thrown. Used BigBox for around 15 minutes just scrolling through platforms, selecting one, scrolling through games, selecting it to see the details, then exiting back to the platform view. The first error didn't give me any real explanation...just null exception. The second time gave me a more detailed explanation...

Spoiler

Version 7.5

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at (<>c )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.MenuActions.ExitMenuAction.<>c.<OnEnter>b__3_1()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (Action , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.ThreadFactory.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.MenuActions.ExitMenuAction.OnEnter()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.OnExit()
   at (MainViewModel , KeyEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.HandleKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at (MainView , Object , KeyEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.Views.MainView.MainView_OnPreviewKeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawKeyboardActions actions, Int32 scanCode, Boolean isExtendedKey, Boolean isSystemKey, Int32 virtualKey)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.CriticalTranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.OnPreprocessMessage(Object param)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

So I checked the code real quick and the theme doesn't really do anything except display my images and bind to some basic things like platform name, game name, game notes, etc. So all I can think is it may be a bug with the 7.5 release.

@master333 If you get a minute can you delete the version you have and try this one out please? I made changes to the way a few images were called via binding. I quickly tested it for nearly 1/2 hour by letting attract mode run at it's highest settings and didn't receive any crashes.

**download removed, grab new version from the forum Downloads page**

Edited by Grila
Released new version of theme

Thanks Grila, all seems working now in 7.5.

OK something else:

For my example below I am saying there are 3 views in BB:

1) Platform View

2) Games View 

3) Game Details View (optional - can have enabled or disabled via settings)

I usually have 'skip game details view' enabled for other themes (as other themes have the details on the games view screen like notes/description, last played, etc) but if it is enabled on yours I cannot access all that information on Game Details view as it just loads straight into the game.

I also cannot access full screen images of artwork and the back of the box unless I am in that game details view only.

Easy fix is to disable 'skip game details view' and then I see the Game Details page after selecting a game. 

As I am sure many of us have more than 1 theme installed and in use, it's annoying for pure laziness reasons to have to remember to switch that option when using different themes.

I need to ask @Jason Carr about having a button assigned to showing Game Details view on the controller from any screen. This would solve it.

Some food for thought!

Is there anything you could do regarding having access to fullscreen images at the Games View stage which only works at Games Details view?

Wishlist of things I would like to see in the future:

More views!

Video integration for platform views.

Bottom left of Platform view having the name of the console in it.

Fullscreen images access at games view

I have added a mockup of the Platform View screen with some of these ideas.

The more info toggle would be on both Platform and Games View and take you to a page like Game Details view for Platform and Games View even if you have it enabled to skip the page.

NESIMG.jpg

Edited by master333
update