LaunchBox Community Forums

Advice switching from hyperspin

wemr97dl

I've been reading a ton about how easy setup is, I have a 3 year old set up of hyperspin, was running hyperlaunch and just upgraded to rocketlauncher needs some work have to do updates etc. Just asking if it's worth fixing or should I start from scratch?? Definitely want to par down the games and will be running an arcade cabinet w/ipac4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I started from scratch... but I also bought a new SSD hard drive specifically for launchbox. After years of setting up hyperspin and rl, I trying to sort through all the extra files etc I probably downloaded or become obsolete didn't feel worth it on the old drive. If it's the same hard drive and you're just adding lb to your setup, no reason not to just fix/update there. In terms of RL, launchbox will launch just fine without it. It all depends on if you want the extra features, and, in my opinion how good you are with command lines. I'm not at all, but it seems like lb is capable of doing a lot of stuff rl does but through commands. No fade, no suspend front end, and no Pause yet though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Edited by fromlostdays
typo

I bought a new hard drive just for the new setup and have a new computer on the way.
Question, I do need the RL Features so if I set up new should I just set up RL as an emulator in LB and then do everything through LB or should I set up RL with all the systems and then just set LB/BB as my front end?

The work flow will be:

set up the launchbox plugin / default front end in Rocketlauncher first.

Then, import your first system into Launchbox, setting up Rocket Launcher (it has a space in the name in lb) as the emulator.

You have to restart Rocketlauncher every time you import a new system, so it can read LBs updated xmls.*

From then on, you'll import systems in launchbox first, choosing rl as the emulator, downloading desired media etc. and then open RL after and set up how you actually want to launch the games there. Rl should automatically populate with whatever you import into Launchbox if you've set it up right.

In terms of media, I downloaded fresh. I think you said you have an emumovies account? The reason is twofold. A: if you're anything like me, setting up HyperSpin left me with mixmatched sets of artwork and a whole lot of extra files. On my new drive, I wanted it to be as clean as possible. B: HyperSpin as you know is very no intro centric in naming. LaunchBox is not. The good news is that Launchbox can mostly recognize no intro games, so no rom renaming necessary. However, Launchbox references its own database and the naming there is typically like no intro without the region tag. On import, LaunchBox will automatically give your games a title (if it can find it) and the artwork will be named after that title and amended with numbers for multiple files.

Like Super Metroid (USA).sfc will import as

Super Metroid

And the box art, for example, will be named

Super Metroid - 01

Super Metroid - 02

Etc. 

I wanted my artwork to be named in the best way possible for LaunchBox.

Note that LaunchBox does seem to recognize most if not all art that is named with the no intro naming convention, so feasibly you CAN just move the art from your HyperSpin directory to your Launchbox one. Or even change the paths in LB to point to your HyperSpin Media folders. It's really a personal choice.

The easier (and better continuity) route is to let LB download all the art anew. This will also get you any new stuff that's been uploaded since you last downloaded art for HyperSpin. However, this is not the FAST way. LB can take upwards to an hour (on my internet) for the bigger systems. If you don't really care about the naming, you CAN save some time during import by not downloading just the videos and manuals but downloading everything else. This speeds the import up, and then you can just copy the videos from your HyperSpin install.

The faster way is to just to copy all the media over into the LB folders. MUCH Faster. But... LB pulls and uses stuff that HyperSpin doesn't... for instance screenshots which can be displayed (and look good) as BoxArt for Systems that don't have much or any boxart. I'm thinking about stuff like Apple II, etc. 

Ultimately it's going to be a personal choice. If you want maximum correctly named art that is easily updated every time the LB database or emumovies gets an update, just download everything new.

If not, you can input whatever art you want from not just HyperSpin but any source. 

Edited by fromlostdays
Clarifcation
  • Like 1

I started brand new with rocket launcher and retro arch, finally got my ipac4 mapped in retro arch and sega genesis set up for my first system. All seems good, I'm going to add a few more systems before going onto MAME. Just a quick question. When importing mame roms is there an easy way to sort out the games I don't want before I download a bunch of art and metadata for all of them?? My hyperspin setup only has about 3000 using Dons Tools but honestly more could go. I just don't want to download all the artwork etc for a bunch of games I'll never play

Ok so you're using rocketlauncher, but when you import mame... name it MAME, scrape as Arcade and set up mame as the emulator (you'll change this later). If you import like that, launchbox should give you a list of all kinds of mame games you can choose not to import... region... clones.. etc. The only way I know to thin this lost further is to do it manually by hand or find a 3rd party app that'll do it.. not sure of any good ones. Once imported press control a in launchbox to select all the games, choose edit, and then set the emulator back to rocketlauncher.

Rocket Launcher is functioning correctly and games will launch from there and from launch box. The only thing bugging me before i go on is that in rocket launcher my roms path on the emulators tab is red like its no good, still works? My emulator exe path under retroarch emulator in global is red, still works?? When I audit my games they all show red, still work??

Im thinking the games is not using the correct data base for the audit, but cant see how to fix it, the others I have no idea how they would show the path as red but still work??c

Ok Reinstalled everything and 1st system up and working like a charm, I think my file structure was screwed up.

Now when I downloaded all the media for sega genesis, lifetime emumovies, i got almost 5000 errors and most were 404 file not found? How do I stop all the errors, The drive im using is and external but hooked up esata not usb, I found a blurb on emumovies forum that suggested error numbers like that might be due to an external usb drive but didnt see any resolution

Will start another system and hold off on the data for now

• Like 1