LaunchBox Community Forums

Zombeaver's Retroarch PSX and Saturn Overrides

Zombeaver

On 10/2/2019 at 12:50 PM, Solstar said:

Just installed 1.7.8 of retroach, seems lihe the preset shaders cannot be loaded anymore :(

That would be because they (stupidly, in my opinion) removed the video_shader = value from usage, and it's all done through presets now. This means that now, instead of being able to have only 1 override for a game in order to specify both frame size changes and specify a shader, you have to have two files - an override for the dimensions and a shader preset to tell it to use the specific shader. Improvements! Because reasons! Oh, and all shader paths are relative to where the the preset is loaded from now, rather than relative to Retroarch itself, so I've had to go back and update all the paths in my shader set. Improvements! Because reasons! I love when they make these kinds of "upgrades".

I'll end up releasing an updated override (and now shader preset) set along with updated versions of my shaders soon.

• Like 1

I see now why...yeah i totally understand your feelings..you download the latest version hoping for improvements and then BAM all your configs are null and void. that is why i tried to loading the shaders in the preset manually and didn't work.I will wait for this update from you, thanks in advance for your patience

• Like 1

I've attached an update near the bottom of the opening post for Retroarch 1.7.8+ which has presets to trigger the deinterlacing shaders as well as updated versions of the shaders since the paths are now relative. Please note that you'll need to rename the presets to match your own files just like you have to do with overrides - they're matched in the same way.

I included folders for both Beetle PSX HW and Beetle PSX as I've actually switched over to Beetle PSX now. I've encountered a few visual bugs in the HW core even when using software rendering (bugs that weren't present in previous versions), so I'm just using the regular old software core now. It's worth noting too that the latest software core supports upscaling itself, which is pretty neat.

On 10/12/2019 at 2:21 AM, Zombeaver said:

. Please note that you'll need to rename the presets to match your own files just like you have to do with overrides - they're matched in the same way.

hmm what do you mean by that? i took the fighers megamix one and renamed it with the zero divide game title i used before. it now loads the preset, but they 're not the ones used previously...for this game i needed bob and deinterlace and the other found within that preset. even by adding it (or just leaving the one i found, stock x4, hylian etc) there is an ungodly amount of dithering that makes the game virtually unplayable ?

Edited by Solstar

I mean what I said. They're matched to content in the same way the overrides are - by filename; and the filenames for my games are not likely to be identical to your filenames. I might have "Fighters Megamix.cue" and you might have "Fighters Megamix (USA).cue". You would need to rename the presets that I attached to match your own files, just like you have to do with overrides, because I have no way of knowing what you have.

I don't know what you mean by them being different - they're not. Fighters Megamix uses CRT-Deinterlacing-Soft-3X. If you open up the override (Retroarch\config\Beetle Saturn\FIGHTERS_MEGAMIX.cfg) or the preset (Retroarch\shaders\presets\FIGHTERS_MEGAMIX.glslp), you'll see it listed in both. It does nothing in overrides now (video_shader =), so it has to be loaded via the preset. You're welcome to compare each of the presets to the overrides, but they're the same.

• 2 months later...

@Zombeaver

I'm certain with Dreamcast on being able to read the hex of a certain file on the disc to get the ID, and I'm fairly confident of being able to find the ID for PSX...no clue about Saturn or other optical disc's.

But an INI or XML could be created that stores settings to be used based off an ID. Then a script could be written to load each person's disc's read the ID from them, then create a config based on the name of the disc, using the XML. The same could be done with Cart based games...only using the MD5 hash value.

PlayStation DataCenter has a listing of PSX ID's

While I still haven't found where the ID is stored on PSX...this tool Psx2PSP seems to find it no problem.

Edited by Nologic

• 4 months later...

As with the C64 stuff, all of the customized video settings are resolution-dependent - 1080p in this case. If I could convert these to be cropped at the core (source) level rather than at the video output level, they'd work for everyone.

Most platforms this sort of thing isn't really necessary but for PlayStation (and Saturn to a lesser degree) it's kindof a huge deal because of all the different resolution modes that games used. That, in and of itself, could make this a more difficult undertaking than the C64 one though, because unlike C64 you don't have a static starting point - it's based on whatever the game tells it to output, which can be all over the place - sometimes changing multiple times in the same game.

• 2 months later...

Just FYI, there was a recent update to the Beetle PSX core that added in aspect ratio settings to the core options ("Core Aspect Ratio"). I kinda hoped that this might be something that would eliminate the need for the custom cropping settings, but alas, it does not. If you're using my overrides you need to make sure that you change the core option to "Force 4:3" for everything to continue to work correctly. Below are the core settings I use for reference.

Hopefully at some point @Pixelpiper will feel froggy and make us a nice "BC Edition" of Beetle PSX that has the same cropping features as his C64 core and then I can go back and rework these to help make some of this stuff a bit less fiddly ;)

Spoiler

beetle_psx_analog_calibration = "disabled"
beetle_psx_analog_toggle = "disabled"
beetle_psx_aspect_ratio = "4:3"
beetle_psx_cd_access_method = "precache"
beetle_psx_cd_fastload = "2x(native)"
beetle_psx_cdimagecache = "disabled"
beetle_psx_core_timing_fps = "force_progressive"
beetle_psx_cpu_dynarec = "disabled"
beetle_psx_cpu_freq_scale = "100%(native)"
beetle_psx_cpu_overclock = "disabled"
beetle_psx_crop_overscan = "enabled"
beetle_psx_display_internal_fps = "disabled"
beetle_psx_display_internal_framerate = "disabled"
beetle_psx_display_vram = "disabled"
beetle_psx_dither_mode = "1x(native)"
beetle_psx_dynarec_eventcycles = "128"
beetle_psx_dynarec_invalidate = "full"
beetle_psx_enable_memcard1 = "enabled"
beetle_psx_enable_multitap_port1 = "disabled"
beetle_psx_enable_multitap_port2 = "disabled"
beetle_psx_filter = "nearest"
beetle_psx_frame_duping = "disabled"
beetle_psx_frame_duping_enable = "disabled"
beetle_psx_gpu_overclock = "1x(native)"
beetle_psx_gte_overclock = "disabled"
beetle_psx_gte_subpixel = "subpixel"
beetle_psx_gun_cursor = "cross"
beetle_psx_gun_input_mode = "lightgun"
beetle_psx_image_crop = "disabled"
beetle_psx_image_offset = "disabled"
beetle_psx_initial_scanline = "0"
beetle_psx_initial_scanline_pal = "0"
beetle_psx_internal_color_depth = "dithered 16bpp (native)"
beetle_psx_internal_resolution = "1x(native)"
beetle_psx_last_scanline = "239"
beetle_psx_last_scanline_pal = "287"
beetle_psx_line_render = "default"
beetle_psx_lineRender = "default"
beetle_psx_mouse_sensitivity = "100%"
beetle_psx_negcon_deadzone = "0%"
beetle_psx_negcon_response = "linear"
beetle_psx_pal_video_timing_override = "disabled"
beetle_psx_pgxp_caching = "disabled"
beetle_psx_pgxp_mode = "disabled"
beetle_psx_pgxp_texture = "enabled"
beetle_psx_renderer = "software"
beetle_psx_renderer_software_fb = "enabled"
beetle_psx_scale_dither = "enabled"
beetle_psx_shared_memory_cards = "disabled"
beetle_psx_skip_bios = "disabled"
beetle_psx_skipbios = "disabled"
beetle_psx_use_mednafen_memcard0_method = "libretro"
beetle_psx_widescreen_auto_ar = "disabled"
beetle_psx_widescreen_hack = "disabled"
beetle_psx_wireframe = "disabled"

On 4/25/2020 at 11:18 AM, orphen92 said:

wow impressive.
There is the same project available for n64 ?

No, not at the moment. Although I have done some of that in my personal collection. The main issue primarily just being that I'm not a big N64 fan :P