LaunchBox Community Forums

Resolved - Is a movie database possible? - Informational

walter10h

The games database is a fantastic thing to have, but given the nature of Launchbox and how easy it is to get it to launch a player and watch any movie, would a movie database be possible? Or maybe a connection to The Open Movie Database API? Seems a bit silly, since Launchbox is mainly a game-focused launcher, but I want to know if there's any chance of putting movies into the mix.

...Or books...

you wouldn't need to make your own DB you would just need to connect to one of the existing ones API but either way its pretty firmly been stated before that there won't be any additional media types being supported by the program unless it in the distant future so the point is moot

On 23/03/2017 at 8:03 PM, walter10h said:

The games database is a fantastic thing to have, but given the nature of Launchbox and how easy it is to get it to launch a player and watch any movie, would a movie database be possible? Or maybe a connection to The Open Movie Database API? Seems a bit silly, since Launchbox is mainly a game-focused launcher, but I want to know if there's any chance of putting movies into the mix.

...Or books...

There is a third-party app called LaunchMovies(you can find it in the Downloads section) which does that by using theMovieDB's database. I tested it and it works just fine.

Edited by gustarrini

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/03/2017 at 2:45 PM, Styphelus said:

We can't even get the Games DB complete, never mind a movie database. Kodi and Ember is the way to go as lordmonkus mentioned.

Haha, I was going to say this. Let's finish one thing first, or "concentrate all our fire" on the Games Database. (Quote from Yoda AOTC). 

Edited by JamesBond@ge

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vlansix changed the title to Resolved - Is a movie database possible? - Informational