LaunchBox Community Forums

Xbox Emulation (major progress)

kerszr

I dearly hope so. Such an underrated console. It had so many Sega exclusives it was basically the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast, and it had a lot of other interesting, under-appreciated games. The backwards compatibility on the 360 is really half-assed and unsatisfactory.

Yeah that video leaves a lot to be desired. I am not familiar with that particular emulator, but it doesn't seem much more advanced then the other XBOX simulators out there.  I do hope they keep at it though and get it really working. I would love to replay some of my favorite XBOX games. There are still a lot of titles for the system that were exclusive and never made it to another console or the PC.

A real shame too. AFAIK it uses essentially off the shelf PC hardware for the time. There is a lot of potential to really accurately and efficiently emulate the system with standard PCs, because the architecture is so similar. 

4 hours ago, mothergoose729 said:

Yeah that video leaves a lot to be desired. I am not familiar with that particular emulator, but it doesn't seem much more advanced then the other XBOX simulators out there.  I do hope they keep at it though and get it really working. I would love to replay some of my favorite XBOX games. There are still a lot of titles for the system that were exclusive and never made it to another console or the PC.

A real shame too. AFAIK it uses essentially off the shelf PC hardware for the time. There is a lot of potential to really accurately and efficiently emulate the system with standard PCs, because the architecture is so similar. 

Dev here: The architecture similarity really stops with the CPU, everything else is custom. 

2 hours ago, LukeUsher said:

Dev here: The architecture similarity really stops with the CPU, everything else is custom. 

This, and thats just the hardware, if I recall correctly it also uses a super stripped down version of the .NET framework on the software side.

6 hours ago, LukeUsher said:

Not a dev here: Don't the nvidia graphics use a similar shader pipeline and all that to modern graphic too ? I was reading about CXBX on the (original) website. The system calls are all done though a D3D API I think, although I guess there are some custom bits that need to be emulated. 

6 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

Not a dev here: Don't the nvidia graphics use a similar shader pipeline and all that to modern graphic too ? I was reading about CXBX on the (original) website. The system calls are all done though a D3D API I think, although I guess there are some custom bits that need to be emulated. 

By dev I meant that I am the main developer of Cxbx-Reloaded. It's true that Cxbx (and Cxbx-Reloaded) currently work by intercepting DirectX calls,however the DirectX implementation on the Xbox is completely different to the PC implementation, it contains functionality that only exists on the Xbox GPU, for example, so this approach is actually what has been hindering Xbox emulation for so long. One of the key reasons Cxbx-Reloaded is making more progress than Cxbx ever did, is that we are actually redirecting less functionality to native DirectX and Windows API calls than ever before. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeUsher said:

By dev I meant that I am the main developer of Cxbx-Reloaded. It's true that Cxbx (and Cxbx-Reloaded) currently work by intercepting DirectX calls,however the DirectX implementation on the Xbox is completely different to the PC implementation, it contains functionality that only exists on the Xbox GPU, for example, so this approach is actually what has been hindering Xbox emulation for so long. One of the key reasons Cxbx-Reloaded is making more progress than Cxbx ever did, is that we are actually redirecting less functionality to native DirectX and Windows API calls than ever before. 

That is very interesting, and I really hope you guys succeed.

I'm just curious is all. Thank you for sharing your insight :). 

Edited by mothergoose729