LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezels for Windows Retroarch

Buttonmasher

Im trying to have platform bezels setup on retroarch but there doesnt seem to be any info out there on how to make this work.  Does anyone have a link of any kind on where I need to add these and have them active? Id like to slowly add game specific bezels eventually but I thought I would start with something a bit easier first.  

These are the bezels I have downloaded and look to use

• Like 1

Retroarch can handle this directly. 

Download the two files attached and save them to Retroarch/overlays/borders. Now open retroarch and go to settings--->Onscreen Display----->Onscreen Overlay. Make sure "Display Overlay" is on and then select "Overlay Preset" which is the 3rd option down. Go to your overlay folder is retroarch and select "NintendoEntertainmentSystem.cfg" Exit out of the menu and your bezel should be there.

So if you noticed, I included a config file which is required. There aren't any config files with what your downloading. All I did was use one that came with retroarch and just changed the name. So if this works then you just need to change the name of the config files to match the name of your bezel. So for example.

I used gb,cfg Open it and I get

"overlays = 1overlay0_overlay = gb.pngoverlay0_full_screen = trueoverlay0_descs = 0"

See the gb,png? Change it to 

"overlays = 1overlay0_overlay = NintendoEntertainmentSystem.pngoverlay0_full_screen = trueoverlay0_descs = 0"

NintendoEntertainmentSystem.cfg

NintendoEntertainmentSystem.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

This helped tremendously @Kolk1604.  Now if you do not mind me getting a little more specific, how would this work if I wanted Retroarch to use the specific bezels for specific arcade systems.  For example, if I want the CPS3 bezel to be used when playing a CPS3 title how could I get Retroarch to choose that specific bezel?  Obviously Launchbox has them sorted by system, but how does Retroarch do this as well all while using the same MAME core?

On 5/17/2017 at 5:00 PM, Buttonmasher said:

This helped tremendously @Kolk1604.  Now if you do not mind me getting a little more specific, how would this work if I wanted Retroarch to use the specific bezels for specific arcade systems.  For example, if I want the CPS3 bezel to be used when playing a CPS3 title how could I get Retroarch to choose that specific bezel?  Obviously Launchbox has them sorted by system, but how does Retroarch do this as well all while using the same MAME core?

Sorry I don't know and i'm not real familiar with arcade systems. The only way I can think of is if you can load more than 1 config per core. Like if MAME was able to tell which arcade system your using and then load that config file. So like if you used MAME to launch CPS3, it would load CPS3.cfg or something. 

Or maybe using a different core for CPS1,2, and 3. Like FBA or something? 

On 5/20/2017 at 10:46 PM, CJDJ said:

Just throwing this out there... but doesn't Retroarch have a setting where you can save a config for each game?  I know there is one for Core, but I believe there is one for each game as well.

It does (they're called "overrides"), but in my experience it doesn't actually save overlay data into overrides via the save per-game/per-core override options in RA's UI. You can add them to override files (on a per-core or per-game basis) manually though.

So, for example, in order to have separate overlays for SNES and NES, I can do the following.

In retroarch.cfg: input_overlay_enable = "false"

This makes it so that, by default, overlays are disabled. I then enable it and set the specific overlay in per-core overrides (Retroarch\config\[core name]\[core name].cfg):

bsnes-mercury.cfg:

592303619a298_SNESOverride.thumb.JPG.a6c138c4b40684d9b786efcc878cf391.JPG5923036cdf85f_SNESOverlay.thumb.jpg.5c401c26cb196b9fd03d82cb50edbfe0.jpgNestopia.cfg:

59230385770f0_NESOverride.thumb.JPG.d8aeefa286cd3a08165e2cb09021e89a.JPG59230390c9c2d_NESOverlay.thumb.jpg.9598c497a6e1ea2c9a1aaccab2208a64.jpg

This will allow you to set separate overlay's per-core but if you're in a scenario where you have multiple platforms that are setup to use the same core (like original Game Boy and GBC using Gambatte for example) you will have to create separate configs entirely and direct them to Retroarch. Just copy your Retroarch.cfg, name it after the platform that you're going to use it with, and change the overlay to the one you want (and enable overlays) and in the default command line parameters field in the emulator entry in LB, you'll have to add -c "path/to/config".

I go into a bit more detail on that (and overrides) in the below thread:

5 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

It does (they're called "overrides"), but in my experience it doesn't actually save overlay data into overrides via the save per-game/per-core override options in RA's UI. You can add them to override files (on a per-core or per-game basis) manually though.

So, for example, in order to have separate overlays for SNES and NES, I can do the following.

This makes it so that, by default, overlays are disabled. I then enable it and set the specific overlay in per-core overrides (Retroarch\config\[core name]\[core name].cfg):

bsnes-mercury.cfg:

592303619a298_SNESOverride.thumb.JPG.a6c138c4b40684d9b786efcc878cf391.JPG5923036cdf85f_SNESOverlay.thumb.jpg.5c401c26cb196b9fd03d82cb50edbfe0.jpgNestopia.cfg:

59230385770f0_NESOverride.thumb.JPG.d8aeefa286cd3a08165e2cb09021e89a.JPG59230390c9c2d_NESOverlay.thumb.jpg.9598c497a6e1ea2c9a1aaccab2208a64.jpg

This will allow you to set separate overlay's per-core but if you're in a scenario where you have multiple platforms that are setup to use the same core (like original Game Boy and GBC using Gambatte for example) you will have to create separate configs entirely and direct them to Retroarch. Just copy your Retroarch.cfg, name it after the platform that you're going to use it with, and change the overlay to the one you want (and enable overlays) and in the default command line parameters field in the emulator entry in LB, you'll have to add -c "path/to/config".

Yea my issue is not using overlay between different cores but using different overlays for different arcade systems like Konami Classics, Midway Games, CPS1, CPS2, etc while using the mame_libretro core for all of my rom files.  I can easily just use a MAME overlay for all of my games but I would like to get a little more specific with things.  

• 2 years later...

I have downloaded the Bezel Project and install it it to the retroarch-path:

X:\Emulators\Retroarch\overlays\ArcadeBezels
In this folder are one cfg and one png for every mame game.

My Roms are zip-Files and are here:
X:\Games\MAME

How can i choose a game with launchbox and it starts retroarch with the rigt bezel for the game?

7 hours ago, SierraFOOL said:

I have downloaded the Bezel Project and install it it to the retroarch-path:

X:\Emulators\Retroarch\overlays\ArcadeBezels
In this folder are one cfg and one png for every mame game.

My Roms are zip-Files and are here:
X:\Games\MAME

How can i choose a game with launchbox and it starts retroarch with the rigt bezel for the game?

Retroarch is the piece of the chain that will display the bezels you have installed, so make sure you can get them work by starting Retroarch without using LaunchBox first. Once you get native Retroarch starting your MAME roms and the bezels are being displayed, just configure LaunchBox by importing your MAME roms regularly and point to Retroarch as the emulator. You don't have to do anything in LaunchBox to get the bezels to display.

Note: your MAME rom names must match exactly with the bezel cfg files.

• 8 months later...

Guys, I know this has been discussed and I am beating my head against the wall.  I have what I will call a dual modular build.  I have a folder, d:\MAME, with all associated ROMS/Bezel/LaunchBox.  Then I have another folder d:\CONSOLE.  In here is another Launchbox /Bezels/RetroArch/cores/ROMS/etc.  I keep it modular and separate.  I downloaded the Bezel Project and ran it for MAME.  Right out of the box works perfectly.  Did the same for my Console directory, which has NES/SNES/N64/Sega.  All the files (.cfg and .png) appear to be going to the right place.  I use the no-intro ROM's for everything.  I can't for the live of me figure out why the bezels are not showing up.  The games work (well, those that do work properly).  I have watched countless videos on how to setup the overlays i RetroArch but nothing is working.  Any help is appreciated.

14 hours ago, scheerce said:

Guys, I know this has been discussed and I am beating my head against the wall.  I have what I will call a dual modular build.  I have a folder, d:\MAME, with all associated ROMS/Bezel/LaunchBox.  Then I have another folder d:\CONSOLE.  In here is another Launchbox /Bezels/RetroArch/cores/ROMS/etc.  I keep it modular and separate.  I downloaded the Bezel Project and ran it for MAME.  Right out of the box works perfectly.  Did the same for my Console directory, which has NES/SNES/N64/Sega.  All the files (.cfg and .png) appear to be going to the right place.  I use the no-intro ROM's for everything.  I can't for the live of me figure out why the bezels are not showing up.  The games work (well, those that do work properly).  I have watched countless videos on how to setup the overlays i RetroArch but nothing is working.  Any help is appreciated.

A few questions. What version of Retroarch are you running? What is the exact path where your retroarch.exe is located? In the Bezel Project installer, is the Retroarch directory under Preferences the same as the exact path where retroarch.exe is located?

Hello Dragon57.  Thank you for the reply.  I like your Cray logo.  Do you  know that years ago HP bought Convex machines (and eventually the company I believe) and sold them as V class HPUX servers.  The Convex was similar to the Cray machines.  Anyway, fun history in IT.  I am running RA 1.8.4.  The exe is in d:\console\launchbox\emulators\retroarch.  In the Bezel Project .ini, here is the RA setting.  RAHomeDir=D:\Console\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch.  All of the cfg/png files are in d:\console\launchbox\emulators\retroarch\overlays\gamebezels\<console>\<game name>.cfg or .png.  They match the ROM name as I used the no-intro ROMs for all my console games.  The games run fine, just no bezels.  The screen is a BENQ 16:9, but the consoles show up in 4:3 as I believe they should.  Again, the MAME installer worked 100% perfect the first time.   Not sure what is going on with the Console bezels.  it should be simple.  

9 hours ago, scheerce said:

Hello Dragon57.  Thank you for the reply.  I like your Cray logo.  Do you  know that years ago HP bought Convex machines (and eventually the company I believe) and sold them as V class HPUX servers.  The Convex was similar to the Cray machines.  Anyway, fun history in IT.  I am running RA 1.8.4.  The exe is in d:\console\launchbox\emulators\retroarch.  In the Bezel Project .ini, here is the RA setting.  RAHomeDir=D:\Console\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch.  All of the cfg/png files are in d:\console\launchbox\emulators\retroarch\overlays\gamebezels\<console>\<game name>.cfg or .png.  They match the ROM name as I used the no-intro ROMs for all my console games.  The games run fine, just no bezels.  The screen is a BENQ 16:9, but the consoles show up in 4:3 as I believe they should.  Again, the MAME installer worked 100% perfect the first time.   Not sure what is going on with the Console bezels.  it should be simple.  

Those paths look fine. Not sure what is going on. Like you said, it should just work.

Hmm, have you verified the core directory names under d:\console\launchbox\emulators\retroarch\config match the core you are actually using for each console? That is the second naming convention that must match in addition to the cfg/rom names combo.

Sorry, been away for a couple days.  I will check with this.  It is a stock/default installation (modular, not .msi) for everything.  I have not changed a single option/name.  The only thing "custom" I guess I would say is that I have it installed in d: instead of c  ??

• 3 years later...
On 5/22/2017 at 11:31 AM, Zombeaver said:

bsnes-mercury.cfg:

I'm sorry but I can't for the life of me get System Specific overlays to work.
What is the step by step process?