LaunchBox Community Forums

Bummed out, my Launchbox keeps crashing. "Not responding" QUIT or DEBUG

cleverest

Could not reinstall directX, even following this guide didn't work Apparently there is no offiical stand alone installer for Windows 10 directX

How can I force a full re-install of DirectX?
A:

Normally the DirectX installer will refuse to install if it detects that you already have the latest version of DirectX installed. This makes it a pain in the ass to fix a broken DirectX installation. Luckily, there is a small workaround to trick the DirectX installer into a full re-installation.

Run the Registry Editor: Start -> Run -> regedit

Navigate to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX

Change the value of version from '4.09.00.0904' to '4.08.00.0904'.

Now run the DirectX installer.

Hey man, had the same problem last week i believe with W10 and LB.

Once I deleted and reinstalled all the M$ VC++ dependencies, i was back up and running no problem. Heh, i had to do i t again today as the lastest update to W10 messed with a few.

In any event, go here to grab the all in one installer : http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_runtime_installer.html

once you've downloaded, reboot, and run it.

It'll delete any and all dependencies you have installed now, or if you wish to delete them manually,  go to Control Panel/ Add/Remove Programs and delete everything that begins with "Microsoft Visual C++" and then run the installer. Either way, it takes about 10 minutes tops.

Reboot after which ever of the two you decide, but in the end, you will have all 18 dependencies installed from oldest to newest in the proper order (x86 fisrt then x64 on top of)

Let us know if the above helps :)

Edited by alexis524
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 0:11 PM, neil9000 said:

Yeah but we are saying that we believe that the issues you are having are related to the Windows update. You cant really say nothing has changed on my PC when you have in fact done a whole OS upgrade.

this.

@cleverest, i'm telling you, i had the same exact issue. down to the OS, to when LB would crash, all of it. The same.exact.thing. It all had to do with W10 updates. I noticed LB crashing right after installed the Creators Editon and also today after another update. Follow the steps in the post above and you should be right as rain.

Edited by alexis524
  • Like 1

Alexis524, I followed every step exactly...including the restarts... (both before and after), I have all 18 installed...

STILL CRASHES!  UGH....this really sucks.  Loved my Launchbox collection, now I gotta basically use a different computer or reinstall windows from scratch, which makes no sense....

--------------

Anything I can submit BUG wise to Jason so maybe he can take a closer look?  Is he back from his trip yet? :-)

• 2 months later...

Probably going to install windows 8.1 and be done with it....prefer it anyways...there is nothing in Windows 10 I need... and don't even use the start menu....prefer a less intrusive OS anyways and it doesn't get any worse than having Windows 10, so, hopefully there are no 8.1 issues with Launchbox.

There shouldn't be any issues with any version of Windows 7, 8 or 10. I have used all 3 of them with Launchbox with no problems.

It's too bad you are having problems with Windows 10 but I can assure you there is something else going on with it for you. Myself and several others use Windows 10 and Launchbox daily without problems.