LaunchBox Community Forums

Running MESS Systems in MAME

DJQuad

Making a MAME2 emulator at least got the systems launching, but there are problems.

Apple 2 opens MAME then immediately closes.

Jaguar isn't supported - no rom gets past the Jaguar splash screen and from what I've read it's not worth the trouble.

Atari 5200 runs but the input controls are pretty spotty. On some roms, an input key seem held down, on some the input doesn't work at all (unless a key other than 1 starts it?)

Anyway, on cases like these, is it generally better to use another emulator or do they all have the same flaws in the emulators/roms themselves?

I'd ideally like to stick with either MAME or RetroArch.

mame2.png

knownprobs.png

Edited by DJQuad

Jaguar emulation is very bad, so in that case yes. There aren't many 5200 emulators, so there aren't many choices, but I don't know whats going on there. If it's closing right away, then either the game is a bad rip (least likely), or the most likely scenarios are that the BIOS are not there or the command line is off. The command line changes depending on the file extension too. You have a MAME split or non-merged rom set in your mame/roms folder, correct?

15 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

There aren't many 5200 emulators, so there aren't many choices, but I don't know whats going on there. If it's closing right away, then either the game is a bad rip (least likely), or the most likely scenarios are that the BIOS are not there or the command line is off. The command line changes depending on the file extension too. You have a MAME split or non-merged rom set in your mame/roms folder, correct?

Yep, split. I got both sets from PD.

Edit: Sorry, I got the 5200 roms from TOSEC per your tutorial.

Edited by DJQuad

No, it does. If you have a command line set for a game, or on the first tab of the Edit Emulator screen, then you'd be sending multiples. If you have no other command line other than on the Associated Platform page, or just on the first emulator tab, or just on a game, it only sends exactly that once.

The Apple IIgs ROM03 is the parent (ROM00 and ROM01 are just 2 of it's clones).
The parent machine's romset is apple2gs.zip which you will need (it comes as part of the full MAME romset).

Apple IIgs MAME emulation can be fiddly and I found when trying it out some time ago that I needed to use Custom Parameters on a game by game basis.

What I found was if a game used, say, the 2mg extension then the params needed to be
apple2gs -flop3
as this extension is not supported by flop1 or flop2.

But a game with the dsk extension would fail to run using flop3, as the dsk extension is supported by all flop numbers and you have to use the lowest supported.
apple2gs -flop1

For games with more than 1 disk you will need a Custom Parameter like
apple2gs -flop1 %romfile% -flop2 "your full path to the 2nd floppy"
or
apple2gs -flop3 %romfile% -flop4 "your full path to the 2nd floppy"
depending on the game's disk format.

Apple IIgs will also emulate Apple II games provided they are in one of the supported disk formats.

Should this be working?

G:\Emulators\MAME 0.185 64>mame64.exe apple2gs -flop3 "G:\ROMS\Apple II\TOSEC\Apple II - Games - [DSK] (TOSEC-v2010-01-16_CM)\Zaxxon (1983)(Datasoft).zip"
Fatal error: Device Floppy Disk [Sony] load failed: Invalid image

G:\Emulators\MAME 0.185 64>mame64.exe apple2gs -flop3 "G:\ROMS\Apple II\TOSEC\Apple II - Games - [DSK] (TOSEC-v2010-01-16_CM)\Warship v1.1 (1986)(SSI)[RDOS].zip"

G:\Emulators\MAME 0.185 64>mame64.exe apple2gs -flop3 "G:\ROMS\Apple II\TOSEC\Apple II - Games - [DSK] (TOSEC-v2010-01-16_CM)\Spy Vs Spy (1984)(First Star Software).zip"

On 28/05/2017 at 11:54 PM, spycat said:

But a game with the dsk extension would fail to run using flop3, as the dsk extension is supported by all flop numbers and you have to use the lowest supported.
apple2gs -flop1

And as the games you are trying to load are Apple II DSK games you need to use flop1 where as your command lines all say -flop3

• Like 1

And as the 3 games you mention are all single disk games there is no need to add the full rompath as LaunchBox will have been pointed to it when the games were set up.

The Default Command-Line Parameters are just
apple2gs -flop1