LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing the Win3xO and eXoDOS Collections (Now with Win3xO+eXoDOS images!)

syntax_X

I am still on version 2.0 of eXoDOS, not sure if version 3.0 or 3.11 are out yet, I haven't seen it around.  BUT, for the record for those with missing cover images, I just double checked with MEAGRE itself and those same games don't have cover images in version 2.0 of eXoDOS, so you didn't do anything wrong.  Its just is.

@syntax_X Thanks for the work, but there are missing images but its not your fault, but you make it sound like your install has only a handful of missing cover images, maybe you are on a different version of eXoDOS maybe?  

For those planning to install this, what I did to get the list of bat files was use the windows search function using "*.bat -install -autoexec" as the search parameters, this should just list the bat files minus the crud you don't need.  Also when downloading metadata and media step, select the middle option to not update existing fields.

The only weak spot (of no fault of anybody) of this method compared to just using MEAGRE itself is you don't have ready access to the game manuals and other PDFs, many of these old DOS game had copy protection that requires you to flip the pages of the manuals.  Not a big problem, but to actually access those pdf you then have to open MEAGRE itself.... so making using Launchbox itself redundant for these type of games.  If only there is a way to attach pdf files to games in Launchbox. 

Having said that, LaunchBox is still any amazing way to browse through your dos collection to find games you want to try.  

Edited by Garfiend

Well... Let's see.

1. 3.11 is out.

2. Launchbox does have manuals in it. As well as copy protection, extras, etc...

3. I'm not sure which games have "missing" images for this person, but I suspect they are games that were never released, and so they never had a box. All games should have screenshots and title screens. Games that had commercial released should have box art and usually scanned media as well.

Wow!  Could you hint as to where to download it from?  

Amazing work man, I am a fan.

Following the instructions in this thread the manuals for the games aren't moved for your MEAGRE folders to the appropriate folder in Launch Box.  (This may be a mute point as this may be fixed in version 3.11)

Edited by Garfiend

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Have a quick question on this.  As launchbox is installed already, can this data be imported to my current launchbox install, or is it best to have two launchbox installs, with one just for this collection? Thanks

EDIT

Just found this

Edited by dita
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey eXo,

Sorry, I just found your Discord @ https://discordapp.com/channels/454359114601201666/454373903146680333 so saw your latest updates.  last update here I saw on the release date of eXoDOS was September, any updates on when v4 is coming out?  As well on win3xo?

Thank you for all the effort you and others have put into this.

Edited by kaichou

• 3 months later...

Hey @eXo, can you help me here?

I'm having a problem with the latest version of LaunchBox with your 3.11 set. Every time I launch a game it installs fine but when I run it DOSBox opens for a second and then minimizes to the taskbar with the game running. I have checked the version of LaunchBox that you bundled with the 3.11 set and everything works fine with that version, but not with the latest version of LaunchBox. I have tried multiple versions of DOSBox with no luck. I have also tried running games with and without aspect correction, still no luck.

Is this a known issue? I would really like to get this up and running so any would be help greatly appreciated and many thanks for all the work you have done on this project.

On 2/7/2019 at 1:08 AM, kaichou said:

Hey eXo,

Sorry, I just found your Discord @ https://discordapp.com/channels/454359114601201666/454373903146680333 so saw your latest updates.  last update here I saw on the release date of eXoDOS was September, any updates on when v4 is coming out?  As well on win3xo?

Thank you for all the effort you and others have put into this.

I'll begin work on the next version of win3xo after I release v4 of eXoDOS. At this time I do not know how long it will take to import win3x0 into launchbox and add new games to it. It depends on how many new games I find I suppose.

1 hour ago, Robin55 said:

Hey @eXo, can you help me here?

I'm having a problem with the latest version of LaunchBox with your 3.11 set. Every time I launch a game it installs fine but when I run it DOSBox opens for a second and then minimizes to the taskbar with the game running. I have checked the version of LaunchBox that you bundled with the 3.11 set and everything works fine with that version, but not with the latest version of LaunchBox. I have tried multiple versions of DOSBox with no luck. I have also tried running games with and without aspect correction, still no luck.

Is this a known issue? I would really like to get this up and running so any would be help greatly appreciated and many thanks for all the work you have done on this project.

I'm running the latest version of dosbox here and I do not have the problem. I don't know if it is a setting with your particular version or if it is a problem with some of the 3.11 files. 

• Like 2

Thanks lads, I fixed it in the end by using one of the SVN DOSBox builds that comes with Exodos.

The reason I didn't wait was because I was transitioning over from Rocket Launcher back to LaunchBox and I wanted to see if I could get everything working. Unfortunately I have found that I can not get JoyToKey to work with the current version of Exodos, I will be waiting now to see if the user making the keymapper tool will sort us out as that is much needed.....

It sounds like you aren't using the pack as intended. eXoDOS doesn'tgive you an option on which version to use. Different games use different versions and that's very important, so if you are somehow controlling which version of dos box it uses then you're already not running the launch files as intended.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The process is fairly simple.

To merge your eXoDOS launchbox files into an existing launchbox installation, do the following:

copy .\data\platforms\MS-DOS.xml from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\Manuals\MS-DOS\*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\images\MS-DOS\*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\eXoDOS\*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder 

• Like 2

Is there a proper guide with all the steps? I find it hard to follow with bits and pieces of information.

Does combining mean putting all of the files in one directory, games and all? Or am I supposed to leave the games in "./exodos/Games", and the the rest of the files in "./"?

Edited by MegaDeox

It says "run the setup.bat".

But I need to combine the volumes before that, or else there would be 5 launchbox instances

Do I need the to put the metadata files in one folder, with the launchbox.zip and setup.bat, and a "eXoDOS" folder with "Games" that has all of the games and "utils"?

I only understood this from reading the bat itself.

you are over complicating it.

all of the files were uploaded with the root folder named "eXoDOS". You just put them in the exact same folder. Files that have the same name are identical, so all 5 volumes can be seeded from the same folder.

Once everything is in the same folder, running setup will create an XML based on the volumes that are present.

I made it as simple as possible, yet it still confuses people. I can only imagine it's because people are so used to over complicated BS from other rom packs, that they expect it all of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1