LaunchBox Community Forums

Full name removed?

stevaside

I've seen couple posts regarding this in the past, and from what I remember, the only option then was to e-mail the developer to set up another name.  Is that still the case?  If so can someone fill me in on how to contact him about this?

For the most part I love LB & I don't mean to come on here & complain some more, but that is a pretty bad idea IMO. No other software I can think of constantly displays my full name for all to see.  I was even planning to bring laptop, arcade stick & Launchbox over a get together to have some fun, but sorry don't need to be sharing my name with everybody over the house

Just now, neil9000 said:

Mine shows my full name also, but i used a payment method that i logged into with my google account.

Ah maybe payment type alters what is shown. I paid with a credit card I use for online only purchases. Interesting. Thanks @neil9000. I dont mind it shows just my first name, but probably would not want my full name. 

Yeah i cant remember what payment method it was, but i had clearly used it before as i just clicked login with google account then entered my credit card info, so i assume it used the name associated with my google account. As for the original question as @lordmonkus said you can ask, but generally it is only changed for streamers and youtubers so that the real full name isn't shown on a stream. Also having the name attached to the license makes it easier to spot if a license is being shared, we have had to block a few recently for just this reason.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah i cant remember what payment method it was, but i had clearly used it before as i just clicked login with google account then entered my credit card info, so i assume it used the name associated with my google account. As for the original question as @lordmonkus said you can ask, but generally it is only changed for streamers and youtubers so that the real full name isn't shown on a stream. Also having the name attached to the license makes it easier to spot if a license is being shared, we have had to block a few recently for just this reason.

Yea I noticed some thread other day where some guy had the nerve to come on here & claim he "bought" a license from someone for a couple bucks

I REALLY do not like the fact my name is shown on the menu tho, be cool if it could just be hidden even

3 minutes ago, stevaside said:

Yea I noticed some thread other day where some guy had the nerve to come on here & claim he "bought" a license from someone for a couple bucks

I REALLY do not like the fact my name is shown on the menu tho, be cool if it could just be hidden even

Yeah, i am sort of with you there to a certain extent with the full name thing. However i think it is needed to keep Launchbox/Bigbox DRM free. The dev could probably easily remove that from view, but that would then defeat it's purpose and he would then have to use real DRM which would probably mean having a license explicitly connected to the specific instance of the program you are using, and would necessitate a new license if you installed to a different system. I believe this has been brought up before and that was more or less his response, to remove the name he would have to make the license much more restrictive, which he doesn't want to do. 

While LaunchBox displays your name on it's main screen, BigBox does not but shows it on it's Options and Settings screen.
You can hide your name in LaunchBox by switching to Fullscreen. However, if other people are having a hands-on, it's likely that someone will eventually turn this off and up comes your name.
Your name (and your email address) is also available via Help, About, Premium, as well as via Help, License Registration.

6 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah, i am sort of with you there to a certain extent with the full name thing. However i think it is needed to keep Launchbox/Bigbox DRM free. The dev could probably easily remove that from view, but that would then defeat it's purpose and he would then have to use real DRM which would probably mean having a license explicitly connected to the specific instance of the program you are using, and would necessitate a new license if you installed to a different system. I believe this has been brought up before and that was more or less his response, to remove the name he would have to make the license much more restrictive, which he doesn't want to do. 

Is there any purpose to having it right there in the options menu though. Why not put it in deeper in the settings with an option to lock access. It can still be in the license and viewable in LB/BB, just not to every Tom, Dick and Harry who you let use you PC/Cab.

1 minute ago, spectral said:

Is there any purpose to having it right there in the options menu though. Why not put it in deeper in the settings with an option to lock access. It can still be in the license and viewable in LB/BB, just not to every Tom, Dick and Harry who you let use you PC/Cab.

Yes, a good purpose that's my point, having it right there out in the open, is a good deterrent for people just saying here you are use my license.

Fair enough. Personally its a non issue for me, noone is going to see it who doesn't know my name anyway and I'm not that precious over people knowing it anyway. Well not anyone who I know well enough to also use my PC.

I do think the zero DRM thing is a bit amiguous though. It has a license that can be deactivated that is technically DRM.

Edited by spectral

9 minutes ago, spectral said:

Fair enough. Personally its a non issue for me, noone is going to see it who doesn't know my name anyway and I'm not that precious over people knowing it anyway. Well not anyone who I know well enough to also use my PC.

I do think the zero DRM thing is a bit amiguous though. It has a license that can be deactivated that is technically DRM.

No, real DRM, would call u to have a different license/account on different systems,or make you login to a account on every system you used. this is just a license that you can move to a different system with zero issue.

And yeah, if you are going to a house  and you don't want people to know your name, then you have bigger issues than a Launchbox license.

12 minutes ago, spectral said:

Jason has to do something to dissuade rampant license sharing and piracy and he found a great balance. You get to put Launchbox on as many machines as you like and you don't need to have an internet connection for it to work.

Yes, the license can be deactivated but that is only done when a license has been found to be shared widely. I call that a fair way of doing it.

• Like 1

I agree. Like I said its amiguous, but technically speaking it is a form of DRM, albeit a very light one. It can be used to take away your rights to use the software. Not saying Jason would ever do that unjustly but it can be done.

I would like to add I have nothing against it being present, just nitpicking really thats its not literally zero DRM. Tbh he has no choice in the matter as it stands as its literally the bare minimum he could do to be able to sell a license with an expiry date.

Edited by spectral