LaunchBox Community Forums

Rocket Launcher

stevaside

Supposedly I need this to run Visual Pinball tables the right way from LB

Before I go scouring the internet, can anyone point me to some tutorials that might help me out there or  tell me the right order of steps I need to take to make this happen?...if it's not too complicated that is

Greatly appreciate it

there are usualy detailed notes in the modules of Rocketlauncher that will help you through the setup process. if you find the module for Visual pinball in click on notes it will display these.

Firstly it helps if you setup VP correctly outside of RL
This article is extensive and will help you
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=1

The notes in the RL module reads as follows:

; Requires VPinMame v2.4
; If you want to use a picture while the table is loading, place it on the dir with this module and define the width & height and its filename in the variables below.
; You can also set the color of the background
; If you use Esc as your exit_emulator_key, set EscClose to true. The emu closes faster if you don't use Esc, and this value doesn't seem to matter if you use Win7
;
; VPinMame uses the registry to store configs @ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame
; Each time a new table is ran, it pulls the default configs into a new folder in the registry
; Visual Pinball stores settings in the registry @ HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-440413192-1003725550-97281542-1001\Software\Visual Pinball

These notes are found the Visual PInball.ahk, and can be found in .\Modules\Visual Pinball\Visual Pinball.ahk folder

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I don't use RL but I watched that Simply Austin video when it came out thought it was real basic and didn't explain all that much about RL

True, simplyaustin's video is not the most detailed tutorial of them all, but it was certainly enough to convince me to stop using other frontends and switch over to launchbox for good :) As Retro808 mentioned, colpipes1978 has a lot of great tutorials on his youtube page, including this very recent one, with launchbox, rocketlauncher and project64.

to be fair at the point I had seen it I had been using LB for a while already and I had setup RL somewhat enough to get a few systems to launch and to realize it wasn't for me and I thought his video may explain it and more detail and was disappointed because it didn't go any further than what I had already figured out on my own.

@bundangdon and @Retro808 thanks for the mention and glad my tutorials are helping. They are designed to get systems running and utilising what they need to 1st, offer maximum capatability and 2nd, improved graphical capabilities of games and systems. (Taking the N64 for example I show how to use retroarch to get majority of games working with upscaled graphics and other improvements and then using project 64 to run games, with different plugins, to get the problematic games running like rogue squadron and resi evil 2 running and fully playable).

By not going into too much detail and only covering what you need to do with rocketlauncher for that system, I'm hoping not to over complicate things, especially for people new to running rocketlauncher.

However I have wanted to do a more in-depth look into the features and benefits of rocketlauncher as I don't think I'm giving Rocketlauncher the credit it is due certainly with people that have used it frequently and are used to it. 

Again thanks for the mention 

Edited by pipes78
  • Like 2

I've watched a few of the tutorials & basically gave up.  Way too frustrating & time consuming getting VP working in LB. And none of them are pinball specific...So confusing considering there are so many different versions of emulators needed for VP not to mention Future Pinball & the fact Launchbox just lumps them all together as "PINBALL"

Shouldn't have to use Rocketlauncher in the 1st place, I bought BB expecting to run games on whatever emulators I want. This kinda sucks...and I'm guessing there's so few ppl concerned with pinball out there, it's no priority to get working

Edited by stevaside

I feel your frustration as getting any emulator set up can be frustrating. LB launches every emulator I have every thrown at it. Rocketlauncher is a choice and is not mandatory  to use but offers lots of benefits and features. If launchbox is a front end then rocketlauncher is the back end and works together with launchbox and other front ends, to bring these features to the table. 

I think your right that pinball maybe takes a back seat to most which is shame. Is it just pinball you want set up with LB? 

20 minutes ago, pipes78 said:

I feel your frustration as getting any emulator set up can be frustrating. LB launches every emulator I have every thrown at it. Rocketlauncher is a choice and is not mandatory  to use but offers lots of benefits and features. If launchbox is a front end then rocketlauncher is the back end and works together with launchbox and other front ends, to bring these features to the table. 

I think your right that pinball maybe takes a back seat to most which is shame. Is it just pinball you want set up with LB? 

No I mainly use it for MAME, and with the help of some members, didn't have much trouble setting that up. Might add a console or 2 that I don't collect for IRL & I'm sure it will be pretty much the same steps so I'm not too worried

But pinball was my 2nd priority to use within LB...and from what I was told there is no choice but to use Rocketlauncher to get Visual Pinball working. In just Launchbox alone, clicking on a game in the wheel does nothing but open up the Visual Pinball app in another window...and not even the game is selected, you still have to go through VPs menu to find the game, hit play, etc.....which means putting down my arcade joystick & fooling with the keyboard again..not what i expected when I bought BB.  I mean it's pretty much pointless to use LB for VP, only function it serves is letting you look at your pinball artwork

Edited by stevaside

I have never tried visual pinball before so this topic got me curious.  I think the difficulty is because it's not really set up like most of our emulators are.  I never knew you had to load the table and then click play.  Is there an option to just auto play?  That's probably hard to get around. I saw a script button but no idea how to use it. It was a confusing experience.  Also both tables I tried had weird error messages, so I couldn't even test play.  I had more success setting up a system in rocketlauncher the first 5 minutes than I had with VP.  Is there any other pinball programs that are more straight forward and just load a table And play straight away?

Edited by damageinc86

Visual Pinball and Future pinball were both easy.  

path of your Visual Pinball exe and    /play "[romfilename]"

This will launch the Visual Pinball game.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will take a look at my setup when i get home and see if i can give you more instructions if the above doesn't work for you.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:28 PM, NJDave71 said:

I am running visual pinball  and future pinball flawlessly through LB AND BB.  Do u need help?

Future Pinball is working, because I downloaded a special version of it a member here made strictly for Launchbox so it would automatically play games...VP, no such luck..&all anyones ever told me so far was I'd have to use Rocketlauncher

13 hours ago, NJDave71 said:

Visual Pinball and Future pinball were both easy.  

path of your Visual Pinball exe and    /play "[romfilename]"

This will launch the Visual Pinball game.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will take a look at my setup when i get home and see if i can give you more instructions if the above doesn't work for you.

So enter that in the custom command line parameter box of each individual game you're saying should get it to work? If so that'd be very time consuming, but better than nothing I suppose

EDIT: Tried this with a couple games in the command line parameter box under the emulation tab, and not working..keep getting "error loading" message when I click the games

Edited by stevaside