LaunchBox Community Forums

exit games and emulators

BTr

hi all,

i want to use player 2 select (button 9) in every game and emulator to exit to bigbox...

i copied this command in autohotkey script i saw in one of the emulators that was automatically created, i was using it until now that i moved my pc to an arcade cabinet (using no keyboard):

; This section closes Demul when pressing Escape
$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

How can i modify it to use button 9 on second controller instead ESC to exit any emulator and games no matter what? I use button 9 on first controller to insert coin...

need a help because i dont have plans to use a keyboard...i just need this button or a combination to exit games and emulators anytime like this script do. Thanks

Edited by BTr

38 minutes ago, zetec-s-joe said:

If you use Premium there is an option in Big Box to set Controller Commands, You can make start+select exit current emulator/game, works for the best part of all emulators I use, works a treat.

I tried enable automation control in bigbox but could not be able to find any option to use a combination for exit any emulator, How can i do It?

This ESC script Works so perfect, is there not a way to use It as a Controller Button?

Edited by BTr

1 hour ago, BTr said:

I tried enable automation control in bigbox but could not be able to find any option to use a combination for exit any emulator, How can i do It?

This ESC script Works so perfect, is there not a way to use It as a Controller Button?

59bb0a4fe66e5_ControllerAutomationExample.thumb.jpg.9180b22577dd1be6aab72109ade6a7d3.jpgYou specify the combination button in the "hold this button" field. You click the field, then press the button on your controller. Then you do the same thing for the function you want to use - in this case "close the active window". Then you just hold the "hold this button" button, and then press the other button to do that function.

Keep in mind that the controller automation close function doesn't work with some emulators - specifically ones that don't accept simulated keyboard inputs. It's rare, but there are a few. When this happens, you can add the close script you showed above in that emulator's AHK page, and controller automation's close function will work at that point (because it works based on a simulated "ESC" input in the background).

{
}

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/2/2019 at 1:40 AM, astraboy1981 said:
Can I exit a windows pc game with the escape key? I've googled and googled and I've tried using scripts like :-

{
}

but no luck, cheers in advance

seeking the answer to this as well.  just made a post about it matter a fact. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Jayinem said:

It baffles me that here we are in 2020, and recent PC games make it difficult to exit the freaking game. Even PS4 you can hit the PS button and go to the PS4 main menu, and easily close the game same for Xbox One.  But somehow on PC, it's difficult. 

A PC specifically ISNT a console. And you can do exactly what you want with a simple ALT-TAB.

• 9 months later...
On 8/17/2020 at 9:17 AM, neil9000 said:

A PC specifically ISNT a console. And you can do exactly what you want with a simple ALT-TAB.

fuck you lamer, if the purpose of this shit is launch fucking games makes no sense you cannot exit the game. so what's the fucking difference between console and pc, you don't know nothing, it's fucking simple to catch a key combination, are you a coder ? i am and i'm saying to you thats ridiculous to implement, if you guys can't do this you can't do nothing, this is a fucking crap and will not pay for that shit

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oslnx said:

Whoa, calm down little fella. PC games are meant to be closed via their own menus. And as long as a game has controller support, you can do this easily with a controller too. And it is not that you can not force close a pc game via a script, just that it is not recommended because force closing a pc game can lead to corruption. Corruption of the game itself as well as save files.  Just close your pc games via its own menu. That's how they where designed. Deal with it.

Edited by Koroth

lol, that was quite a tirade. I like how he completely ignored me saying that Alt Tab works to switch out of a game, and also seemed to make up that i said Launchbox couldn't exit from PC games, i never said anything of the sort in this thread. Someone got their panty's in a twist.

• Haha 1