LaunchBox Community Forums

On 11/4/2017 at 7:58 AM, neil9000 said:

I am also getting a error at launch which I will paste below. I did a bit of testing and narrowed it down a little. I have my bigbox set to launch into the platform list, and I hit this error every single time I launch Bigbox, however I can just click close on the error and Bigbox continues to work as normal. However if I go into the Bigbox options and set it to launch into the Platform categories rather than just platforms I do not get the error, so it seems to be isolated to starting up into Platforms only.

@neil9000: I've not been able to replicate this yet but will try some more.

24 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I have narrowed it down some more and it only happens when using vlc. In this video I launch bigbox while using WMP and don't get the error, I then switch to VLC and re-launch bigbox and I hit the error.

Thanks for the video. Is there anything unusual about your setup? Do you use the copy of VLC that comes with LB or another one? Did you test with a fresh copy of Nostalgia without any additions or customizations? Does is happen only when starting BB and loading directly into your Arcade playlist (as a platform), or does it happen with other platforms like Sega Master System?

Also, there seems to be a very long delay between the BB startup video and when the platform view is loaded.  Is this something you've noticed for awhile?  Mine loads up pretty quickly.

20 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Also, there seems to be a very long delay between the BB startup video and when the platform view is loaded.  Is this something you've noticed for awhile?  Mine loads up pretty quickly.

That's always been like that for me, takes a good 10 seconds usually, been like that on all versions I tested. I do have a VLC install on my system but Launchbox/Bigbox only use the one in the Launchbox folder, as far as I know that cant be changed by the user. I am not loading into any playlists when launching Bigbox its just the standard platform view. I did copy over my index files from the previous version, so i'll download a fresh copy and test on that.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

That's always been like that for me, takes a good 10 seconds usually, been like that on all versions I tested.

Okay, then that's probably due to the plugin caching details about your library, to make other aspects of the theme faster. Your library is probably a lot more complex than mine, so it's taking a bit longer to chew on the library details. I'll try to improve this load time in the future.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I did copy over my index files from the previous version, so i'll download a fresh copy and test on that.

Thanks again. Please let me know what you find.

OK, I just downloaded a fresh copy of the theme and tested with that, no real difference than mine with the slightly edited index.

10 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Your library is probably a lot more complex than mine, so it's taking a bit longer to chew on the library details

There is nothing in my library or the way its setup than anybody elses, its just the default ways that Launchbox sets up systems, I haven't changed anything or done anything different than what any other user would do when importing there systems.

Updated to 1-beta3, hopefully fixing the VLC crashes which have been a pain. This fix also allowed me to reintroduce hardware accelerated decoding to VLC (which had increased crash rate in the past). I've not noticed any crashes on my system with this update, but please let me know if you spot any with VLC.

10 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Thanks for looking into it. I have narrowed it down some more and it only happens when using vlc. In this video I launch bigbox while using WMP and don't get the error, I then switch to VLC and re-launch bigbox and I hit the error.

Don't see how this would be related to the above VLC fix, but please let me know if you're still noticing this error. Thanks again for the video.

On 11/4/2017 at 1:24 PM, alnyden said:

Uh oh, just got another freeze.  It's the first time it happened since I switched to WMP but it's basically the same issue -- started to get sluggish while scrolling and then froze.  The audio is still playing (I think from the soundtrack) but video went black and can not navigate any more.

If that freeze with WMP occurs again, please send me a screenshot of the error message. I've not been getting reports of freezes with WMP (like I was for VLC).

1 minute ago, Omen said:

@eatkinola Beta 3 is still really laggy for me, especially when backing out of platforms and back to the category list. Is there a way for me to change the wheel fade time in version 0.98a? That's still the best performing version for me.

Yeah I am having the same issue. General performance is good, but when I back out of a platform and scroll up or down to select another platform the theme seems to pause for at least 5 seconds while it loads in the background image for the next platform. The program takes no input during this time, so I just have to sit there and wait for the background to load in before I can navigate again.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah I am having the same issue. General performance is good, but when I back out of a platform and scroll up or down to select another platform the theme seems to pause for at least 5 seconds while it loads in the background image for the next platform. The program takes no input during this time, so I just have to sit there and wait for the background to load in before I can navigate again.

That's exactly what's happening for me. It's weird because you'd think the cache system would speed things up, but I think it's the root of the problem.

1 minute ago, Omen said:

That's exactly what's happening for me. It's weird because you'd think the cache system would speed things up, but I think it's the root of the problem.

Yeah and it only seems to be the initial input when backing out of the platform, once that freeze/pause has ended I can scroll through my whole platform list just fine, backgrounds pop in just as they should while moving through the list, it's just that initial back out from a games list to the platform list that hangs for between 5-10 seconds on my system.

@neil9000 @Omen: Thanks for the feedback. I'm not seeing that problem on my system, but your posts help narrow down where I should look. Does it occur with WMP or VLC, or both?

PS please try out VLC in beta-3 if not already. I'm hoping to have fixed the lockups.

@Omen: Yes, you should be able to adjust the fade timings in 0.98. Not sure because at work, but should be a style parameter value you can change in Nostalgia.xaml. Look in the section on the wheel views, towards the bottom of that section.

Edited by eatkinola
better instructions for omen

2 hours ago, eatkinola said:

@Omen: Yes, you should be able to adjust the fade timings in 0.98. Not sure because at work, but should be a style parameter value you can change in Nostalgia.xaml. Look in the section on the wheel views, towards the bottom of that section.

Awesome thanks! I'll play around with it and see what I can find, and I'll keep testing each new build of course :)

Edited by Omen

7 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

What systems do you have in mind?

Well, the ones that round out my collection (so far) would be:

Amiga
Amstrad CPC 
Atari ST 
Commodore 64 
Magnavox Odyssey 2
Microsoft MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ 
PC-8801 
PC-9801 
Philips CD-i 
Sega SG-1000
Sharp X68000 
Super Game Boy
Watara Supervision
Wonderswan
Wonderswan Color

I've been trying to add more computer systems but it's rough. I don't know what to even shoot for next. Things get so complicated. Anyway, thanks again. :)

11 hours ago, ReaperZer0 said:

Amiga
Amstrad CPC 
Atari ST 
Commodore 64 
Magnavox Odyssey 2
Microsoft MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ 
PC-8801 
PC-9801 
Philips CD-i 
Sega SG-1000
Sharp X68000 
Super Game Boy
Watara Supervision
Wonderswan
Wonderswan Color

I've been trying to add more computer systems but it's rough. I don't know what to even shoot for next. Things get so complicated. Anyway, thanks again. :)

Did you inspect the downloads? it seems most systems you mention are in here. as  far as video's are concerned anyway.

Edited by Klopjero

11 hours ago, ReaperZer0 said:

Amiga
Amstrad CPC 

@ReaperZer0 Sure I can get to those. Glad you like the theme.

22 minutes ago, Klopjero said:

Did you inspect the downloads? it seems most systems you mention are in here. as  far as video's are concerned anyway.

@Klopjero Thanks, that's exactly what I use for the source material. Viking gave me permission, so I turn his videos into stills with a cropped out screen and screen glass effects. He created about 250 background videos. I've already included the most common systems in the theme, and I'll add more as requested. It takes time to crop the screen etc, so I didn't just do them all up front.

Updated v1.0-beta4, please see download page for changelog.

@Omen: Added a config parameter to maintain video aspect ratios. It's off by default, but look in Nostalgia.xaml for AspectRatioPreserved and set that flag to True. Please try and out and let me know what you think.

@ReaperZer0: Added some platforms for you. I ran out of steam before I finished them all, but I'll keep them on my list of things to do. Thanks for the suggestions.

P.s. Think we're getting close to making the v1 release "official". Let me know if you spot any bugs. @Omen and @neil9000: I'll pm you about that slowdown y'all noticed so we can work on that before the release.

Edited by eatkinola
added download link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1