LaunchBox Community Forums

1 hour ago, eatkinola said:

Sure, look for the Ao.Bigbox.Dropins.dll.txt file in the same directory as the plugin. Edit the FavoriteCount, RandomCount, etc. This feature (to change the counts) was broken in the current version of the plugin, so please use the version attached to this post.

I modified to plugin so playlists are also generated when LB starts, so it'll work for both LB and BB now.

Ao.Bigbox.Dropins.dll

Wow, this is just awesome. 

Thank you again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just switched over to this theme and I'm really loving it. Such a clean and great looking layout. Using the game list with clear logos seems to leave quite a few games that I don't have proper images for. This results in regular text that is too big for the space provided and hard to read. I switched to the list view, but the text here seems bigger than other list views I've been accustomed to. Can anyone confirm that this is this how it should appear or is it a scaling issue (4k TV with 300% windows scaling)? Either way, I'm not complaining about it, I'm just curious if there's something on my end I can do to fix it. 

Screenshot (1).png

9 hours ago, emudude said:

Just switched over to this theme and I'm really loving it. Such a clean and great looking layout. Using the game list with clear logos seems to leave quite a few games that I don't have proper images for. This results in regular text that is too big for the space provided and hard to read. I switched to the list view, but the text here seems bigger than other list views I've been accustomed to. Can anyone confirm that this is this how it should appear or is it a scaling issue (4k TV with 300% windows scaling)? Either way, I'm not complaining about it, I'm just curious if there's something on my end I can do to fix it. 

Screenshot (1).png

Yeah my guess there is a windows scaling issue, 300% is a massive offset. You can try right clicking the Bigbox .exe go to properties/compatibility and check the box to override high DPI scaling, scaling performed by the application. This may or may not work though.

Screenshot (310).png

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah my guess there is a windows scaling issue, 300% is a massive offset. You can try right clicking the Bigbox .exe go to properties/compatibility and check the box to override high DPI scaling, scaling performed by the application. This may or may not work though.

Thank you for the suggestion! I gave it a shot, but unfortunately it didn't have an effect. Dropping it down to 200% does help a bit so it is definitely an issue with windows scaling being above 100%. Oh well, not much I can do. Since the TV is 4k and in my living room, there's no way I'd be able to lower it to 100% full-time. 

Yeah unfortunately that is a issue with a lot of themes, they are designed for 16:9 1080p displays and it is actually quite tricky to support multiple resolutions without actually re-coding the theme.

This doesn't solve your issue if you specifically want to use Nostalgia as its a great theme but the one below is specifically designed for 4K screens.

5 hours ago, bmonomad said:

love the theme layout, but keep getting an error popup as attached to this post.

any suggestions? couldn't figure it out myself.

Glad you like the theme. Thanks for reporting the error. It looks due to a problem reading one of the images for the view. Does it always happen on the same view? With the same platform or game? I should be able to catch this exception in case of a 'bad' image. Perhaps you could pm me the images that might be causing the problem?

6 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Glad you like the theme. Thanks for reporting the error. It looks due to a problem reading one of the images for the view. Does it always happen on the same view? With the same platform or game? I should be able to catch this exception in case of a 'bad' image. Perhaps you could pm me the images that might be causing the problem?

Just tested - happens on platform wheel 1, 2, and 3.  doesn't seem to occur in the horizontal (games) views.

Just as a note - this is a fresh install of the theme and haven't added anything in it's folders.  Media pulled from launchbox hasn't caused any issues with other themes.  it's being run in 16:9 (4k res) with 300% scaling (turning off scaling didnt help).

4 minutes ago, bmonomad said:

Just tested - happens on platform wheel 1, 2, and 3.  doesn't seem to occur in the horizontal (games) views.

Okay, so it's probably related to the platform clear logo or banner images. If it occurs for specific platforms, could you please private message me those platform images?

5 minutes ago, bmonomad said:

Just as a note - this is a fresh install of the theme and haven't added anything in it's folders.  Media pulled from launchbox hasn't caused any issues with other themes.  it's being run in 16:9 (4k res) with 300% scaling (turning off scaling didnt help).

That makes sense. Nostalgia uses a custom control to load cached versions of these images, to help the theme work more smoothly. Thanks again for pointing out this bug.

25 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Okay, so it's probably related to the platform clear logo or banner images. If it occurs for specific platforms, could you please private message me those platform images?

That makes sense. Nostalgia uses a custom control to load cached versions of these images, to help the theme work more smoothly. Thanks again for pointing out this bug.

Good call.  It seems to have something to do with the platform views pulling game banners as a priority over the media you included with the theme.  It still crashed no matter what horizontal banners it pulled.  Once I removed the entire launchbox->images-folder, there was no crashing.  Maybe there is a line of code we can add to prioritize your theme images over launchbox's?

Not sure if this will help or not, but I found with many themes that use different images for clear logo/platforms than what's in LB by default, once I switch to that theme in BB I often find I need to go to Options->Image Cache and go through and refresh the images (basically click on each of the items listed that say refresh one by one).  Then, when I go back to the theme the correct images that are included in the theme folders are loaded properly.  Not sure if this helps or not in this case, but thought I'd mention it in case it does :)

Edited by CDBlue

1 minute ago, CDBlue said:

Not sure if this will help or not, but I found with many themes that use different images for clear logo/platforms once I switch to that theme in BB I often find I need to go to Options->Image Cache and go through and refresh the images (basically click on each of the items listed that say refresh one by one).  Then, when I go back to the them the correct items are loaded.  Not sure if this helps or not in this case, but thought I'd mention it in case it does :)

thanks blue, yea I did try that to no avail unfortunately.  but definitely overlooked aspect of switching themes :)

20 minutes ago, bmonomad said:

Once I removed the entire launchbox->images-folder, there was no crashing.  Maybe there is a line of code we can add to prioritize your theme images over launchbox's?

My plugin should already prioritize any images in the theme folder, but it will fall back to LaunchBox \ Images if needed. My plugin seems to have trouble reading some of the image files in your LaunchBox \ Images folder. I can add a few lines of code to catch that exception, but if you send me your platform clear logo and banner images, perhaps I can do one better and find a proper fix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If you have front and back box images it allows you to see the front box image and then flip to see the back box image. 

Thanks, Kind of what I figured... I guess the few times I tried it must have been with a game that I only had the front art for so obviously nothing happened.