LaunchBox Community Forums

7.12-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Gotcha. Yeah, that's definitely caused by the aggressive RAM cleanups then. I'm planning on backing them off for the official release here.

Sounds good.  I didn't notice any issues a couple betas ago, it was really smooth and fast.  

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Gotcha. Yeah, that's definitely caused by the aggressive RAM cleanups then. I'm planning on backing them off for the official release here.

that's probably best. i'd rather have a better experience. on my 8GB system, i'm running it now with WMP set to see if it helps at all. if not, just disable attract mode and hopefully that will keep usage down at while playing, and then just close/reopen BB before playing the next time

@ckp Of course, try as I may, I cannot produce any memory issues with your data. I have images and videos for most of your platforms, though it's possible that something could be caused by your specific media. Or it's possible that your hardware was having trouble keeping up with the garbage collection for some reason. In the tests I ran I saw the memory go up to 1.7 gigs at one point, but shot back down to 900 megs shortly after and spent the majority of the time in that range.

I'm gonna go ahead with the official release here for now; we can revisit if you're still seeing RAM usage continue to grow as time goes on. I did heavily reduce the memory reduction routine as to prevent the video issues and hiccups that were caused by it, so it's not going to be as aggressive as it was before either.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

@NJDave71 @alnyden How much RAM do you guys have? Those issues may be being caused by the aggressive RAM cleanups I put into place.

Processor                               AMD A8-7650K Processor Unlocked Quad Core 3.3GHz Radeon R7 GPU
Memory                                  8GB DDR3
Graphics Card                       AMD Radeon R7 250 Graphics Card - 1GB DDR5
SSD                                         Crucial 120GB (OS ONLY)
HDD                                        Western Digital Blue 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD (all APPS and Programs)
OS                                           Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit (Creator Edition)

• Like 1

@NJDave71 @alnyden I'm putting out the official release momentarily. Let me know if you guys are still seeing those issues once you download the official release. @NJDave71, I'm most concerned with the lockups. Were they temporary or complete freezes? Try disabling any plugins to make sure that they're not the cause. Also, what theme are you using?

@NJDave71 Gotcha with the specs. Also make sure your CoverFlow image quality setting is set to Medium or Low or Lowest, as I discovered recently that 8 gig systems have a lot of trouble with CoverFlow using the full size images (you'll also have to refresh your CoverFlow images if you change that setting).

Just now, Jason Carr said:

@NJDave71 @alnyden I'm putting out the official release momentarily. Let me know if you guys are still seeing those issues once you download the official release. @NJDave71, I'm most concerned with the lockups. Were they temporary or complete freezes? Try disabling any plugins to make sure that they're not the cause. Also, what theme are you using?

Temporary but frequent as i changed views.     Sometimes when i would scroll I would hear the sound and it would catch up.      

Just now, Jason Carr said:

@NJDave71 Gotcha with the specs. Also make sure your CoverFlow image quality setting is set to Medium or Low or Lowest, as I discovered recently that 8 gig systems have a lot of trouble with CoverFlow using the full size images (you'll also have to refresh your CoverFlow images if you change that setting).

ok.  I can try that later when i am home,  

25 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Of course, try as I may, I cannot produce any memory issues with your data. I have images and videos for most of your platforms, though it's possible that something could be caused by your specific media. Or it's possible that your hardware was having trouble keeping up with the garbage collection for some reason. In the tests I ran I saw the memory go up to 1.7 gigs at one point, but shot back down to 900 megs shortly after and spent the majority of the time in that range.

I'm gonna go ahead with the official release here for now; we can revisit if you're still seeing RAM usage continue to grow as time goes on. I did heavily reduce the memory reduction routine as to prevent the video issues and hiccups that were caused by it, so it's not going to be as aggressive as it was before either.

Holy crap. I've been running my 8GB htpc with attract mode for 3 hours now and commit size is only 1.1 to 1.2GB!! This is with one single change - WMP!! It seems the root of all LB/BB evils on all my LB/BB systems is VLC! All good now! Just use WMP!

Just now, ckp said:

Holy crap. I've been running my 8GB htpc with attract mode for 3 hours now and commit size is only 1.1 to 1.2GB!! This is with one single change - WMP!! It seems the root of all LB/BB evils on all my LB/BB systems is VLC! All good now! Just use WMP!

I haven't seen any real leaks with VLC, but yes, it does use a large amount of RAM, so it makes sense that memory would be significantly reduced when switching to WMP. :)

Just now, ckp said:

You may need a codec pack if you have webm videos for your steam games. WMP wont play them natively.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

You may need a codec pack if you have webm videos for your steam games. WMP wont play them natively.

thanks i have that cuz i've always had to use WMP in LB since LB crashes intermittently when using VLC setting.

Edited by ckp
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NJDave71 said:

So, we should switch back to WMP?

I see no reason to switch to WMP if you are not having any issues or memory usage issues with evil VLC. But you might want to try WMP for comparison. You might find BB using much less memory with WMP.